Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocky Lying Sales Rep Caught Out!

• 27-07-2012 6:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

I just had to run a Vodafone sales rep from my front door.
    A cocky twenty year old tried to sell me his company phone/broadband service with every lie possible (besides also promising the sun, moon and stars, so to speak.
    Long story short, genuinely knowing my stuff, I ripped him to shreds and ran him.
    He couldn't get off the long driveway quick enough!

Anyone else ever catch a sales rep out with their lies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

That has to be one of the most ambiguous OPs ever.

Details man, details!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Thinly veiled "I have a long driveway" thread. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Biggins wrote: »
    Long story short

Give us the long story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

So some young guy was trying to earn a living not bumming off the state and you had to be the big man and make his job all the more difficult. Right?

Good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

A Jehovahs Witness knocked at my parents door years ago and he was invited in. My father duely showed him a Betterware catalogue "the good book" he called it and tried to get him to buy some stuff.

Poor mother was mortified, father broke his hole laughing and sent him on his way......"God Boy" wasnt happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ooh look at mr bigshot with his long driveway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

ottostreet wrote: »
    That has to be one of the most ambiguous OPs ever.

Details man, details!

Sorry, he lied about the actual package I'm signed up to for broadband/phone services.
    Lied about monthly usage I'm getting, the cost, the speed of mine and his line service.
    He lied about their guaranteed ability to provide a minimum speed and more!

(I'm qualified also an I.T. engineer, programmer, I.T. teacher and graphic artist so I knew a little about them funny things that have CPU's in them and a little about the interwebby stuff) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yep, the other day I opened the door and said 'no thanks'. He walked away and I carried on watching come dine with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

So you've a long driveway and you know more about IT than a 20 year old with a summer job...

Well done you.

phasers wrote: »
    ooh look at mr bigshot with his long driveway

LOL :p

It just means more work to keep clean! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Being rude to guy trying to scrape a living on commission doing a thankless job?

My hero.

studiorat wrote: »
    So you've a long driveway and you know more about IT than a 20 year old with a summer job...

Well done you.

Thank you.
    I don't call to his door and bare face lie people into a contract.
    I don't wish or want anyone to call to mine and try do same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

*starts googling list of professions*

I'll find you Biggins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Can we address the important details here please?

When you say 'long driveway'....how long is long?

30 metres, or closer to 100?

Because closer to 100 and you could call it a runway.

So how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Mena wrote: »
    So some young guy was trying to earn a living not bumming off the state and you had to be the big man and make his job all the more difficult. Right?

Good one.

Yeah, we should all encourage Sales Reps to go door to door telling lies.

That's exactly what the country needs right now.:rolleyes:

Sorry, he lied about the actual package I'm signed up to for broadband/phone services.
    Lied about monthly usage I'm getting, the cost, the speed of mine and his line service.

(I'm qualified also an I.T. engineer, programmer, I.T. teacher and graphic artist so I knew a little about them funny things that have CPU's in them and a little about the interwebby stuff) )
    I thought you were a rogue agent or Walter Mitty or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Is your wife's name Hyacinth?

Thank you.

Hence the long driveway I suppose.

What lies did he tell ? Tell us about your phone contract?

I also have many leather clad books on my shelves! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

LOL :p

It just means more work to keep clean! :(

You clean it yourself? Madness! Just get someone to do it for you. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I think I should get the parachute 'cause I'm great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

xoxyx wrote: »

In fact..I think I should get 2 parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

A cocky twenty year old tried to sell me his company phone/broadband service with every lie possible (besides also promising the sun, moon and stars, so to speak.
    Long story short, genuinely knowing my stuff, I ripped him to shreds and ran him.

Yup, caught out Airtricity so often its getting funny at this stage.
    But they still keep knocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Fizman wrote: »

So how long?
    Mines quite long, 120m. Door to door salemen can not ever be arsed walking up it. Theres also two, one for "tradesmen" and vans, one to go to the front door. You can see it on Satellite photos as its a big Y shape of concrete. Biggys, if yours is not visible from sattelites, you're a lightweight! No wonder you always get pestered by the hoi polloi!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

Being rude to guy trying to scrape a living on commission doing a thankless job?

My hero.

Who invited the guy to someones private residence to make a sales pitch.

Ignorant, bad manners at best.

If biggins or anyone else wants to buy a phone, or change provider they can go to the market place and see what vendors have to offer. That's to a Store or a Website. It's an aggressive and invasive attack to approach someone in their own time, in their own homes and try to force business on them.

We need to make it illegal in this country to make sales pitches to people in public places or in their homes. I will always to tell chuggers and door to door sales people to fck off, but it should not be legal for anyone to operate this way to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A fella once called to my house trying to sell a stuffed cat with a big penis.

I told him we don't get many cocky lion sales reps around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

My hero.

living on commission gives him the right to try to rip people off does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Have u got longs doors to match the long drive way??

