Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to pick up an analog synth any recommendations

• 27-07-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Ive been producing for about a year now but Im pissed off with nearly all of my softsynths as they just come across as too sterile and weak. The only ones I actually do like are my u-He ones so I thought Id dip my toes in the analog world.

I was checking out the moog slimphatty today in town and I was pretty blown away by its power and rich sound but Im a bit concerned that it would be limited for created big bright leads.

Originally I just wanted to get a module as I have a midi keyboard already (an axiom 49) but I dont like the feel from the keys and some of them are sticky when you press them but the response I got from messing around with a nord was superb. I know the build quality is incomparable but I really want something that can give me the best of both worlds but on a budget of about 800. I’m probably asking too much really!

Ive been looking at some videos of the DSI mopho keyboard and that looks ideal but I would be sceptical of splashing out on something I didn’t get a demo of in person first.

Can anyone recommend something that might suit me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

personally i don't rate the dave smith stuff(polyevolver looks good though), i don't rate the phatty either. For the same price you could get the new mfb dominion or some older synths, i see there is a roland sh 101(infamous for the dance scene back in the day) and also a roland sh-2(slightly more powerful) up on adverts. There are also a moog taurus bass pedals up there too(mega bass).
    Also consider maybe a doepfer dark energy, the new moog minitaur. Perosnally iw ould probably go for a analogue solutions leipzig s, although i hear build quality is suspect, probably cost about a grand too!! The 101 on adverts would be kinda nice although in my opinion its way over priced there(cause its red!!!!), sh2 is also nice.

If the 101 was around 500 i would probably go for that if the seller would drop the price, so possibly the sh-2 or analogue solutions leipzig for me, both great for bass/leads and efx and of course have a keyboard too

oops of course the mfb dominion is an option too
    good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Cheers. Ive been looking at loads of stuff trying to figure out what exactly i want but that Leipzig-s looks the the ****! I dont think I can stretch to a grand for one synth but Im definitely going to have a look around for a second hand one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

Oberheim SEM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭Hayte

Have you tried Minimonsta? It seems as if you've got the moog bug. Minimonsta sounds really good and is like a minimoog clone but with an extended feature set, so if you reach some of the limits of minimoog you can go further in terms of routing and polyphony. The further you go in that direction the more obviously un mini it becomes but it has great versality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

Hayte wrote: »
    Have you tried Minimonsta? It seems as if you've got the moog bug. Minimonsta sounds really good and is like a minimoog clone but with an extended feature set, so if you reach some of the limits of minimoog you can go further in terms of routing and polyphony. The further you go in that direction the more obviously un mini it becomes but it has great versality.

ahem it is a software version, which does not touch the real deal, however it does sit well in the mix

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I was checking out the moog slimphatty today in town and I was pretty blown away by its power and rich sound but Im a bit concerned that it would be limited for created big bright leads.

Then just layer in a soft synth for brightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

arturia mini brute is due out in september, looks fantastic for 500 quid

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/minibrute/intro.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

brianc27 wrote: »

That synth is getting really good reviews,might be worth a punt or you could wait and get one secondhand from someone who bought it but doesnt use it in a month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Ya i have that one earmarked for sure. I actually thought it was already out. Ive been ringing around places in dublin to see if there are any demo models anywhere but that would explain why I was having no luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

MiniBrute looks great but I don't see it on sale / in stock in any of the main EU online stores yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

brianc27 wrote: »

No MIDI THRU though. Major inadequacy in a studio setup I find, but it depends on what you want it for. If you just want it for playing live with sequenced accompaniments/band members it might be grand.

Would I be right in saying you could get around the problem in the studio by using it as your master keyboard but it's only got a couple of octaves on its board? I'm no expert - just speaking from my own experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

DeccyJ wrote: »
    No MIDI THRU though.

No MIDI THRU?..............In this day and age?......

I can't speak for the arturia. But most midi devices, will let you switch from send, receive to thru. And they'll generally you a lot of control over the fidly bits.

Something I have - but have never used - a 16 channel midi rack. So, if you're using other devices you don't need a THRU.

One thing. Combining hardware with a laptop, is usually one incredible pain in the arse. What I would love, but no one has ever done it, that I'm aware of, is MIDI/Wireless. So you're not messing with that much cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DeccyJ

krd wrote: »
    What I would love, but no one has ever done it, that I'm aware of, is MIDI/Wireless

Great concept! Surely it's possible in theory? Any electronic engineers/gurus on here to shed some light?

Advertisement