Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Rush Due to Close 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Rushwan

Just another nail in the coffin for Rush, surprised at AIB pulling out, since they had a monopoly in Rush as regards banking...what's next to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

No surprise, wasn't even called a bank the last few years, retail unit was what it was listed as by AIB. Services to move to Balbriggan with An Post taking some services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0727/aibclosures.pdf

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0727/aib-to-raise-mortgage-rates-by-0-5.html

I am a little suprised as they were the only bank in town. While I dont use them any time I have been in there there is a few people waiting to be served. I would have said it was reasonably busy spot.

Have not heard if Rush C.C have issued a statement or organised a protest but I think its a scandelous slap in the face for local people.
    Rushwan wrote: »
    Just another nail in the coffin for Rush, surprised at AIB pulling out, since they had a monopoly in Rush as regards banking...what's next to go?

Rush has to fight back. Yes its a slap in the face but Rush can overcome this setback. Is there any joined up thinking between banks and other service providers? There is talk of a new post office in the proposed development on Main street so maybe this will be our new facility for banking. However this is only at planning stage and A.I.B should be forced to keep the Rush branch open until this development is open. What is going to happen to people who use the night safe?

Not sure how people can protest Well I do but dont want to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

LeoB wrote: »
    I am a little suprised as they were the only bank in town. While I dont use them any time I have been in there there is a few people waiting to be served. I would have said it was reasonably busy spot.

Have not heard if Rush C.C have issued a statement or organised a protest but I think its a scandelous slap in the face for local people.

Rush has to fight back. Yes its a slap in the face but Rush can overcome this setback. Is there any joined up thinking between banks and other service providers? There is talk of a new post office in the proposed development on Main street so maybe this will be our new facility for banking. However this is only at planning stage and A.I.B should be forced to keep the Rush branch open until this development is open. What is going to happen to people who use the night safe?

Not sure how people can protest Well I do but dont want to get banned.

A disapointment for residents and business's in Rush but an obvious move given the state of AIB.
    It's owned by the taxpayer, thats us, and loosing money at a rate of knots, so closures, cutbacks, redundancies, etc are the only way to return to profit and repay the taxpayer, that's us again.
    So who are you protesting against, yourself,
    My understanding is that the Post Office will take in the cash/cheques on behalf of the bank, and process other transactions, so other than a change of location no change in service, in effect this should strengthen the Post Office staying open where offices have closed in towns like Rush in recent years.
    In addition the local staff will not loose a job, just a transfer probably to Balbriggan.

martinn123 wrote: »
    A disapointment for residents and business's in Rush but an obvious move given the state of AIB.
    It's owned by the taxpayer, thats us, and loosing money at a rate of knots, so closures, cutbacks, redundancies, etc are the only way to return to profit and repay the taxpayer, that's us again.
    So who are you protesting against, yourself,
    My understanding is that the Post Office will take in the cash/cheques on behalf of the bank, and process other transactions, so other than a change of location no change in service, in effect this should strengthen the Post Office staying open where offices have closed in towns like Rush in recent years.
    In addition the local staff will not loose a job, just a transfer probably to Balbriggan.

I dont think its an obvious move to close Rush branch at all. I actually thought A.I.B were turning things around slowly from what I heard on the news. There were losses again but are they not reducing?. Cutbacks are on the cards ok but taking basic facilities away from Rural communities who depend on it is not the only route they can go. There are plenty of big branchs in Dublin, Cork, Limerick which in my opinion should be first to be cut. Then we have their H.Q. How many of the muppetts in there will be let go for assisting in creating this mess? The ones who put pressure on people to take extra loans knowing they would struggle to repay them. OK the people didnt have to take the money......... Its owned by the taxpayer and we taxpayers should kick up a right fuss about this closure.

The post office will provide the services ok but a more limited service and I am not sure Rush P.O is quite big enough at the moment and I base this only on the amount of people I see in A.I.B anytime I have been in there. Rush P.O is quite a busy office as it is and until such time as local people can be guarenteed a good service A.I.B Rush should remain open. Maybe we are going to get a bigger office in the proposed new development.

while I agree with the tone of the above post, it does not reflect the reality of the poor position AIB is in. 60% of Mortgages are tracker, and are loss making, for example, great for the mortgage holder but bad for profits.

the ''loss of rural offices'' argument usually refers to Post Office's where pensioners and unemployed collect payments, or we buy a TV liscence, this does not apply to AIB.

Customers can access a relatively new branch in Balbriggan, with better facilities and also Swords, both a short Bus journey away.
    AIB Rush is a small branch, with limited facilities, afraid its well past its sell by date, so closure was inevitable. How many Personal customers use a branch with Internet banking, and the day of the ''Local Branch manager'' is long gone, all lending is controlled from H/O.
    I'm sad to see it close, but if it speeds up a return to Profit for the taxpayer, then I see no other option.

• Advertisement

while I agree with the tone of the above post, it does not reflect the reality of the poor position AIB is in. 60% of Mortgages are tracker, and are loss making, for example, great for the mortgage holder but bad for profits. .
    They didnt give a fcuk when they were making massive profits and sneering at people. They (A.I.B GROUP) had warningS before the backside fell out of our economey with Freddie May and Fanny Mac or what ever they were called in U.S not to mention the controls they should have had in place after (John Rusnack) also in U.S viz their loan book it was crazy what they were doing. I know Rusnack was in a different area but we had promises from Lochlin Quinn? at the time everything else was fine in the A.I.B group and there were controls in place I suppose while we often slag off the yanks they have the balls to lock up people who act recklessly in big business we simply dont
    the ''loss of rural offices'' argument usually refers to Post Office's where pensioners and unemployed collect payments, or we buy a TV liscence, this does not apply to AIB. .
    We associate it with Office closures but I feel in this instance It applies to A.I.B if you dont have a car. Its quite a walk from Market green up to the bank and then try get back for a bus. Ok for us "younger" folk but very unfair on elderley
    Customers can access a relatively new branch in Balbriggan, with better facilities and also Swords, both a short Bus journey away.
    AIB Rush is a small branch, with limited facilities, afraid its well past its sell by date, so closure was inevitable. How many Personal customers use a branch with Internet banking, and the day of the ''Local Branch manager'' is long gone, all lending is controlled from H/O.
    I'm sad to see it close, but if it speeds up a return to Profit for the taxpayer, then I see no other option.
    I cant factually answer some of your question/points but the lending had to be controlled from HQ because of the mess they made. A.I.B have been trimming staff for years in the interest of profits/shareholders and I would simply have no faith in them. When the bank does return to profitability it will probably be sold to some big investors and so will start another cycle of our white collar folk looking after each other. A.I.B Rush is the way it is because facilities were taken away bit by bit over the last 12 - 14 years.

Just to clarify I dont use A.I.B for anything, nor am I a shareholder I just think there are other alternatives they and the regulator are afraid of, like setting up a clean bank to help small local business and tradesmen who have their overdraft faciliteies withdraw despite years of loyal and good custom turned into loans. In fairness A.I.B are not alone in this... Scandelous. Rant over

One very serious local issue here will be the provision of a night safe. We dont have a garda station anymore, Rush again........ So where will the security come from for shops, pubs and garages? That is serious and until such time as we have something very secure in A.I.B should be made stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I agree largely with martinn123 on this one. Times have moved on as has banking. The Rush Bank was downgraded as a bank for years even before the Recession so I wasn't surprised it was on the closer list. Everyone has cars these days to drive to nightsafes and credit card and laser have reduced cash payments. My own experience of using the "Rush Outlet" is that I am an AIB customer but due to not having an account with Rush AIB if I require to take out an amount larger than allowed on my bankcard I must first ring my AIB bank that I have the account with asking them to send permission to Rush by fax/email.:mad: Its purely designed to make you bank online methinks.

I agree with LeoB point about the Post Office. Its not fit for purpose, just look at the problems on pension day not to forget having to navigate the minefield of flower pots on the way in. Security would not be at the same level as banks these days. Hopefully the new scheme for a new post office will be approved.

LeoB wrote: »

Just to clarify I dont use A.I.B for anything, nor am I a shareholder

I have some bad news for you.......you are a shareholder, we all are, we own the soddin Bank.
    One very serious local issue here will be the provision of a night safe. We dont have a garda station anymore, Rush again........ So where will the security come from for shops, pubs and garages? That is serious and until such time as we have something very secure in A.I.B should be made stay open.

This I can agree with, but on it's own not sufficient reason to keep it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why are services moving to Balbriggan and not Skerries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Why are services moving to Balbriggan and not Skerries?

Balbriggan I believe is the main branch in the area, if Rush ever needed staff to cover hols etc they always came from Balbriggan AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MaurMaurMaur

http://www.aib.ie/personal/home/branch-locator/?#

Strange that it is still listed, I mean usually withdrawn service is scrubbed off these lists...

Sad but inevitable and Rush is not the only one closing.

Advertisement