Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian racism?

• 27-07-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Is the commonly used australian term 'Abbo' racist?

I'm going there next week and don't want to be chased down the street by, eh, the native aboriginies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Don't call them abbos. Its not a term of endearment.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

You could just call them Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

Great film that Romper Stomper

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kellyjohnp

daveyeh wrote: »

I'm going there next week and don't want to be chased down the street by, eh, the native aboriginies.
    Abbo is derogatory. Aborigine or native Australian are better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The racism in Australia towards aboriginals is something I found pretty shocking. It's casual, it's not taboo, it's considered a 'normal' attitude to hold and express in regular conversation with people you don't know that well (i.e. you haven't established their viewpoint).

So although Aussies tend to shorten almost every word to a cute diminutive like that, I'd hazard a guess that it's racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 xL

Your attitude suggests that you will be chased down the street regardless.

Have a good time all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Are there white aussies that consider it offensive? All the ones i've met use the word without any kind of embarrassment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's a bootable offence.

And disparaging the boot is a bootable offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's would be like calling a traveller a knacker.

Are there white aussies that consider it offensive? All the ones i've met use the word without any kind of embarrassment.

That's exactly what I'm saying was so shocking about my trip there! The racism is just...out there. So there is no taboo, no embarrassment, no questioning of the racist views of being anything other than fact.

So I wouldn't doubt that the white aussies are happy to use it even if others would consider it offensive!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

'Black Fella' is not considered offensive. 'Abbo' is.

'Aboriginal' is getting to sound a bit archaic now, 'Indigenous Australian' is the modern polite term.

Kooli wrote: »
    That's exactly what I'm saying was so shocking about my trip there! The racism is just...out there. So there is no taboo, no embarrassment, no questioning of the racist views of being anything other than fact.

So I wouldn't doubt that the white aussies are happy to use it even if others would consider it offensive!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 drewvegas

I'm an Aussie and no wouldn't use the term if I was you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Aboriginal people were some of the nicest folk I encountered in my life. FACT.

Calling them 'Abbos' certainly wouldnt sit well with them.

But wht I find hardest of all to believe, it was only very, very recently that it was deemed illegal to shoot (and kill) an aboriginal person.

Cant find a link, but I believe it to be sometime around 1965 or so?

Which, is quite shocking tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just make sure you're referring to the band

Ghandee wrote: »

But wht I find hardest of all to believe, it was only very, very recently that it was deemed illegal to shoot (and kill) an aboriginal person.

What....the...f**k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sure they're like the Irish

Everyone assumes they are drunks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have also heard them use the term halfie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Isn't australian's being racist a bit stupid?

I mean if you were to go down the racist route you could say they're just a bunch of interbred convicts.

Say what you like about the aborigines, they've never been mass deported for criminality, and so like the rest of the world, are less likely not to have an unnaturally higher precentage of sex offender DNA.

I mean if you were to go down the racist route that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

drewvegas wrote: »
    I'm an Aussie and no wouldn't use the term if I was you...

Nice first post after 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

boo3000 wrote: »
    Isn't australian's being racist a bit stupid?

I mean if you were to go down the racist route you could say they're just a bunch of interbred convicts.

Say what you like about the aborigines, they've never been mass deported for criminality, and so like the rest of the world, are less likely not to have an unnaturally higher precentage of sex offender DNA.

I mean if you were to go down the racist route that is.

you are confusing genes with DNA - and even if genes DID map your life , you have to take into consideration nature and nurture ,
    so to make the assumption just because the fore fathers of Australians were convicts ( and i would imagine sex criminals were far and few between - as rape was not a crime as such in the 1700's) their great great grand children will be also, is frankly a really absurd and ill conceived " point "

to make the connection that Australians might be " bad " under the skin because of generations before is stupid

OP as someone has said - they are Australians of aboriginal decent - nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

the natives own the land not the half breeds , its 220yrs old give or take, i resided there for a few years , good crack and nice weather but nothing much else to offer , lacks real culture and a real sence of indentity!

dj jarvis wrote: »

to make the connection that Australians might be " bad " under the skin because of generations before is stupid

Really, I thought that's why they called everyone mate, it came down through the generations from when their great grandads were trying to befriend (and rape) everything that moved.

