Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection dropping

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Just wondering could someone suggest anything for this problem.

Have broadband and generally works ok for browsing etc. Bit slow for YouTube and uploading but I would live with that.

Recently though the connection has been dropping quite frequently then reconnecting after 30 seconds or so.

This is particularly annoying because we use an internet radio so frequent drops make it hard to listen.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Just wondering could someone suggest anything for this problem.

Have broadband and generally works ok for browsing etc. Bit slow for YouTube and uploading but I would live with that.

Recently though the connection has been dropping quite frequently then reconnecting after 30 seconds or so.

This is particularly annoying because we use an internet radio so frequent drops make it hard to listen.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks

Hi redandwhite,

When having an intermittent broadband connection there are a huge amount of possible reasons/causes for this. The first thing we always recommend is carrying out the steps listed in this checklist from our own forum. It gives the basic troubleshooting steps that we request all customers to carry out when experiencing issues. These steps resolve the issue in most cases based on our experience. They also make the next steps a lot easier if we need to look into it further. Try the checklist and if there are no improvements then PM me the account number and I'll look into it for you.

Cheers

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi again redandwhite,

If you have already completed the above checklist and the issue still remains then the next step is to call technical support directly on 1890 260 260. The reason I ask you to call is that they have remote access to log into modems and upgrade the firmware for you. This is not a guaranteed fix but it is something that we should rule out. Tech support will then carry out some further troubleshooting over the phone. I have to mention though that based on the line stats, the distance from the local exchange is likely to be part of the issue. The stats are fairly borderline with regards to acceptable levels and also you are on an 'extended reach' setup which means you are just outside the normal coverage area for broadband but with some adaptations to the connection to allow a slightly further reach. Try the firmware upgrade first and let us know how it goes for you.

Regards

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

Got onto that number.

Spoke to Brian and he checked and said line was dropping and that they would send tech out.

That was one week ago. Heard nothing to say whether trees had been cut, line fixed etc.

Line has improved but still not great. Internet radio drops and Internet drops sometimes when phone in use.

Any chance you can tell me what if anything was done? My download speed is less than 1mb.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Got onto that number.

Spoke to Brian and he checked and said line was dropping and that they would send tech out.

That was one week ago. Heard nothing to say whether trees had been cut, line fixed etc.

Line has improved but still not great. Internet radio drops and Internet drops sometimes when phone in use.

Any chance you can tell me what if anything was done? My download speed is less than 1mb.

Cheers.

Hi redandwhite,

I spoke to managers in broadband technical support and they confirmed the call made to support at the end of July.

Apologies but the fault was not escalated correctly.

So I have logged the fault - REF 11407701

I have asked to expedite a call out. I will track the progress and get back to you with any updates.

Thanks, Mark

Hi redandwhite,

I spoke to managers in broadband technical support and they confirmed the call made to support at the end of July.

Apologies but the fault was not escalated correctly.

So I have logged the fault - REF 11407701

I have asked to expedite a call out. I will track the progress and get back to you with any updates.

Thanks, Mark

Cheers,

Much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Cheers,

Much appreciated!

No problem,

sorry about the delay. i will get back to with any updates as I receive them.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

Got a phone call last week to say they had fixed something in exchange.

It's improved but still getting signal drops.

I'm wondering is it due to line coming through trees. We had problems with that before and perhaps with the rain the branches are heavier and have damaged the line???

Would appreciate if you could look into it and let me know what's the situation.

Thanks.

Hi,

Got a phone call last week to say they had fixed something in exchange.

It's improved but still getting signal drops.

I'm wondering is it due to line coming through trees. We had problems with that before and perhaps with the rain the branches are heavier and have damaged the line???

Would appreciate if you could look into it and let me know what's the situation.

Thanks.

Hi redandwhite,

The telephone line & connection are testing perfectly on the network side since the engineer was out on Friday afternoon.

Would you mind going through the checklist - http://bit.ly/RN6MXn Just to see is any change,

Thanks, Mark

Has been ok last few days.

What speed should I be getting?

Can you tell from your end? Just wondering maybe the modem is faulty. I'm getting less than 1mb.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Has been ok last few days.

What speed should I be getting?

Can you tell from your end? Just wondering maybe the modem is faulty. I'm getting less than 1mb.

Thanks

Hi redandwhite,

Your broadband Account is 'Broadband - Home Starter', which is up to 1Mb. Therefore the expected average speed should be approximately 0.72Mb or 720Kb.

Your phoneline was recently tested by the engineers and it prequalifies for just over 1Mb. Your broadband is considered as 'amber' or 'Extended Reach'. That is, your phoneline is 2.5KM or more from the exchange. eircom's ADSL fixed-line broadband is rate adaptive based and also distant dependent, so being in an amber region will impact on availing of faster broadband (speeds).

You can test your speed on either speedtest.net or www.eircom.net/speedtest. You should get around 0.7Mb.

Let me know if you need further help.

Best Regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Hi redandwhite,

Your broadband Account is 'Broadband - Home Starter', which is up to 1Mb. Therefore the expected average speed should be approximately 0.72Mb or 720Kb.

Your phoneline was recently tested by the engineers and it prequalifies for just over 1Mb. Your broadband is considered as 'amber' or 'Extended Reach'. That is, your phoneline is 2.5KM or more from the exchange. eircom's ADSL fixed-line broadband is rate adaptive based and also distant dependent, so being in an amber region will impact on availing of faster broadband (speeds).

