Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to raise variable mortgage rate by 0.5%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Thats disappointing for me as I am a new AIB mortgage customer, although they are still the cheapest on the market at the moment and I have no interest in a fixed rate so I am moderately happy

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

minor inconvenience given todays thriving economy........ Oh wait..... people are struggling to pay there bills already at the moment and these assholes raise rates by .5%. ECB recently brought down rates by .25%, they didnt pass that on - fair enough.. but to raise them is a real kick in the teeth!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Essentially it's a increase of 0.75% as AIB didnt pass on the last rate change by the ECB. It's making things harder for people. fair enough they are not making money buy why punish people who are already struggling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Essentially it's a increase of 0.75% as AIB didnt pass on the last rate change by the ECB. It's making things harder for people. fair enough they are not making money buy why punish people who are already struggling

its not essentially a 0.75% increase. Not all banks should be expected to drop SVR when ECB rate drops. its a 0.5% increase, simple as.

I dont agree with it myself, I think a 0.25% could have been attempted first but obviously they have the numbers they need to get profitable. I want them to be profitable but its a harsh call also. Given they have the lowest rate in the market it is understandable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Why punish everyone ? They should have maybe introduced it for new business only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    Why punish everyone ? They should have maybe introduced it for new business only

Very few mortgages are being approved these days, they will lump it on existing customers to make as much back as they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

don't think it's just coincidence that they did this while the Dail was on holidays, we all know how vocal Gilmore has been against banks not passing on rate cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We own them, so technically have the Gov not got the power to veto this?

Having said that, its a fine line, as I heard their CEO say that they have to do their best to get a return and profit for the tax payer. Thats fair enough, but if they force people who were just about able to pay their mortgages to default, then they will get nothing from people who were paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

NIMAN wrote: »
    We own them, so technically have the Gov not got the power to veto this?

Having said that, its a fine line, as I heard their CEO say that they have to do their best to get a return and profit for the tax payer. Thats fair enough, but if they force people who were just about able to pay their mortgages to default, then they will get nothing from people who were paying.

Its a fine line indeed. They will have looked at the increased revenue it will bring in versus the social impact it has, no choice but to consider this considering the stake the government has there, but they most likely have weighed up the further defaults they may get and consider themselves ok with the extra revenue gained from paying customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Here we go again-

AIB is hiking its mortgage interest rates, and those of its subsidiaries.

Variable rate customers at AIB will see their rate increase by 0.4% from June.

Those with variable rate homeloans from EBS and Haven will have to pay an extra 0.25%.

In a statement AIB said that it does not anticipate any further rate hikes this year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/aib-to-hike-mortgage-interest-rates-592365.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Taking out a tracker mortgage was one of best decisions i've ever made. Paying just 1.90%. Hopefully that will drop to 1.65% if ECB reduces rates again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

phoenix999 wrote: »
    Taking out a tracker mortgage was one of best decisions i've ever made. Paying just 1.90%. Hopefully that will drop to 1.65% if ECB reduces rates again.:)

Hooray for you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hooray for you
    In fairness trackers were widely available and anyone on a variable rate from before the dawn of trackers could have changed (I did).

Anyone who took out a standard variable rate mortgage since the demise of trackers knows what they were getting in to.

What is annoying is that trackers don't exist at all any more in Ireland. They could have kept them but increased the margin to sensible levels so folks would know they'd always get the benefit of an ECB rate reduction (and take the hit when ECB rates go up). In Germany trackers were always available and remain so, but with sensible margins that mean the banks never lost money on them!

Advertisement