Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:43pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody got a spare wireless router, modern enough ideally, that I could use for a day? I just want to run a test in the house and don't want to go out buying one I may not end up using!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You gave me one of those free Tramore calendars last year so I'll post you down one and you can post it back if ya want to PM me your address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

If your on upc and use the modem from someone else you will get the speed they have not the one you pay for unless its the old white one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Big Lar wrote: »
    You gave me one of those free Tramore calendars last year so I'll post you down one and you can post it back if ya want to PM me your address.

Ha thanks very much! Sound. What do you have?
    Faq wrote: »
    If your on upc and use the modem from someone else you will get the speed they have not the one you pay for unless its the old white one.

I'm not on cable where I am testing it, its just DSL!

You can have a choice

Tenda W311R

Trendnet TEW-651BR although I think that i may have custom firmware on it.

Or I have an old Netgear WG602 v3 Wireless access point, that may have custom firmware also. You can keep that one if you like (Best calendar ever :D)

All have Ethernet WAN ports, perhaps your looking for DSL router ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You can have a choice

Tenda W311R

Trendnet TEW-651BR although I think that i may have custom firmware on it.

Nice! I might be in the market for one of these guys, do you think they are good or are you not using them because they aren't the best? Ill use either anyway, they both offer what I need. :) Just a quick test, and ill pop it back.
    Or I have an old Netgear WG602 v3 Wireless access point, that may have custom firmware also. You can keep that one if you like (Best calendar ever :D)

All have Ethernet WAN ports, perhaps your looking for DSL router ?

Have that here but have no idea if it works or not. No antenna or plug! Found it when rooting.

• Advertisement

They are all fairly good routers, I use a 6 year old TL- WR641G here at home - thought twas faulty there a year or ago so i bought the trendnet, then figured out it wasnt the router after all so switched back as the WR641G had slightly better range. I have a few of the tendas about as i am involved in a broadband scheme, for range thou the NetGear is the business.
    I will see if i can poke out a psu and antenna if you like.

Range is something I wish to address with any replacement router. I could have sworn the one I had was better, but lately its gone very poor so I want to see if its just faulty. Hence testing a new one should tell me that!

Sully wrote: »
    Range is something I wish to address with any replacement router. I could have sworn the one I had was better, but lately its gone very poor so I want to see if its just faulty. Hence testing a new one should tell me that!
    Try changing channels, could be interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Try changing channels, could be interference.

90% of the time it not the router thats changed its the environment. Routers have one of the highest return rates of all electronics from people who bring them back and think there faulty.

Read somewhere that Millions of euro worth of routers where returned to netgear because they where faulty when literally only 3 where. Every single return is tested and repackaged and sold again.

That doesnt include physically broken i.e damaged cables or filters etc..

Media999 wrote: »
    90% of the time it not the router thats changed its the environment. Routers have one of the highest return rates of all electronics from people who bring them back and think there faulty.

Read somewhere that Millions of euro worth of routers where returned to netgear because they where faulty when literally only 3 where. Every single return is tested and repackaged and sold again.

That doesnt include physically broken i.e damaged cables or filters etc..

Well I spoke with Cisco and they agreed it seems faulty. A few things;
    1) Often its showing up on the WiFi list but it wont allow a connection (unable to get IP address). Rebooting the router fixes it.

2) The computer connected via ethernet cable often goes wild thinking the cable has been unplugged every second when it hasn't (could be a cable fault, but 1 was a serious enough pain to consider changing).

3) Now the WiFi signal is very poor only a short distance from where its located. Its a two story house, but the coverage is poor enough in places. It was usually a lot better. There has been no notable changes around the house, bar the addition of a WiFi expander which I have turned off during testing today. It probably needs an expander anyway tho, but it shouldn't be this bad.

I spoke with Cisco re 1 and they agreed it seems a weird fault. It was happening on multiple devises - phones, laptops, tablets etc. But there are newer models out and this one is outside warranty. The firmware is fully up-to-date also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A decent range is a problem with us too - the only solid connection appears to be land-line BB .

Even the chimney blocks signal.

We have a few spare routers if you run into problems re above posters

Advertisement