Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocky Lying Sales Rep Caught Out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Nice one Biggins, Your dead right. F him. If he is going to work for a company that sends him out to lie to peoples faces then he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

WumBuster wrote: »
    Look it probably isnt his fault, its the company you should be giving hell to, not the guy who was clearly under instruction(and probably intimidation) from line management to tell bare face lies at people's doorsteps. As you said, 20, desperate for a job and easily manipulated. bingo

All that.

Or, seen OP as a potential extra fifty quid for tonights beer tokens by telling a few white lies.

Once OP signed up, realises he's been hoodwinked, customer care line don't know who the rep was called to door, obligatory line of 'sorry Mr Biggins, but you did sign a contact for 24 months, and the fact that your only getting a tenth of the speed/calls you thought you'd get its irrelevant' only way out its to buy your way out.

Short version, he gets his commission on your signature and doesn't care how he gets you to sign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Were you not going to run for the Dáil?

A candidate who doesn't canvass and doesn't lie

That's a new one :pac:

As previously mentioned a few times, I withdrew when Gerry Adams decided to stand within my constituency.
    As expected, there was the previous ant-FF backlash and a FG and Labour rep were thus near guaranteed a seat (and indeed they got them) - that just left one seat... then Mr Adams decided to run.
    ...Well that was that.

Next time around, as the two local FG and Labour rep's have let the local area down very, very badly, I again stand a better chance along side Mr Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2BT

Biggins wrote: »
    A blatant lying sales rep to me is non-acceptable no matter what age they are!

If his age is irrelevant then why state it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

As previously mentioned a few times, I withdrew when Gerry Adams decided to stand within my constituency.
    As as expected, there was the previous ant-FF backlash and a FG and Labour rep were thus near guaranteed a seat (and in deed they got them) - that just left one seat... then Mr Adams decided to run.
    ...Well that was that.

Next time around, as the two local FG and Labour rep's have let the local area down very, very badly, I again stand a better chance along side Mr Adams.

That's not what you said at the time, from this thread.

The consensus there was that you thought better of it when either a €500 deposit or thirty signatures were required, as you waffled on rather than give a clear answer as to which way you were going to go about it.

...Short on any actual detail.

Second time giving details (do some purposely ignore previous posts with any details?).

* He lied about the speeds that was possible and about line degradation.
    * He lied about the service I was with in speeds, monthly limits and even tried to guarantee that with Vodafone, I would always have a minimum speed of an 8 meg service in the area and to my door.
    (I previously carried out two separate line checks with a local exchange two miles away and because of the poor quality Eircom lines - which Vodafone piggyback off - 4.5 megis is the maximum, and thats on a good day with out further dropping and/or degradation)
    * He lied about the actual costs of his service and tried to blandly tell me that I was not paying what I was/am actually paying.
    * He lied about their and my current download allowance with my service provider.

That's not what you said at the time, from this thread.

The consensus there was that you thought better of it when either a €500 deposit or thirty signatures were required, as you waffled on rather than give a clear answer as to which way you were going to go about it.
    But if you bothered to look at other posts I've later or perhaps previously made, you might have read what I have already posted above - but hey - god forbid that you might actually post or link those threads!
    After all you don't want to be posting that you were wrong!

Clearly by your posts, you seem to have an chip on the shoulder and/ or an issue with me.
    If you have a problem with me, please take it to a mod or get over yourself!

I'm formally and politely asking you to keep this tread on topic - instead of coming across just bitter about some undefined at yet area you have yet to explain to us all!

Second time giving details (do some purposely ignore previous posts with any details?).

No, there were few in your posts up to now.
    * He lied about the speeds that was possible and about line degradation.
    * He lied about the service I was with in speeds, monthly limits and even tried to guarantee that with Vodafone, I would always have a minimum speed of an 8 meg service in the area and to my door.
    (I previously carried out two separate line checks with a local exchange two miles away and because of the poor quality Eircom lines - which Vodafone piggyback off - 4.5 megis is the maximum, and thats on a good day with out further dropping and/or degradation)
    * He lied about the actual costs of his service and tried to blandly tell me that I was not paying what I was/am actually paying.
    * He lied about their and my current download allowance with my service provider.

That's better. Did he come up with any satisfactory responses before he scarpered down your long driveway? These are fairly elementary things a door to door rep should be able to handle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fair play to the Door to Door people getting of their a*ses and doing something in these tough times doing a horrible job and getting loads of abuse, but make no mistake, these sales people(not all but the good ones) will lie to you about the product to make a few bucks, and they pick on vulnerable people and bully them to sign up.

Also these sales people have no back lash if they lie, worst that will happen is they lose their job but they're never a day away from being sacked anyway if they dont make sales.

I would never buy anything door to door.

• Advertisement

But if you bothered to look at other posts I've later or perhaps previously made, you might have read what I have already posted above - but hey - god forbid that you might actually post or link those threads!
    After all you don't want to be posting that you were wrong!

You disappeared from the thread(s) ever before Gerry even announced his intention to run. Unfortunately the threads are still there. If the explanation was so simple, you could have posted it at the time.

I have no problem with anyone-I simply have little time for people who rewrite history, indulge in lengthy fantasy, and are economical with the truth.

Had you ran for election, even be it for a local council seat, I'd have the height of respect-you'd be walking the walk. As it is, like your unwary sales rep, you ran.

That's better. Did he come up with any satisfactory responses before he scarpered down your long driveway? These are fairly elementary things a door to door rep should be able to handle.

One example:
    My download allowance is 50 gig a month.
    Take it on good faith, I read the small print.
    He stood at my front door and out right lied that a 50 gig allowance was not possible with my service provider - not once but a number of times.
    I went inside and produced my contract details and showed him my monthly allowance - and asked him did he still want to lie to me?

He had no answer but tried quickly changing the subject to "speeds" - on which he then further lied about.
    When I showed him two tech' line reports about how his guaranteed speeds was impossible for an area that he tried to convince me, he knew all about, he was completely lost for a reply and then quickly moved onto prices - more lies ensued...

Short version:

Its no wonder that people are ripped off and angry when you get lying sods even turning up at their front door.
    He is not the first from Vodafone and other rival companies trying to sell something, that have lied in their sales pitches - and they were older at times too.

Age is not an allowable excuse for fraudulently lying to get people to sign a contract.

...Had you ran for election, even be it for a local council seat, I'd have the height of respect-you'd be walking the walk. As it is, like your unwary sales rep, you ran.

*sigh*

A number of previous posts has explained this both in the politics section AND my country section.
    I'm moving on and trying to stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lucy1

I hope your kids never have to do it. My son did and I admired him for doing it

I can see where the OP is coming from though-reps from a certain electricity supplier have their own "vagaries" too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm qualified also an I.T. engineer, programmer, I.T. teacher and graphic artist

Was the leaflet laid out nicely at least?

Was the leaflet laid out nicely at least?

I think so.
    Saved for the next time! :)

Gawd bless Photoshop. I might be tempted to brush out the grey hairs - but then even that would be lying in a way, to the public!

(Want a logo/signature? LOL)

Many, many years ago I worked for a company called Grollier International.
    It was also a door to door sales job. We (a group of four) worked the Dublin area.
    It was and I assume still is, a VERY tough job to say the least.
    Lying at the doors of the public however does no favour for all the other possible more honest sales people out there.
    It's no wonder that people are very weary of such cold-callers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to be a door salesman.

Every house I called to I heard the same thing, "We've already got a door. Thanks!"

Thought I was going to go hungry until I found a campsite at the edge of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I used to own a bible sales company. This man walked into my office one day and said I w...w...w...w...w...w..w..want to s..s..s..s..s..s..s..ell b..b..b...b..bibles.

I said I'm sorry man but I dont think we have any jobs at the moment. Well the look on his face just made me want to give the guy a chance. I handed him 5 bibles and said listen come back when you've sold them and I'll pay you on commission. So anyways an hour later the guy is back.

"See man I told ya - not as easy as people think it is where are the bibles?"

I s..s..s.s..ss...ss..s.s.sold them a..a..a...all

What I said 5 bibles in an hour? Y..y..y..yes

Wow I said - here's 20 bibles come back to me at the end of the week for your commission cheque.

Next day the guy is back. "Bloody nora! You've not sold 20 bibles in a day?"

T..t..t...t.t..t..there all g..g..g..g....g..g...g...g..gone he says.

Right man you're hired - here's you 100 bibles come back to me when you need some more.

Next day the guy is back. I almost feint - "you've not sold 100... what the hell are you doing man?!"

He said and I'll always remember this:

I ww..w...w.w.w..w.ww...w.w.walk up t..t.t...t...t..t..to the d...d.d.d.d.d...door. K....K...Knock on the d...d..dd..d...door ans s..s..say d..d..d..dd...dd...do y....y....y....y..y...yyyy...you w......w...w.w.www...want to b..b...buy a b...b..bible ---

Or I'll read you one.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

I think so.
    Saved for the next time! :)

Gawd bless Photoshop. I might be tempted to brush out the grey hairs - but then even that would be lying in a way, to the public! QUOTE]

So the actual official vodafone leaflet was lying too ?

Firegaurd wrote: »
    So the actual official vodafone leaflet was lying too ?

He wouldn't give me one when I asked him for some form of detail in print to back up his claims.

I genuinely looking for a better broadband service but these guys with their lies, are doing no favours to their possible customers - only to themselves if they can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Being rude to guy trying to scrape a living on commission doing a thankless job?

My hero.

Or, another way of looking at it - not being taken for a ride by a tramp at the door lying through his teeth to get his rat hands on other people's money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Biggins what did you catch him out on? I know you said the rates and all that. But was he lying about the contract you had with whoever it is (as in you said I'm on a X plan with Y and he started going on with a speech about how they're inferior and you're not really getting what you think etc etc etc)?

BTW, were you actually considering running for an election? (I'm just curious if you were actually considering it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Or, another way of looking at it - not being taken for a ride by a tramp at the door lying through his teeth to get his rat hands on other people's money.

A tramp with rat hands? Does he also train the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

A tramp with rat hands? Does he also train the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles?

Splinter you lying fuck.

Teenage Mutant Lying Bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

He wouldn't give me one when I asked him for some form of detail in print to back up his claims.

I genuinely looking for a better broadband service but these guys with their lies, are doing no favours to their possible customers - only to themselves if they can get away with it.

What provider are you with now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

lucy1 wrote: »
    I hope your kids never have to do it. My son did and I admired him for doing it
    i went out campaigning for someone in the general election a this last time, it was the first time i ever did it, and it sure is my last time doing it, i got dogs sent after me, at one stage there was a jerman shephard and something like a rothweiler sent out to meet me, needles to say i needed to be slim, quick of foot and thought, and thank god the door of the car was not locked, as i did not know if i would reach the car before the dogs got a bite out of me ars, i could even hear my heart beating as well as feel it pounding in my chest, i would hate to be a sales rep,
    but i also beleive that if people have to go round door to door trying to sell something means that there is not a big customer base for it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know cases of Vodafone ripping people off on roaming charges and then when the customer sent a link to a section of their site that disputed the charges the page disappeared shortly afterwards. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Samich wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I have a long driveway" thread. ;)

Well, you know what they say: long driveway... long driveway.

:pac:

Biggins what did you catch him out on? I know you said the rates and all that. But was he lying about the contract you had with whoever it is (as in you said I'm on a X plan with Y and he started going on with a speech about how they're inferior and you're not really getting what you think etc etc etc)?

I'm with Wimax (and the problems I've had with them AND Vodafone previously, you can read HERE)

He actually tried to tell me that the tech details that was/is in my contract and that which is now being provided to me even as I use the net, didn't exist nor ever did!
    I found that part amazing alone!

I'm with Wimax (and the problems I've had with them AND Vodafone previously, you can read HERE)

He actually tried to tell me that the tech details that was/is in my contract and that which is now being provided to me even as I use the net, didn't exist nor ever did!
    I found that part amazing alone!

In fairness he was probably given some outdated junk or just told "lie your heart out".

I have a small request, install a video camera with sound above the front door, just in case it happens again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Aren't you the big man

Yes, he's BIGgins.

