Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian racism?

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If the rest of the world don't see them as a minority then where does that leave the claim that they would be shocked by our "racism". As I said knacker is less commonly used in Ireland than Pikey in England. Someone using the term Pikey is hardly in a position to complain about the Irish use of derogatory terms.

Most people who come to Ireland see travellers as Irish ethnically, and far from blaming us as racists tiwards them they either end up blaming Irish people for the anti- social behaviour of travellers as Irish people, or they blame the State not dealing with that anti-social behaviour.

I can't quantify wither way which word is used more where, and I never said anything about the english in the first place anyway....

At the end of he day all either of us is talking about is purely anecdotal so we'll never get anywhere in that regard. The main point I'm trying to make is the general attitude towards travellers here is just as racist as the attitude towards aborigines in australia. Imho at least.
    Decrying anti-social behaviour is not racism, and it's certainly not casual racism, the casual use of the word Knacker would annoy me, a specific complaint about anti-social behaviour wouldn't.

I agree with you there regards decrying anti-social behaviour not being racism. The use of the terms knacker or pikey and the broad generalisations (which are commonplace in my experience) that all travellers are anti-social/can't be trusted etc. is what I would consider to be casual racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

What does my head in is the agenda put forward by Traveller Rights groups and the like.

You will notice that they insist on calling themselves "an ethnic minority" and a distinct race.

This is very deliberate agenda.

A gob****e High Court judge in the UK classed them as a separate ethnic minority a few years back and hence they are entitled to all sorts of entitlements under Human Rights.

As things stand they are better protected in the UK than in Ireland. Hence this constant "blah blah ethinic minority race crap".

Be aware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Decrying anti-social behaviour is not racism, and it's certainly not casual racism

I made no reference to folks passing critical comment on instances of anti-social behaviour DH, that's an element you introduced yourself and an altogether different matter. What I'm referring to is blanket assertions concerning travellers, made in the course of normal conversation - dialogue oft-peppered with pejoratives and adhering to pre-conceived notions of who and what the traveller is. The result of which, to use the vernacular, is to tar all with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

What does my head in is the agenda put forward by Traveller Rights groups and the like.

You will notice that they insist on calling themselves "an ethnic minority" and a distinct race.

This is very deliberate agenda.

A gob****e High Court judge in the UK classed them as a separate ethnic minority a few years back and hence they are entitled to all sorts of entitlements under Human Rights.

As things stand they are better protected in the UK than in Ireland. Hence this constant "blah blah ethinic minority race crap".

Be aware!

The Irish government should troll the **** out of Pavee Point. They should propose affirmative action like policies to help travellers gain employment.

If they get ethnic status we will never integrate time. The government should link child benefit in with the childs attendance at school. Unexplained absence from school for three days, fine. No child benefit for that month. You want to take your child out of school at 14? No problem. No more child benefit, but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Think we need a new name for Travellers because the only time they seem to travel is when they are in trouble with the law.

Pikeys is a good name for them but the English beat us to that one.

Have heard smokies before but to be honest I would rather they smell of smoke than what they actually smell like(a mixed bag of crap).

Anyone here got a good name for them?

Mod note: user banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Think we need a new name for Travellers because the only time they seem to travel is when they are in trouble with the law.

Pikeys is a good name for them but the English beat us to that one.

Have heard smokies before but to be honest I would rather they smell of smoke than what they actually smell like(a mixed bag of crap).

Anyone here got a good name for them?

If you want the thread closed, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I can't quantify wither way which word is used more where, and I never said anything about the english in the first place anyway....

At the end of he day all either of us is talking about is purely anecdotal so we'll never get anywhere in that regard. The main point I'm trying to make is the general attitude towards travellers here is just as racist as the attitude towards aborigines in australia. Imho at least.

I agree with you there regards decrying anti-social behaviour not being racism. The use of the terms knacker or pikey and the broad generalisations (which are commonplace in my experience) that all travellers are anti-social/can't be trusted etc. is what I would consider to be casual racism.

Yeah I agree. The nature of the racism against both groups is really similar. But I still think the frequency of it is greater in Australia. And actually boards.ie seems to be a hot-bed of anti-traveller sentiment. Very few people in my 'real life' would talk that way so casually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Just make sure you're referring to the band
    woooooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nature boy

Advertisement