Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Aquarium - advise please

• 27-07-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I am buying a small wall mounted aquarium for my som.
    I have kept goldfish before but never had one with all the bells and whistles (filter, heater etc.)
    Could anyone recommend a book /website where I could read up on it.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There are a couple of Irish forums that are based on fish husbandry and there is a thread here on boards dedicated. I also used a few American sites, these forums are invaluable when it comes to keeping anything other than goldfish because you can ask questions as they come up, sometimes things that you would find in no book, and get answers from others. Such as how many fish you can keep in as tank your size, what kind of fish to get etc.

Find out the closest independent fish store near you, I say independent as I found the chain pet stores not very knowledgeable when it came to keeping fish and all that it entailed. Now that's not to say that every independent stores are, just that there is a better chance in my opinion that they will. Go in ask a few questions and see how you fare, I think that how much time they are willing to spend with you gives a good indication, I often spent hours in my local fish store chatting to the guys that worked there and other peeps involved in the hobby,

As for books\websites there are loads, this was my favourite book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Fish-Handbooks-Dick-Mills/dp/0751327263/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1343406539&sr=8-12, it gave a really good overview of everything plus there are loads of great pics in there.

One thing I will says research your tank before you get it if you can, often times people buy tanks and then do the research, only to find that due to the small size of the tank hey can't keep more than a couple of fish in it. Wall mounted tanks would be a big culprit for this.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Do you have any idea what size your tank is? Goldfish are actually very difficult to keep, they grow to about a foot long and produce massive amounts of waste so I wouldn't recommend one of those. Depending on size there are a variety of fish and shrimp that would be suitable.

One thing that you can do while you're researching your fish is to cycle your tank to make sure the filter in your tank is full of beneficial bacteria. You can read up on it here. I find aqadvisor.com to be quite good for helping to work out a stocking list.

Advertisement