You can test your speed on either speedtest.net or www.eircom.net/speedtest. You should get around 0.7Mb.

Let me know if you need further help.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Hi,

Things have improved but still getting occasional drops.

Internet radio drops every 15 to 20 mins. The green lights go out on Modem and it takes a minute to reconnect.

Is there a possibility we could have a faulty modem? Noticed on other threads there is mention of updating firmware and/or faulty modem.

Thanks

Hi,

Things have improved but still getting occasional drops.

Internet radio drops every 15 to 20 mins. The green lights go out on Modem and it takes a minute to reconnect.

Is there a possibility we could have a faulty modem? Noticed on other threads there is mention of updating firmware and/or faulty modem.

Thanks

Hi redandwhite,

I ran some more tests and compared them to the tests I ran last week, there are no issues on the network side.

It may just be the case that due to the distance from the Glenville exchange that the max 1MB connection / speed may disconnect depending on the number of devices connected I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

whats the story with zyxel routers and dropping connection? i had an old netopia router for years until last week when it finally gave up and it was ok but the minute i get this new router i start having connection problems. i have heard numerous similar cases involving eircom and zyxel routers has there been any common solutions or are they just terrible cheap routers that save eircom a buck

whats the story with zyxel routers and dropping connection? i had an old netopia router for years until last week when it finally gave up and it was ok but the minute i get this new router i start having connection problems. i have heard numerous similar cases involving eircom and zyxel routers has there been any common solutions or are they just terrible cheap routers that save eircom a buck

Hi blahfckingblah,

Thank you for your post. The modem itself may not be the source of your broadband issue. In order to help locate this, can you try the following quick broadband check :

Broadband Check

If you are still experiencing an issue with your connection, you will need to call into Broadband Support. Technical Support may need to escalate a case to the engineers after running some real time checks.

If your modem is found to be faulty, then the following may help you:

eircom Modem Replacement Options:

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Please retain your case id (reference) from Technical Support, as this will help if you need to follow this up.

Let me know if you need further advice.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Hi redandwhite,

I ran some more tests and compared them to the tests I ran last week, there are no issues on the network side.

It may just be the case that due to the distance from the Glenville exchange that the max 1MB connection / speed may disconnect depending on the number of devices connected I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

Appreciate all the work you're doing and the prompt replies. Very impressed!

Just to clarify, you are saying there is definitely no problem with my modem? I see others are having issues with Zyxel which is what I have.

My connection is still dropping occasionally so something is not right.

Could there be any problem with my modem?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

In my old house I was also with Eircom.

The Netopia router was faultless until it died. It was replaced by two different Zyxel routers in several months and both suffered regular connection drops. I then purchased my own third-party router in Argos (around €60), the tech team in Eircom helped configure the settings and I then enjoyed a perfect connection for the remaining months of the contract.

Hope this helps as not many people seem to know they can buy their own routers and have them configured to work with Eircom connections.

In my old house I was also with Eircom.

The Netopia router was faultless until it died. It was replaced by two different Zyxel routers in several months and both suffered regular connection drops. I then purchased my own third-party router in Argos (around €60), the tech team in Eircom helped configure the settings and I then enjoyed a perfect connection for the remaining months of the contract.

Hope this helps as not many people seem to know they can buy their own routers and have them configured to work with Eircom connections.

Cheers.

Very interesting!!!

Any comment Eircom???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I found the problem with the zyxel router was the re-authentication timer,its set to 1800 seconds which means that every half an hour your connection will drop for a few seconds.Change this value to 9999 and you should be grand.This only appears to be an issue when using WPA or WPA2 security on the router.

Squaredude wrote: »
    I found the problem with the zyxel router was the re-authentication timer,its set to 1800 seconds which means that every half an hour your connection will drop for a few seconds.Change this value to 9999 and you should be grand.This only appears to be an issue when using WPA or WPA2 security on the router.

Cheers.

Next q.....how???:confused:

Any Eircom lads on to advise what to do re. Modem????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Cheers.

Next q.....how???:confused:
    Login to your router and under the Network heading go to Wireless LAN.You should see on the right your security mode,under this is the reauthentication timer and just change that to 9999 and apply.

Hi,

Appreciate all the work you're doing and the prompt replies. Very impressed!

Just to clarify, you are saying there is definitely no problem with my modem? I see others are having issues with Zyxel which is what I have.

My connection is still dropping occasionally so something is not right.

Could there be any problem with my modem?

Thanks again.

Hi redandwhite,

Thanks, yes the issue could be with the modem.
    The best way we've found to check this is to rule out all other possibilities on our quick broadband check :

Broadband Check

If you need help with running these checks, or replacing your modem, contact Broadband Support :

If the modem is faulty then you will need to replace this :

Modem Replacement Options

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 8am - 10pm (7 days).

Let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards
    Ant

Squaredude wrote: »
    Login to your router and under the Network heading go to Wireless LAN.You should see on the right your security mode,under this is the reauthentication timer and just change that to 9999 and apply.

Cheers.

Hi redandwhite,

Thanks, yes the issue could be with the modem.
    The best way we've found to check this is to rule out all other possibilities on our quick broadband check :

Broadband Check

If you need help with running these checks, or replacing your modem, contact Broadband Support :

If the modem is faulty then you will need to replace this :

Modem Replacement Options

Let me know if I can help further.

Kind Regards
    Ant

Thanks

Advertisement