But seriously, I get it. Racism is dumb. My point was, and is, you can disparage anyone's race, ethnicity, sexual preference, whatever....

I'd just sooner make that point without your boring, lefty liberal, right on attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yes the racism towards the "Abbo's" in Oz is shocking and I was quite shocked to hear all walks of Australian society speaking so casually racist towards the aboriginal people. Strangly they do not have this view towards other nationals, but to be honest and before Irish people get on there high horse ask yourself this question "what are your true feelings towards travelers".
    I find the Irish attitude to travelers to be practically the same as the Aussies attitude to Aboriginal people

Really, I thought that's why they called everyone mate, it came down through the generations from when their great grandads were trying to befriend (and rape) everything that moved.

But seriously, I get it. Racism is dumb. My point was, and is, you can disparage anyone's race, ethnicity, sexual preference, whatever....

I'd just sooner make that point without your boring, lefty liberal, right on attitude.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAH - really ???? left liberal HHAHAHAHHAHAH

cop on - you mixed up dna with genes - how is that left liberal ?

right on :eek:

dj jarvis wrote: »

you mixed up dna with genes

So this was your point, it wasn't a little lecture about, it's not the colour of your skin man, it's what's on the inside.

If you're not a lefty liberal are you the science police?

So this was your point, it wasn't a little lecture about, it's not the colour of your skin man, it's what's on the inside.

If you're not a lefty liberal are you the science police?

oh go away - if you cant understand what was being said, then just dont make comment

christ on a bike, is it a full moon tonight ?

Sorry to bother you Officer Nerdovski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

What....the...f**k...

Your name is Kooli.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Never mind Abbo dont go to Perth if your Irish. They've had awful trouble with drunkeness from the Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Your more likely to be chased by a drunken Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The racism in Australia towards aboriginals is something I found pretty shocking. It's casual, it's not taboo, it's considered a 'normal' attitude to hold and express in regular conversation with people you don't know that well (i.e. you haven't established their viewpoint).

Kinda analogous to Travellers in Ireland so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Never heard of the term abbo ????, or did you mean abo?

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/abo-is-not-just-an-abbreviation-of-aboriginal/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Plenty of people from outside of ireland find the casual racism towards travellers just as shocking as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

old_aussie wrote: »
    Never heard ........

Speak of the Devil.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What's the deal with the surge in racism threads recently? Is it anti-racism week/month?

Yes the racism towards the "Abbo's" in Oz is shocking and I was quite shocked to hear all walks of Australian society speaking so casually racist towards the aboriginal people. Strangly they do not have this view towards other nationals, but to be honest and before Irish people get on there high horse ask yourself this question "what are your true feelings towards travelers".
    I find the Irish attitude to travelers to be practically the same as the Aussies attitude to Aboriginal people

Really? I've heard some not too complimentary names for people of chinese & vietnamese origin from aussies. Just not as casual as their comments towards aboriginals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Kinda analogous to Travellers in Ireland so.

Not that travellers are a race but I have never heard the term knacker in polite company.

EDIT: nor ever used it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Plenty of people from outside of ireland find the casual racism towards travellers just as shocking as this.

Nonsense. Most people outside Ireland see Irish Travellers as Irish, sometimes they associate us with travellers. The term pikey is used in normal conversation in England. Just look the Gypsy Wedding series, wouldn't be commissioned here.

Private or anonymous conversations are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

From urban dictionary:

1. abbo
    abbo, black aussi fella who wants a dolla m8

So just assume they want some spare change if they approach you for anything and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Afaik they were not thought of as human before that,or perhaps fully human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nonsense. Most people outside Ireland see Irish Travellers as Irish, sometimes they associate us with travellers. The term pikey is used in normal conversation in England. Just look the Gypsy Wedding series, wouldn't be commissioned here.

Being Irish and living in England, I like to distance myself from Pikies at every opportunity.

I joke that we just sent them England to pave driveways and to upset mddle England by squatting on their greenfield sites as punishment.

I am also very quick to emphasis that we (the native Irish) hold them in even lower regard than the English...:D...so cracking jokes about them does no t offend me. In fact I have 10 more jokes to go with it.

Sad to admit but there is an element of "They are not Irish". Strange in that "Gypsy" wedding programme, they were either Irish Travellers or Romany. What about English Travellers!! The vast majority were born in England.

Being Irish and living in England, I like to distance myself from Pikies at every opportunity.

I joke that we just sent them England to pave driveways and to upset mddle England by squatting on their greenfield sites as punishment.

I am also very quick to emphasis that we (the native Irish) hold them in even lower regard than the English...:D...so cracking jokes about them does no t offend me. In fact I have 10 more jokes to go with it.

Sad to admit but there is an element of "They are not Irish". Strange in that "Gypsy" wedding programme, they were either Irish Travellers or Romany. What about English Travellers!! The vast majority were born in England.

Yeah, but the point is that foreigners are hardly shocked by our "casual racism" if they use the term pikey in common conversation more commonly than we use knacker. the rest of the world see Irish travellers as ethnically Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So although Aussies tend to shorten almost every word to a cute diminutive like that, I'd hazard a guess that it's racist.

I too was often left wide mouthed by some converststions I was in. The taxi drivers were the worst for it I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Travelers are native Irish too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah, but the point is that foreigners are hardly shocked by our "casual racism" if they use the term pikey in common conversation more commonly than we use knacker. the rest of the world see Irish travellers as ethnically Irish.

The fact that you can't see the similarities in the attitudes towards aborigines in australia and the attitudes toawards travellers here kind of proves my point.

It's the whole "well knachers are different of course" attitude that's ingrained in a lot of us.

The english are more familiar with it than most, and I wouldn't consider them foreigners anyway. You're right that the rest of the wworld probably don't see them as a minority (though I would say cultural more than ethnic) at all. I tried to explain travellers to a swiss girl once after an american guy asked me if pikies actually exist (after he saw Snatch of course :D). She just couldn't get her head around it but still found the whole attitude pretty derogatory.

And it is casual racism, no two ways about it. I'll willingly admit I'm guilty of it myself on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Not that travellers are a race but I have never heard the term knacker in polite company.

Nor have I. (though in my experience, the term 'knacker' was always reserved for trackie-wearing ne'er do wells, rather than travellers).

I'd imagine many have witnessed conversations in which travellers were casually decried and disparaged and it was viewed as socially acceptable - often among 'polite company', folks who'd otherwise balk at the first hint of a racist or xenophobic utterance.

Mickeroo wrote: »

The fact that you can't see the similarities in the attitudes towards aborigines in australia and the attitudes toawards travellers here kind of proves my point.

It's the whole "well knachers are different of course" attitude that's ingrained in a lot of us.

The english are more familiar with it than most, and I wouldn't consider them foreigners anyway. You're right that the rest of the wworld probably don't see them as a minority (though I would say cultural more than ethnic) at all. I tried to explain travellers to a swiss girl once after an american guy asked me if pikies actually exist (after he saw Snatch of course :D). She just couldn't get her head around it but still found the whole attitude pretty derogatory.

And it is casual racism, no two ways about it. I'll willingly admit I'm guilty of it myself on occasion.

If the rest of the world don't see them as a minority then where does that leave the claim that they would be shocked by our "racism". As I said knacker is less commonly used in Ireland than Pikey in England. Someone using the term Pikey is hardly in a position to complain about the Irish use of derogatory terms.

Most people who come to Ireland see travellers as Irish ethnically, and far from blaming us as racists tiwards them they either end up blaming Irish people for the anti- social behaviour of travellers as Irish people, or they blame the State not dealing with that anti-social behaviour.

Yamanoto wrote: »

Nor have I. (though in my experience, the term 'knacker' was always reserved for trackie-wearing ne'er do wells, rather than travellers).

I'd imagine many have witnessed conversations in which travellers were casually decried and disparaged and it was viewed as socially acceptable - often among 'polite company', folks who'd otherwise balk at the first hint of a racist or xenophobic utterance.

Decrying anti-social behaviour is not racism, and it's certainly not casual racism, the casual use of the word Knacker would annoy me, a specific complaint about anti-social behaviour wouldn't.

In general I don't talk politics much in real life, so I may be missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

The best thing about Australia for me is how far it is away from me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement