Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like potatoes?

• 27-07-2012 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Living in Ireland, potatoes are one of the most popular foods that people eat for dinner alongside that plain bit of dry meat. We're globally known for potatoes!

I have to say that I absolutely hate them, and the typical Irish dinner. I find them to be boring, taste like nothingness, smell dull, and are hard to swallow. Coming home to a typical Irish dinner only disappoints me to walk in the front door and get that damp dull smell of wet starch.
    The only way I can somewhat enjoy them is if they're mashed, and even then I have to eat them with ketchup to give them some sort of nice flavour.

Its not just the potatoes I dislike, its the whole plain dinner. Roast Chicken, Bacon, Beef etc. Yuck!
    Give me pasta & spaghetti based dishes, rice dishes like curries, fajita's, lasagne both meat and vegetable!, stir fries and so much more. Something with a bit of flavour and lovely smell that you can actually enjoy.

So AH, do you actually like potatoes? Can you stomach them more than once a week? Are you one of those sick freaks who has them every day of the week!? :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Jaysus I love me spud dinner. I'm oirish to the bone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Roast Chicken, Bacon, Beef are NOT boring/plain. You should be ahsamed of yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Go on the spuds, can't bate them boy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 zetecs

roast potatoes are the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i love a bit of potato gratin myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Living in Ireland, potatoes are one of the most popular foods that people eat for dinner alongside that plain bit of dry meat. We're globally known for potatoes!

I have to say that I absolutely hate them, and the typical Irish dinner. I find them to be boring, taste like nothingness, smell dull, and are hard to swallow. Coming home to a typical Irish dinner only disappoints me to walk in the front door and get that damp dull smell of wet starch.
    The only way I can somewhat enjoy them is if they're mashed, and even then I have to eat them with ketchup to give them some sort of nice flavour.

Its not just the potatoes I dislike, its the whole plain dinner. Roast Chicken, Bacon, Beef etc. Yuck!
    Give me pasta & spaghetti based dishes, rice dishes like curries, fajita's, lasagne both meat and vegetable!, stir fries and so much more. Something with a bit of flavour and lovely smell that you can actually enjoy.

So AH, do you actually like potatoes? Can you stomach them more than once a week? Are you one of those sick freaks who has them every day of the week!? :eek:

You're cooking them wrong. There's so many possibilities for cooking them and you don't have to go all fancy. I love some fried potatoes with bits of bacon and onion mixed in, or some nice mash with milk and spring onions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Plain dinners :eek: seasoning is key!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Without potatoes we wouldn't have King Tayto (which are the nicest kind of Tayto!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I count to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Coincidentally, I just heard this joke today although it's probably an ancient one.

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irish man?

None.

• Advertisement

Boil 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a stew...

PO-TAT-OES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I like potatoes.
    I have to eat them with ketchup to give them some sort of nice flavour.

Iconoclast. Burn the unbeliever!

Dónal wrote: »
    Boil 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a stew...

PO-TAT-OES

stupid hobbit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I like them, but I don't cook them.

I'll be damned if I have to waste a half hour skinning spuds when I can stick some pasta/rice on and do bad things to myself in the meantime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

What are these potatoes you speak of.

We have spuds, purdies, poundies, tatties but I've never eaten potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Potatoes rule, even in humble boiled form. Birra salt. Birra butter. Gold.
    Confab wrote: »
    Iconoclast.

Eh?

Where To wrote: »
    purdies, poundies, tatties

wut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I abso-fúcking-definitely love every kind of potatoes! They make me emotional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I get the boring bit, that's why you don't have them everyday. But jebus there has to be something wrong with you to not crave pandy and gravy, or roasted baby spuds and gravy. Actually anything and gravy really :)

Diapason wrote: »
    Eh?

Iconoclast
    Actually anything and gravy really

Not a big fan of gravy. Good if food is very dry, otherwise a bit shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

They have to be fried to the bejasus for me to like them, or roasted to fúck. Treated with vulgarity in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Floury new potatoes with a big knob of real butter and a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).

If Jesus had grown up an Irishman that would have been his manna right there.

Egg on my face.

Nahin like some potatoes.
    Love em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Roast/fried yes. A childhood of flavourless boiled lumps or mashed with lumps in them has not endeared me to the humble spud. I still eat them so they can't be bad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

g'em wrote: »
    Floury new potatoes with a big knob of real butter and a sprinkle of sea salt (optional).

If Jesus had grown up an Irishman that would have been his manna right there.

The worst type of potato. Butter doesnt make them any nicer. You're all sick in the head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

FINALLY !! Someone else who eats ketchup with potatoes . For years I've been told I'm a freak and getting the oddest of looks for my potato eating habits. =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

How very dare you. :mad:

The potato is the greatest, most versatile* vegetable on the planet. If we were ever to colonise other planets potatoes would be the first vegetable planted in alien soil.

*Chips
    Mash
    Boiled potatoes
    Croquettes
    Potato waffles
    Crisps
    Roast spuds
    wedges
    Potato gratin
    Potato salad
    Baked potato
    Gnocchi
    Potato flour (dumpling, potato breads etc)
    Potato rosti
    Hash browns
    Instant potato
    Fried potato (from boiled leftovers)
    Vodka
    Poitin

The Potato is the greatest vegetable in the known universe. No doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

The worst type of potato. Butter doesnt make them any nicer. You're all sick in the head!

Butter makes everything better, everyone knows that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Have them everyday without exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Butter makes everything better, everyone knows that!

That reminds me. Friday night = alternative sex night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

How very dare you. :mad:

The potato is the greatest, most versatile* vegetable on the planet. If we were ever to colonise other planets potatoes would be the first vegetable planted in alien soil.

*Chips
    Mash
    Boiled potatoes
    Croquettes
    Potato waffles
    Crisps
    Roast spuds
    wedges
    Potato gratin
    Potato salad
    Baked potato
    Gnocchi
    Potato flour (dumpling, potato breads etc)
    Potato rosti
    Hash browns
    Instant potato
    Fried potato (from boiled leftovers)
    Vodka
    Poitin

The Potato is the greatest vegetable in the known universe. No doubt.

Dont get me wrong, chips, wedges, has browns etc are lovely! But plain potatoes, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, and dare I even say Taytos! Are mank. Pure slurry shíte blasted onto your dinner plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Without potatoes we wouldn't have King Tayto (which are the nicest kind of Tayto!)

King tayto? WTF is that? Do you mean King crisps? Or Mr Tayto? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dont get me wrong, chips, wedges, has browns etc are lovely! But plain potatoes, mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, and dare I even say Taytos! Are mank. Pure slurry shíte blasted onto your dinner plate.

Pffff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nothing like the smell of burnt potatoes. :pac:

• Advertisement

aaabbbb wrote: »
    FINALLY !! Someone else who eats ketchup with potatoes . For years I've been told I'm a freak and getting the oddest of looks for my potato eating habits. =D

Make no mistake, you ARE a freak for eating potatoes with ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Make no mistake, you ARE a freak for eating potatoes with ketchup.

Ah here it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I can't eat them, they play havoc with my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Mouthfull of tasteless powdery starch. Hideous.

Mind you, they're ok if server with some cheese/sauce/etc. Anything that lends them flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Can't stand them,have brown rice or pasta with my meals instead.Hate having dinner in relatives homes down the country because at every dinner,without fail,they produce what can only be described as a giant vase of unpeeled boiled spuds,and they give you an odd look if you don't eat at least 3 massive ones with your burnt chops,over boiled veg and lumpy bisto gravy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Don't think I could go 2 days without some form of spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Potatoes are for poor people who cannot afford to eat proper food.

King tayto? WTF is that? Do you mean King crisps? Or Mr Tayto? :confused::confused:

I think he's using 'tayto' in the generic form to mean crisps.

Ironically King was owned by Tayto back even when they were the only crisps in Ireland. Both are now part of the Largo Foods family along with Hunky Dory.

Potatoes are for poor people who cannot afford to eat proper food.

Muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Don't really enjoy mashed potatoes, but roasted, sautéed, rosti'd, chips... All good!

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Ironically King was owned by Tayto back even when they were the only crisps in Ireland.

A part of me died the day I learned that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I have to say that I absolutely hate them, and the typical Irish dinner. I find them to be boring, taste like nothingness, smell dull, and are hard to swallow.
    Haters gonna hate but potatoes gonna potate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

LOVE potatoes.

Hate pasta though, and TBH, this draws as many shocked reactions as saying you hate spuds!

All carbs are bland though. Apart from bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I pretty much only eat sweet potato's. Healthy, just as versatile as regular ones (well they're still spuds!) and they taste much better imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

For this, waxy all the way for me.

Floury are great for mash, roasters and chips though.

Waxy for baked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement