Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a product. Want to maybe patent and sell it?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a product that i would like to market and sell and maybe patent

The problem is that i have only got one and would like to be able to somehow mass manufacture it.
    I have never designed anything like it before and definitely never started a business to market anything

It could be a complete flop, but i dont think so. I think there is definitely a niche for it.

The product itself is a 6 inch long metal cyclinder, 1 inch in diameter with 2 pieces of metal that connect into it. It is for use in the leisure industry and afaik there is nothing like it on the market.

I would need help to design it properly.
    Does anyone have any idea's how to go about this?
    Thanks for any help guys!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

Where did you get the first one made?

If you want to get something mass manufactured then you would need a set of Manufacturing Drawings which a Product Designer/Engineer/CAD guy should be able to do for you and then it would be typical to send them to China to have the product manufactured.

I don't have the appropriate contacts in China but I would be able to do the drawings for you, depending on the complexity of the design. When you say you need it designed properly, is that suggesting that you don't have a finished product now?

There are a few small companies around that always have things made over in China for people over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

If you try and sell your product without patent filing first then you can't patent it later. Also, telling people what it is without patenting it first would also invalidate any later patent claim. I'd suggest you proceed very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

The product i would be looking to sell is originally a piece from the USA 1960s. I altered it and used it for a completely different purpose and have been using it for years, thought a couple of times about selling it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Go to a patent agent and establish that it is patentable. Get basic protection, if it is. Then start on the commercial aspects.
    The web is a great gateway for novel products and you can get lots of pointers from the posters here on boards.ie on how best to proceed once you have it protected.

Good luck

Peter

Never heard of a patent agent before. Interesting.
    Is it just a case of googling one and going to them? Are they all equally reputable?

Thanks again

Just got autocad and going to try design this thing lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Why dont you ask the advice of a patent Lawyer ???

You see 'The Ap' i have no idea how to approach this. I dont even have a design really. But i will soon.
    What i have is two working prototypes, that will generate a nice bit of interest in the right circles

After that i have no idea how to approach this or what to do next. Lack of funds & time is also a factor, but i will make time now for a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Never heard of a patent agent before. Interesting.
    Is it just a case of googling one and going to them? Are they all equally reputable?

Thanks again

Just got autocad and going to try design this thing lol

http://www.aptma.ie/firms.htm. Link to list of patent agents in Ireland and contact details. I have always used Anne Ryan & co. and would recommend them highly

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

hi i would be interested in talking to you about this, a friend of mine is big in china and getting items mass produced and importing into UK and IRE, drop me a PM if you would like to talk and we can take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kflynn

There is a company in Limerick called Tidi who have just branched out into their new business "Ur Design". They are a good 20year + in operation.

They'll mass produce it and help you with anything else. I spoke to them once, the first meeting wasn't charged and it was well worth it.

(Hope this isn't mistaken for advertising, I am in no way affiliated with them!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement