Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes you pick your household insurance company

Options
  • 27-07-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people class as the most important when picking your houshold insurance provider:
    • price
    • policy conditions
    • excess
    • company regocnition / reputation
    • claims handling experience
    • other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

I believe they are all very important considerations. If I asked ten people I know this question, they would all probably say PRICE, PRICE, PRICE.

I find most excesses are similar so that doesn't have a major bearing for me (I will ensure that it is not out of line). I take into account the company's attitude and service when it comes to paying claims.....I have certain contacts in the industry who have guided me in this regard. I therefore pay slightly more than the cheapest premium available based the company's ability to turnaround and resolve a potential claim.

It is only when sh1t happens, people look at the policy terms and then have to jump through hoops to get what should rightfully be due. I also believe car insurance should be treated in the same manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Price, Excess, minimum valuation of jewellery requiring a valuation cert

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi Keith :)

Price, Excess and reputation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The most important consideration is a balanced mix between cover and reputation. The insurers who provides both are usually the busiest and offer a competitive (not always cheapest) premium

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

its a good comprimise between price and cover for me.
    My renewal last year was slightly more expensive than some other quotes but they just didnt cover the same ie. unspecified items etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Compromise between price and cover for me.

To be honest, I would expect every company these days to try to leech their way out of paying claims. I have never had a claim, either motor or home, but I know a few people who have over recent years and in every case the insurance company will do their utmost to find a way out of paying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

I find most excesses are similar so that doesn't have a major bearing for me (I will ensure that it is not out of line

There is actually a major variance on this item as the standrd ezcess ranges from €125 to €500 across the policies

In relation to subsidence the excess ranges from €1000 to €5000

In relation to escape of water the excess ranges from €125 to €1000

So as you can see there is a big range in terms of excess

Advertisement