Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like potatoes?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

mitosis wrote: »
    That reminds me. Friday night = alternative sex night ;)

Someone's been delving into Marlon Brando's back catalogue. ;)

That sounds suspect. :(

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Mind you, they're ok if server with some cheese/sauce/etc. Anything that lends them flavour.

That's generally how complex carbs work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I think he's using 'tayto' in the generic form to mean crisps.

Ironically King was owned by Tayto back even when they were the only crisps in Ireland. Both are now part of the Largo Foods family along with Hunky Dory.

OMG! :eek:

Can't stand them,have brown rice or pasta with my meals instead.Hate having dinner in relatives homes down the country because at every dinner,without fail,they produce what can only be described as a giant vase of unpeeled boiled spuds,and they give you an odd look if you don't eat at least 3 massive ones with your burnt chops,over boiled veg and lumpy bisto gravy.

You must be a delightful guest. ;)

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I pretty much only eat sweet potato's. Healthy, just as versatile as regular ones (well they're still spuds!) and they taste much better imo!

I disagree about the taste. Sweet potatoes are too, well, sweet. Not keen on their texture either. More carrotty than potatoey. Overall, an overrated veg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I disagree about the taste. Sweet potatoes are too, well, sweet. Not keen on their texture either. More carrotty than potatoey. Overall, an overrated veg.

And they aren't even a potatoe!

Love the spuds....nice boiled spud with still a bit of bite in it, some butter and salt...heaven.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I’m not too keen on potatoes. When I was around seven, I was at a friend’s house for dinner and her mother made me finish my plate of shepherd’s pie even though I said I was full. I got sick and never felt the same about potato after that. I don’t know how people can eat a big plate of mashed potato or a baked potato, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Love potatoes.:)
    Hate turmits.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I hate to say it OP but you are obviously filled with self-hatred and need to see a psychiatrist to try and work through your issues. Potato hatred is just the outward manifestation of your internal turmoil at the fact that you were born (in your mind) a low-bred Irish dog and you desperately yearn to be a sophisticated, sunglasses-wearing Eyetalian who eats spaghetti and crosses their legs when they sit. I'm guessing you are also an F1 rather than GAA person.
    Believe it or not, there are people in Milan at this very moment saying how sick they are of the tasteless muck (penne, fusili etc) Mamma slops up on their plate every night. How they would love a delicious Kerr's Pink with a knob of Kerrygold gently oozing down the sides etc.
    You think your OP is showing boardsies how cosmopolitan you are but is, in reality, a cry for help. Take the first step now OP, we're all right behind you ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

byronbay2 wrote: »
    I hate to say it OP but you are obviously filled with self-hatred and need to see a psychiatrist to try and work through your issues. Potato hatred is just the outward manifestation of your internal turmoil at the fact that you were born (in your mind) a low-bred Irish dog and you desperately yearn to be a sophisticated, sunglasses-wearing Eyetalian who eats spaghetti and crosses their legs when they sit. I'm guessing you are also an F1 rather than GAA person.
    Believe it or not, there are people in Milan at this very moment saying how sick they are of the tasteless muck (penne, fusili etc) Mamma slops up on their plate every night. How they would love a delicious Kerr's Pink with a knob of Kerrygold gently oozing down the sides etc.
    You think your OP is showing boardsies how cosmopolitan you are but is, in reality, a cry for help. Take the first step now OP, we're all right behind you ....

Oh ok. Good thing I like being filled with self hatred and internal turmoil then!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I love them!

There are plenty of fields around my way that have potatoes growing in them,wild ones.

A once weekly trip with a bag really helps keeps the costs of the weekly shop down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Mashed spuds are class

However 99% of people dont do them right. You have to have the perfect amound of milk, butter, salt and pepper in them (for plain spuds) otherwise they will not be nice.

My advice op is put more milk in. dont go eating all that foreign stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Yeah, but not all the time. Its good to vary them with pasta or rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,451 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

byronbay2 wrote: »

We all have our own starches and to prove a point, traditionally the Milanese would have rice rather than pasta!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Anyone who doesn't like potatoes needs to hand in their Irish passport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

There are plenty of fields around my way that have potatoes growing in them,wild ones..

I love those wild potatoes. Hard to catch though the wily buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Boiled spuds are fairly ****e unless they're covered in something like Boeuf Bourguignon.

Roasters - Par boiled spuds
    Put a roasting dish in the oven with the bottom covered in olive oil
    When the spuds are par boiled, strain out water, put the lid on and shake the pot like a mad man to fluff up the skin.
    Add a couple of cloves of garlic and some rosemary to the hot oil in the dish.
    Add spuds. Shake around every once in a while.
    ****ing heaven.

Mash is kinda boring but fry a leek and some chopped up rashers and mix in - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Living in Ireland, potatoes are one of the most popular foods that people eat for dinner alongside that plain bit of dry meat. We're globally known for potatoes!

I have to say that I absolutely hate them, and the typical Irish dinner. I find them to be boring, taste like nothingness, smell dull, and are hard to swallow. Coming home to a typical Irish dinner only disappoints me to walk in the front door and get that damp dull smell of wet starch.
    The only way I can somewhat enjoy them is if they're mashed, and even then I have to eat them with ketchup to give them some sort of nice flavour.

Its not just the potatoes I dislike, its the whole plain dinner. Roast Chicken, Bacon, Beef etc. Yuck!
    Give me pasta & spaghetti based dishes, rice dishes like curries, fajita's, lasagne both meat and vegetable!, stir fries and so much more. Something with a bit of flavour and lovely smell that you can actually enjoy.

So AH, do you actually like potatoes? Can you stomach them more than once a week? Are you one of those sick freaks who has them every day of the week!? :eek:

So what your saying is you've watched a couple of episodes of sex in the city and now you're a world traveler so none of those tatie thingys for you.
    Fair Play To You. Ever try tater tots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Potatoes are for poor people who cannot afford to eat proper food.
    I love them!

There are plenty of fields around my way that have potatoes growing in them,wild ones.

A once weekly trip with a bag really helps keeps the costs of the weekly shop down.

Are you saying you're too poor to even buy potatoes? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Living in Ireland, potatoes are one of the most popular foods that people eat for dinner alongside that plain bit of dry meat. We're globally known for potatoes!

I have to say that I absolutely hate them, and the typical Irish dinner. I find them to be boring, taste like nothingness, smell dull, and are hard to swallow. Coming home to a typical Irish dinner only disappoints me to walk in the front door and get that damp dull smell of wet starch.
    The only way I can somewhat enjoy them is if they're mashed, and even then I have to eat them with ketchup to give them some sort of nice flavour.

Its not just the potatoes I dislike, its the whole plain dinner. Roast Chicken, Bacon, Beef etc. Yuck!
    Give me pasta & spaghetti based dishes, rice dishes like curries, fajita's, lasagne both meat and vegetable!, stir fries and so much more. Something with a bit of flavour and lovely smell that you can actually enjoy.

So AH, do you actually like potatoes? Can you stomach them more than once a week? Are you one of those sick freaks who has them every day of the week!? :eek:

Your not doing it right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

How very dare you. :mad:

The potato is the greatest, most versatile* vegetable on the planet. If we were ever to colonise other planets potatoes would be the first vegetable planted in alien soil.

*Chips
    Mash
    Boiled potatoes
    Croquettes
    Potato waffles
    Crisps
    Roast spuds
    wedges
    Potato gratin
    Potato salad
    Baked potato
    Gnocchi
    Potato flour (dumpling, potato breads etc)
    Potato rosti
    Hash browns
    Instant potato
    Fried potato (from boiled leftovers)
    Vodka
    Poitin

The Potato is the greatest vegetable in the known universe. No doubt.

Yes! and saute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

kupus wrote: »
    So what your saying is you've watched a couple of episodes of sex in the city and now you're a world traveler so none of those tatie thingys for you.
    Fair Play To You. Ever try tater tots?

Nice assumption you've pulled out of your ass. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Burn the Imperial Conqueror :mad: !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Mashed potatoes with a bit of chopped scallions and a good lump of proper butter (no cream or milk). Food of the Gods man. *DROOL*

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

ya can't bate a good spud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Nice assumption you've pulled out of your ass. :rolleyes:

That's such a Samantha thing to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Potatoes are lovely but tbh I never really got the thing with getting a single roast potato with mash at carveries.
    Hash brows and something I've found call "rösti" are the favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I love potatoes , mash , roast , baked not too fond of boiled though. I have potatoes most days. I prefer it to rice or pasta. Pasta would be my next favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

oh yes, creamed, mashed, waffled, chipped, baked or roasted, spudsies rawk! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maris Piper mash is lovely

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You are no Irishman OP. You have to love the aul spud with all your heart to be a true Irishman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Love mash, love roast, love sauteed! Mmmmmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Potato scallops mmmmmmm *salivates*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I fecking love spuds! Boiled, baked, fried... yummy.
    Granted, not overly fond of mashed potato as my mam used to hid beans, peas and carrots in them when I was a toddler. Feckin' disgusting. I do like Colcannon, tho. Bacon and cabbage mashed into the potato with a big auld dollop of butter. Dinner of champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I hate potatoes!!! All I can taste is soil, its pure rotten to me. The only potatoes I eat are the real skinny american chips. I can't even eat "chunky chips" or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Chauncey

I hate potatoes!!! All I can taste is soil, its pure rotten to me.

You're supposed to take them out of the ground before you start eating them.

Chauncey wrote: »
    You're supposed to take them out of the ground before you start eating them.

Right, that must be it!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

How many potatoes does it take to kill an Irish man?

None.

Haha...

Luuuurve them...but rarely cook them...have to get into the spuds again. Fave combos would be: baked potato with all kinds of toppings, roast, mashed with milk and spring onion and floury spuds boiled with the skins on and butter.

Slomp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I hate potatoes!!! All I can taste is soil, its pure rotten to me. The only potatoes I eat are the real skinny american chips. I can't even eat "chunky chips" or anything like that.

You're a noody naudy eater, as my gram-gram would say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Love them.

Any way, mashed, boiled, chips, hash browns...

Yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Mash with a little bit of spring onion is damn tasty.

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    You're a noody naudy eater, as my gram-gram would say.

a noody naudy? lol! what does that mean?

Scarinae wrote: »
    I’m not too keen on potatoes. When I was around seven, I was at a friend’s house for dinner and her mother made me finish my plate of shepherd’s pie even though I said I was full. I got sick and never felt the same about potato after that. I don’t know how people can eat a big plate of mashed potato or a baked potato, ugh.

Don't blame the potatoe.
    Blame yer pals ma, she probably was just getting rid of the pie that was already leftover.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Can't beat a bit of mash with butter

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I hate potatoes, but worse is that onion mix **** some people have and mashed potatoes with a pound of butter put in it, I'm gagging at the thought of it:eek:

But I like chips :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

*Chips
    Mash
    Boiled potatoes
    Croquettes
    Potato waffles
    Crisps
    Roast spuds
    wedges
    Potato gratin
    Potato salad
    Baked potato
    Gnocchi
    Potato flour (dumpling, potato breads etc)
    Potato rosti
    Hash browns
    Instant potato
    Fried potato (from boiled leftovers)
    Vodka
    Poitin

Boxty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...at people saying potatoes are tasteless? Just stop buying the poor quality stuff lads. Going down to Centra to get your potatoes, the shame of it...

Advertisement