Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Oranmore considered part of the city?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭

Iv'e got a friend who's convinced that Oranmore has been absorbed into the city. she says it because the city bus runs there now and that there is little (if any) non-built up area on the roads out (except maybe the coast road).
    i'm pretty doubtful, but then, I don't really know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You posted this in the city forum rather than the county forum.
    My psychology training tells me you have made your mind up ;)

But yeah, it's a part of the city as far as I am concerned as an extended suburb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd consider it in the city limits alright. Maybe the edge of it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I say No.
    It is in Co. Galway and there Oranmoranites can stay :cool:

Now if Ardaun goes ahead and Oranmoranites want to pay higher motor insurance premiums for a 'city' address and deal with our city council, maybe we can have a rethink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

How can it be in the the city when its outside the City Council boundary, I get people here in Cork asking the same about Glanmire or Rochestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I remember when it was a separate village. That was back in the fifties / sixties.

Now even tho outside the legal city boundary, in effect is is part of Galway city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Legally, it's in the county, not the city.

For all practical purposes, it's in the city. Except bus fares - the city flat fare won't get you all the way there.

In the city council's imagination, it's part of the Galway Metropolitan Area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I still consider it independent from the city.

Maybe that's just the puritan O-Side blood in my veins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I still consider it independent from the city.

Maybe that's just the puritan O-Side blood in my veins though.
    damn you, was tryin to get the o-side ref in first. defo not part of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

When in doubt, consult the lyrics :
    In Oranmore, in the CountyGalway :p

Pretty much a suburb in practical terms. Same as Barna.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

nuac wrote: »
    I remember when it was a separate village. That was back in the fifties / sixties.

Now even tho outside the legal city boundary, in effect is is part of Galway city

Remember when Salthill was called 'The Village'? Even 10 years ago auctioneers were describing Oran and Barna as Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Iv'e got a friend who's convinced that Oranmore has been absorbed into the city. she says it because the city bus runs there now and that there is little (if any) non-built up area on the roads out (except maybe the coast road).
    i'm pretty doubtful, but then, I don't really know.
    By that reckoning, large parts of the population of Kildare and Wicklow (not so much Meath) live in Dublin City, even though in each case, there is an intervening county council.

Your friend needs to understand the difference between being in a city and a suburb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Is it **** in the city. There's a clear break between the suburbs and Oranmore.

It's in the County. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Slightly off topic but officially parts of the old estates on the Headford Road are part of the Gaelteacht and people living there were eligible to vote in the Udaras elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

inisboffin wrote: »
    When in doubt, consult the lyrics :
    In Oranmore, in the CountyGalway :p

Pretty much a suburb in practical terms. Same as Barna.

Effectively a city suburb in the county, Barna being another (desirable) example.

In the future there may be no distinction at all and, who knows, maybe these buildings will be all part of the one local authority? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

It's clearly not part of Galway City.

And Barna being "effectively" part of the city? My arse!

Some bits of it are, I believe, inside the boundaries.
    The city council has a depot there.
    Virtually everyone who lives there works in the city, and shops there.
    It's got a national school of it's own, but no secondary school. I don't know for sure, but bet that most secondary aged kids travel to the city not further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Have ye all just arrived in Galway in the last 15 years?

County Galway ....not even close...Galway City stops at Merlin, Castlegar is debatable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It depends on what you mean by "part".

Administrative boundaries are entirely artificial anyway, but if that's your measure then clearly neither Oranmore nor Barna are in the City Council area.

But they are "inextricably linked" to the city:
    Recognising that a number of Electoral Divisions (ED) adjacent to the City area are inextricably linked to, and function as part of a greater Galway City then a Galway Metropolitan Area can be identified as Galway City plus the EDs of Oranmore, Barna, Galway Rural and Ballintemple which are serviced by Galway City Council and Galway County Council. In this Galway Metropolitan Area, a number of large developments have taken place in recent years. This area is economically and socially integrated and is supported by coordinated investment in critical infrastructure such as transport, rail, water, wastewater, electricity and gas. Sustainable dynamic development of this Galway Gateway and Galway Metropolitan Area is critical for the economic growth of the region.
    On the other hand, I know of people who live in Rahoon who really really want to be living in Knocknacarra, while their 'neighbours' in Knocknacarra really want to be in Barna. So they just change their postal addresses, and bingo, they are "effectively" living in a more desirable suburb... :)

"Galway Metropolitan Council" anyone?

Galway City stops at Merlin, Castlegar is debatable..

Not according to the maps I've seen.

I wonder why Galway City has a lot to do with Roscam and Doughiska ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

JustMary wrote: »
    Galway City stops at Merlin, Castlegar is debatable..

i always thought the city limit stopped at the overbridge on the old Dublin road dual carriageway at garraun south? not sure where i got that from tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

In any case, Oranmore =/= Galway city
    For a few years, as the city spread eastwards, it looked as if the village would be subsumed but we'll never seen that level of building again. Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

The city boundary on the east side is clearly marked, its the point on the dual carriageway where the grass stops getting cut!! That rather puts oranmore in the schticks, so to speak. Other city boundaries are at bothar an choiste junction on headford and cappagh rd jct on spiddal rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The boundary is now on Google Earth, So the poster who spoke of Gurrane South is right.

Actually notice how Galway City and Waterford City have larger boundaries than Cork City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ratracer wrote: »
    . Other city boundaries are at bothar an choiste junction on headford and cappagh rd jct on spiddal rd

barna woods is inside the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

JustMary wrote: »

Please quote your references ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

GalwayMap_Thumb.jpg

Please quote your references ...

Maps I've seen included printed ones published by OSI (Street Map 3rd edition, ISBN 1-905511-18-3)

And then there's the Galway City Development Plan 2011 - 2017 City Map - http://gis.galwaycity.ie/devplanflipbook/maps/city.htm

The city boundary map from the council website's map-guide: http://gis.galwaycity.ie/proweb_mapviewer/
    (viewable in IE only)

That do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Administrative boundaries are entirely artificial anyway,
    Not quite. Most will align with rivers/streams, lakes, mountains and field boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Oranmore is miles outside Dublin so no, Oranmore is not considered part of the city. It's part of the country though :cool:

Advertisement