Do u have a limo?

A long drive way would look very empty without one of them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I hate this kind of thing aswell, good on ya Biggins.

If someone is knocking on my door, especially late in the evening trying to sell me something / ram their political views down my neck then they better come prepared (with lots of accurate knowledge and striking retorts to my well informed questions).

Yeah of course fair play to them for working those door to door sales jobs but on the other hand that's no excuse for lies.

I'm sure there are people out there who will believe anything, you know, those people who know nothing about what the reps are selling.

studiorat wrote: »
    Hence the long driveway I suppose.
    What lies did he tell ? Tell us about your phone contract?

I also have many leather clad books on my shelves! :rolleyes:
    1. Did you bother to even read the previous posts?
    2. Fair play about the books.
    SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yup, caught out Airtricity so often its getting funny at this stage.
    But they still keep knocking!

Some people seem to think its acceptable to allow lies to be told to them - then some of those same people wonder why later they are getting bad service in general or specific instances!

A blatant lying sales rep to me is non-acceptable no matter what age they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hope you reported him back to the company I hate when they scam people into buying their packages.

Vodafone pulled a con on me recently too, one of them rang me up telling me I could switch to a 24mb connection with much higher download limits. It would have been just an extra €10 so I went for it. After two weeks of no speed improvements I rang them back up only to find out there's no 24mb connection available where I am and I shouldn't have been sold the package.
    Now the package deal I was on doesn't exist. I've no idea what my package is like because you have to ring them up and speed ages in a phone system to change your password for the website. The only way I know what I'm paying is when I see the money go out on my bank statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

i dont think its fair to attack the op, when the salesman was wasnt telling the truth about the products and clearly had no idea what he was talking about, but at the same time op shouldnt have tryed to show him up and make him feel inferior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Samich wrote: »
    xoxyx wrote: »

In fact..I think I should get 2 parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Tag team! :) *Virtual high five*

1. Did you bother to even read the previous posts?

Yes it basically says you are right and he is wrong.

So what did he say that was a lie?

i dont think its fair to attack the op, when the salesman was wasnt telling the truth about the products and clearly had no idea what he was talking about, but at the same time op shouldnt have tryed to show him up and make him feel inferior

I didn't make him feel inferior - I clearly corrected his lies with further correct info.
    He ran when he was caught out on his lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The lad is probably over in the Cries of Retail thread right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Barbieliveshere

I just close the electric gates and watch them try to open them for a good 10 minutes to no avail. Tis highly amusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

Fizman wrote: »

So how long?

Here's the driveway,

I'd say it's 15 to 20 meters

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/292512/214885.jpg

Disclaimer: may or may not be the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Aren't you the big man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I read your posts in Eddies voice. Thanks for ruining that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Aw you ruined it for me now :mad:
    I thought you were a spy or something :(:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I didn't make him feel inferior - I clearly corrected his lies with further correct info.
    Poor young fellah. Maybe he could get a real job doing voice-overs for the Asian version of "Famiry Guy" playing "Petel Gliffin" :-

"Ding, ding, diddly-ding Lock Robstel; ding, ding diddly ding, Lock Robstel ... "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

And then I said to him - well I don't remember, but it was the most astonishing one line putdown since Oscar Wilde. Hilarious and cruel, it was.....

Aren't you the big man

Average height actually - wish I was bigger in some areas though! :(

What can ya do! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

Well when you say things like ripping him to shreds its sounds like that apoligies then if it didnt go down like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Were you not going to run for the Dáil?

A candidate who doesn't canvass and doesn't lie

That's a new one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

My hero.

Are you basically saying that a liar (first and foremost) should be entertained on my/yours/the OP's front door?

If they're telling bare faced lies, which could result in me being locked into a long, expensive, non negotiable contract, where I do not get the package/goods I was only told half truths about, the 'poor commission based sales rep' line goes out the fcuking driveway along with his lying ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Why the sympathy for a dodgy salesman? Isn't it fair enough to make someone feel like a moron when they want to make a moron out of you? And also kind of inevitable if you know better. Are there a few dodgy salesmen on AH I wonder? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Were you not going to run for the Dáil?

A candidate who doesn't canvass and doesn't lie

That's a new one :pac:

This thread will inevitably follow the same routine as those ones.

Long on flowery superfluos prose biggin' up the OP. And driveways, lol.

Short on any actual detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Ghandee wrote: »
    Are you basically saying that a liar (first and foremost) should be entertained on my/yours/the OP's front door?

If they're telling bare faced lies, which could result in me being locked into a long, expensive, non negotiable contract, where I do not get the package/goods I was only told half truths about, the 'poor commission based sales rep' line goes out three fcuking driveway with him.

Look it probably isnt his fault, its the company you should be giving hell to, not the guy who was clearly under instruction(and probably intimidation) from line management to tell bare face lies at people's doorsteps. As you said, 20, desperate for a job and easily manipulated. bingo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement