Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDS Hammer drill

Options
  • 27-07-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking about buying an SDS Hammer Drill as I've a lot of holes to driill into concrete. Would anyone have suggestions about what might be good in terms of price? It would be for general DIY use in the home - not digging up concrete, just holes for brackets and trellis etc.
    I saw this one
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-pbh-2000-re-550w-diy-rotary-hammer-drill-p6915
    (I think it's the same model) in my local Homebase for €116. Is that a reasonable price?

Aldi and Lidl say they will not be stocking SDS hammer drills for a while.

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Monsclara wrote: »
    Hi

I'm thinking about buying an SDS Hammer Drill as I've a lot of holes to driill into concrete. Would anyone have suggestions about what might be good in terms of price? It would be for general DIY use in the home - not digging up concrete, just holes for brackets and trellis etc.
    I saw this one
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bosch-pbh-2000-re-550w-diy-rotary-hammer-drill-p6915
    (I think it's the same model) in my local Homebase for €116. Is that a reasonable price?

Aldi and Lidl say they will not be stocking SDS hammer drills for a while.

Thanks in advance.

You will pick up a good used SDS hammer drill on Donedeal or adverts.ie for not alot.

I got this in Lidl for 50 euro.

Great SDS Hammer drill indeed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

paddy147 wrote: »
    You will pick up a good used SDS hammer drill on Donedeal or adverts.ie for not alot.

I got this in Lidl for 50 euro.

Great SDS Hammer drill indeed.:)

Paddy I saw your drill in an earlier post which is why I checked Lidl & Aldi, but they will not be stocking new ones for a while. I've never used donedeal before. Is there anything I should look out for in terms of quality etc. in a second hand one?
    Thanks
    Monica

Paddy I saw your drill in an earlier post which is why I checked Lidl & Aldi, but they will not be stocking new ones for a while. I've never used donedeal before. Is there anything I should look out for in terms of quality etc. in a second hand one?
    Thanks
    Monica

Ask to see it working.

Check the SDS chuck works and the SDS drill bit slots in and locks in place.

Check that the drill works in both gears/speeds.

Check it drill forwards and backwards too.

Dewalt,Bosch and Hitachi is a good is a good make and is a regular over on Donedeal and adverts..:)

B&Q also have weekend deals with the likes of 20% off various items most weekends.

Oh and have a look in Argos.
    Big sale on at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14418780/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7C14418702%7CPower+tools%7C14418763/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418763%7CPower+drills%7C14418780.htm

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Oh and with regards trellis frame onto concrete wall......

A 7mm masonary drill bit and a hammer drill.

Few lengths of PT (pressure treated) 2 x 1 battons screwed onto the wall with 7mm brown rawl plugs and 65-70mm stainless steel screws or decking screws.

Then screw the trellis frames onto the battons with 35mm stainless steel screws or decking screws.

Simples.:)

• Advertisement

B&Q also have weekend deals with the likes of 20% off various items most weekends.

Oh and have a look in Argos.
    Big sale on at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/ID72/14418780/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7C14418702%7CPower+tools%7C14418763/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418763%7CPower+drills%7C14418780.htm
    Have had a look around and the Bosch at 116 seems about the best price for spec, so will probably go for that

Oh and with regards trellis frame onto concrete wall......

A 7mm masonary drill bit and a hammer drill.

Few lengths of PT (pressure treated) 2 x 1 battons screwed onto the wall with 7mm brown rawl plugs and 65-70mm stainless steel screws or decking screws.

Then screw the trellis frames onto the battons with 35mm stainless steel screws or decking screws.

Simples.:)

Decided to go down the gauge wire route hence the need for SDS hammer drill:rolleyes: Woodies have a good (promo) how to vid on putting up a trellis

http://www.woodiesdiy.tv/How-to-Fix-a-Trellis-to-a-Masonry-Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

hire shops have some good deals too, I left my one in work before and was badly stuck, got one (spit, I think) for about 20 euro with bits for a weekend

Decided to go down the gauge wire route hence the need for SDS hammer drill:rolleyes: Woodies have a good (promo) how to vid on putting up a trellis

http://www.woodiesdiy.tv/How-to-Fix-a-Trellis-to-a-Masonry-Wall

Wood screws me hole.

They will rust away in no time at all.

Stainless steel screws or decking screws that wont rust and snap.

The Mulk wrote: »
    hire shops have some good deals too, I left my one in work before and was badly stuck, got one (spit, I think) for about 20 euro with bits for a weekend

Sure another tenner and you will actually buy one for keeps.

• Advertisement

Wood screws me hole.

They will rust away in no time at all.

Stainless steel screws or decking screws that wont rust and snap.

Ah but sure they are trying to sell as many as they can, so wood screws might be a "good idea". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Somewhat off-topic, but what are the differences / advantages of an SDS drill as opposed to an ordinary drill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

More energy transferred directly to the bit, by hitting the end of it directly.

A chuck has a lot of weight/mass, so you loose a lot of energy moving it back and forth. Its mass has a damping effect on the hammer action and less energy gets to the bit.

Advertisement