Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work in Ireland

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10

Hi there,
    Could someone tell me if I buy an electrical item from America that uses Electrical: 120 Volts / 60Hz / 600 Watts. What will I need to do to use it in Ireland? Is is just a matter of changing the plug?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi there,
    Could someone tell me if I buy an electrical item from America that uses Electrical: 120 Volts / 60Hz / 600 Watts. What will I need to do to use it in Ireland? Is is just a matter of changing the plug?
    Many thanks

No given the information above it will not work in Ireland unless you get a suitable transformer. You'd be looking at a min of a 700W transformer, which is quite a large transformer, very heavy and not that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I'm afraid that you will need a step-down transformer. The more knowledgable of the folks here might point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

You can get a converter or transformer for it. There cheap enough on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

You'll need a transformer to step down from our 230V to the 120V.

I'm open to correction, but I think the 60Hz shouldn't be an issue, depends on what the item is I guess.

As it's 600W, you'll not be needing a huge transformer. 1kVA or something like that.

Something like this:

http://www.taunus-transformatoren.de/transformers/techdata.php4?typ=120%20198%20800

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UK-version-Step-down230-converter/dp/B000L99ZLA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1343398088&sr=8-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

800va auto transformer

184+vat seems very expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Can you give further details on the device you are trying to connect.

There might be other ways of doing it if we understood what the appliance was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mcauto

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTREoe60FaLxtkGUfCDDyOU5Ype2k_AC3OtfOVCHLlVFB7RHuOulA

u will need a transformer like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Lots of 110v tools being sold on d/deal and the likes are U.S. imports, which on low voltage power tools are just ok through a 110 yellow transformer, but larger motors and battery charged items will work but not as the should, the voltage from the transformer is too low, especially when the draw comes on the circuit, and the frequency is also wrong (50 as opposed to 60hz)
    Though at 600 watt the only issue you will have with a yellow box is it is quite heavy, plus you will have to put a nasty looking yellow plug on your item,

But if it from the home depot, this won't cause an issue.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

if it has a motor the 60hz could be an issue as this could impact on the "speed" of the unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If it has an induction motor it would run slower here. If its a universal motor with brushes such as tools etc have, it will run at the right speed once the voltage is right, independent of the hz being 50 or 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

More details needed.Some computers just have a switch at the back that changes the voltage needed, some other things are self regulating like the blackberry chargers(AFAIK) so without knowing the item it is impossible to give an answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 vintagechina

Just want to say thanks for all the help everyone.
    Very much appreciated.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PC1971

http://www.jondon.com/ea-prospector-500psi-hot-priority-manufacturing.html

Hi, i am thinking of importing this piece of equipment above into Ireland, its coming from USA and works of 110/120 volt, will i be able to operate it on the irish electricity supply 220 volt, i think i will need some sort of transformer, any advice from sparks out there , cheers Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

PC1971 wrote: »
    http://www.jondon.com/ea-prospector-500psi-hot-priority-manufacturing.html

Hi, i am thinking of importing this piece of equipment above into Ireland, its coming from USA and works of 110/120 volt, will i be able to operate it on the irish electricity supply 220 volt, i think i will need some sort of transformer, any advice from sparks out there , cheers Paul.

You'll need something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-transformer-converter-commando-outlets/dp/B001U153NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383433878&sr=8-1&keywords=120vac+converter+2000w

• Registered Users Posts: 23 PC1971

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

coylemj wrote: »

Did you read the review of this on Amazon?

1.0 out of 5 stars please use caution when buying, 1 Oct 2010

"By Daniel Capstick-bedson (crawley, west sussex) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

This review is from: 3.0KVA 2.5KW 2500W Stepdown mains power transformer voltage converter UK mains AC 240v to 110v with 16Amp yellow commando style 110v outlets. (Electronics)

this item is being advertised as a USA to UK converter, but it is just a building site saftey converter. While it is true that the unit will convert UK electricity supply to 110 volts, the units are not actually made to run USA appliances and as such are not made to deal with the difference in line current. Ie; USA use 60hz and the UK uses 50hz, these converters are not made to deal with that difference, which could mean your USA appliance will not work correctly or may be damaged."

1.0 out of 5 stars please use caution when buying, 1 Oct 2010

"By Daniel Capstick-bedson (crawley, west sussex) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

This review is from: 3.0KVA 2.5KW 2500W Stepdown mains power transformer voltage converter UK mains AC 240v to 110v with 16Amp yellow commando style 110v outlets. (Electronics)

this item is being advertised as a USA to UK converter, but it is just a building site saftey converter. While it is true that the unit will convert UK electricity supply to 110 volts, the units are not actually made to run USA appliances and as such are not made to deal with the difference in line current. Ie; USA use 60hz and the UK uses 50hz, these converters are not made to deal with that difference, which could mean your USA appliance will not work correctly or may be damaged."

I dont think the quoting of an amazon review is all that necessary. The 50/60hz difference has already been mentioned in the thread.

There is nothing wrong with the transformer in that review either, its the description of it that is misleading, although looking again, it does not seem to state it is a UK to USA converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, not before I posted the link but if you go back to the Amazon page and that guy's review, below it there is a link to '3 comments', one of which has been deleted but the two remaining comments politely tell the guy that's he's talking sh1te.

coylemj wrote: »
    No, not before I posted the link but if you go back to the Amazon page and that guy's review, below it there is a link to '3 comments', one of which has been deleted but the two remaining comments politely tell the guy that's he's talking sh1te.

He is talking rubbish alright, although one of the comments stating that power tools will rotate slower on 50hz than 60hz is not really correct unless they have induction motors in them, which would be highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

I bought an american vacum (120v) for the car, thinking that a transformer would only cost around 10 or 20 Euro...I only decided to research the power requirements after I bought the product...

Am I right in figuring that if the Vacum is 6 amps, then 6x120v equals 720W. To buy a transformer that can handle 720 W costs more that the vacum!

Is there any way around this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I bought an american vacum (120v) for the car, thinking that a transformer would only cost around 10 or 20 Euro...I only decided to research the power requirements after I bought the product...

Am I right in figuring that if the Vacum is 6 amps, then 6x120v equals 720W. To buy a transformer that can handle 720 W costs more that the vacum!

Is there any way around this?

Thanks
    720VA
    the trafo on the previous page is prob suitable except for the price
    has a US socket on it

http://www.taunus-transformatoren.de/transformers/techdata.php4?typ=120%20198%20800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

looking at cpc online
    50va is about 30 euro
    300va about 100 euro
    the 800va in the link above about 180 euro

so price is an issue for anything using a bit of power

the yellow site transformer seems to be the cheapest option..cheaper than the auto-transformers above
    you'd pick up an old one cheap now..prob about 50 euro or less

61847_P

Advertisement