Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24mb NGB but only getting 14 - 15MB

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi,

My broadband package was recently upgraded by eircom to 24mb ngb ( I only noticed this on my bill, had no corespondanc from eircom about it )

I then happened to do a speed test and was only getting 1.5mb download! Rang tech support and was told to reset router. This gave me 17mb speed. Two or three days later speed had dropped again to 2mb, rang again and this time was told to just turn router on and off again. This got me back uo to 17mb again.

Then third time speed dropped again to 2mb and rand tech support once again, this time I was asked had my firmware been upgraded to which I answered no and why wasnt this asked during the two previous calls?

So then the speed jumped to 20mb but now runs at an average of 14 - 15mb. So my question is basically is this fair that I am being charged for upto 24 mb and am in reality getting 10mb less than this?

Also seems crazy to have had to call three times to get this solved (well fingers crossed its fixed now) with no mention of any discount from my bill while I was paying for a service that I was not actually getting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

foghlu wrote: »
    Hi,

My broadband package was recently upgraded by eircom to 24mb ngb ( I only noticed this on my bill, had no corespondanc from eircom about it )

I then happened to do a speed test and was only getting 1.5mb download! Rang tech support and was told to reset router. This gave me 17mb speed. Two or three days later speed had dropped again to 2mb, rang again and this time was told to just turn router on and off again. This got me back uo to 17mb again.

Then third time speed dropped again to 2mb and rand tech support once again, this time I was asked had my firmware been upgraded to which I answered no and why wasnt this asked during the two previous calls?

So then the speed jumped to 20mb but now runs at an average of 14 - 15mb. So my question is basically is this fair that I am being charged for upto 24 mb and am in reality getting 10mb less than this?

Also seems crazy to have had to call three times to get this solved (well fingers crossed its fixed now) with no mention of any discount from my bill while I was paying for a service that I was not actually getting?

Hi foghlu,

I'm not sure of the exact circumstances around the switch to 24mb without checking your account directly so if you like you can PM the account number and I'll check that side of things for you. With regards the speed you are receiving, the packages are all sold as 'up to' the listed speed as you said. Unfortunately due to the nature of DSL it's very hard to promise a certain speed to someone until it is fully connected at the premises. ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange along with line quality, how many devices are connected (and whether they are downloading/updating) and many other different reasons.

Apologies that you feel it took some time to upgrade the modem but usually basic troubleshooting fixes the connection and that would be the first thing support do. I'm glad you're back to acceptable speeds. I can't tell from your post whether you're on an NGB exchange, but with our NGB product we supply the max speed that the line can take up to the limit of the package you signed up for. If you'd like us to have a look at the connection, send on the details and I'll happily run some tests for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

pm sent waiting response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

pm sent waiting response

Hi foghlu,

Have checked the details of your package and connection for you. The reason you got the free upgrade from the package you originally had (from 7mb to 24mb) is that your exchange was recently upgraded to NGB. The previous package was 'up to 7mb' Home Advanced, the equivalent package on NGB is 'up to 24mb' Ultimate broadband. When on an NGB package, eircom will supply the max speed your line can take 'up to' the speed listed on the package. Since this was a free upgrade costing the same as the lower speed package you were on before, unfortunately there would be no room for us to apply any "compensation" for this.

I understand that you may not be getting the full 24mb but this is due to the distance from your premises to the exchange. The lower packages we offer are 'up to 8mb' and you can get either a 10gb allowance or an unlimited allowance for a slightly cheaper price than the one you have at the moment. This would be the only option for a cheaper deal but would also reduce the speed. Again, apologies the initial calls did not solve the issue in full but hopefully the new firmware has stabilised the connection for you. The minimum speed your line must be able to take to avail of the 'up to 24mb' package is 10mb. If it was under this you may be able to downgrade for free. One thing worth looking at is this checklist which gives some tips to help improve slow speeds. Hope this helps.

Regards

James

Cheers James,

Im happy enough now that the speed is at least consistent at about 14 - 15 mb so I assume thats the best my line can handle. I was just annoyed at having the serious drop in speed after my free upgrade and having to call to get the problem sorted three times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Cheers James,

Im happy enough now that the speed is at least consistent at about 14 - 15 mb so I assume thats the best my line can handle. I was just annoyed at having the serious drop in speed after my free upgrade and having to call to get the problem sorted three times.

Appreciate your comments foghlu and apologies for all the inconvenience. Glad to hear the broadband is stable.

I've looked at your broadband and both sync and the attainable rates look good. It is currently synced at 17Mb. There's a possibility this could be increased to 20Mb. PM me if you want to try this.

All the best,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Cheers Ant, pm sent.

Advertisement