• Advertisement

gara wrote: »
    Is your wife's name Hyacinth?

Could be - I know better sometimes than to oppose her on some subjects! :o
    uriah wrote: »
    Yes, he's BIGgins.

LOL Very good! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Whats with the hostility towards Biggins on this?

I swear, if this was a thread where he wrote about how he'd been caught out by this sales rep and was now locked into a contract, where upon he had to pay more for inferior broadband, as a direct result of the lies told to him there would be uproar in here.

We'd all be calling the rep a cunt and a prick of the highest order and claiming that if we had the opportunity we'd tell him where to go before he ever showed the contract.

But because Biggins knew his stuff and managed to avoid this situation by throwing facts back in the face of this little shit, who thinks he can walk up to someone's home and try and scam them out of money, then suddenly its sympathy all around for the sales rep and boo Biggins the bully.

Fuck that, the rep was being a conman and deserved to be dealt with as such.

In fairness he was probably given some outdated junk or just told "lie your heart out".

I have a small request, install a video camera with sound above the front door, just in case it happens again :D

I already have. Two of them (besides electronic sensor lights and other items).

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6067/p1170450medium.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I just had to run a Vodafone sales rep from my front door.
    A cocky twenty year old tried to sell me his company phone/broadband service with every lie possible (besides also promising the sun, moon and stars, so to speak.
    Long story short, genuinely knowing my stuff, I ripped him to shreds and ran him.
    He couldn't get off the long driveway quick enough!

Anyone else ever catch a sales rep out with their lies?

Yes. The sales rep from *** who rang me saying how she could save me money on my mobile bill, stated I was quite happy with my plan but let her do her sales pitch anyway. First looked at minutes, and how she could save me money there, told her my actual usage, she looked it up and agreed I was within my allowance. same for my txts, and international calls. At the end of the call she had to admit that she could not save me any money.

Good tip, know your usage, as allot of these reps might not know it and are just looking for the sale.

The people who come around don't work for the Vodafone or Sky etc as far as I know. All they care about is their commission.

They'll lie to your face about the service they're peddling because they'll be long gone if you later try to cancel based on their misleading description. I caught one guy insisting to me that we'll have no TV after the terrestrial changeover even though we have UPC :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Smug vibes off that OP.

Smug vibes off that OP.

You can be damn sure they would be smug when they get another 'victim' to sign up to their pitched lies.
    My apologies if I appear smug for catching one of them out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Smug vibes off that OP.

Is there though? People are very sensitive in this thread altogether. I think he said long driveway as an exaggeration to build a picture in people's minds of the sales guy scurrying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

You can be damn sure they would be smug when they get another 'victim' to sign up to their pitched lies.

So, the driveway?

Is it tarmac or paved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

was at my elderly mothers house a few weeks back, when a chap called saying he was from Bord Gais and that he could lower her bill, he asked to see the bill, was in the sitting room listening. She asked me to take over. When I approached the door he backed away as to leave.

I quizzed him on how he could lower the bill, he then said he was from Airtricity and that we could switch. I pointed out that i had heard him saying he was from Bord Gais. I asked to see his ID, but he said he'd left it in the car.

I called the Guards immediately told them the story, they said they'd look into it.

He was either:

looking to case the house on my unsuspecting elderly mother.
    or
    was from airtricity and was going to switch my mother over without her knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Holocene

Sea Filly wrote: »
    People are very sensitive in this thread altogether. I think he said long driveway as an exaggeration to build a picture in people's minds of the sales guy scurrying off.

I personally always enjoy hearing about the tables being turned on manipulative tricksters, as I've seen more than one elderly family member conned out of significant sums in the past by jive-talking salespeople.

Fair play, Biggins!

I know you're a bit of a tech wiz but do remind me never to go near your home for fear of being shot as a burglar!

Did you happen to record the convo at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Smug vibes off that OP.

I'd prefer smug vibes from the OP than the inexplicable defence of the rogue salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

pricks.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    was at my elderly mothers house a few weeks back, when a chap called saying he was from Bord Gais and that he could lower her bill, he asked to see the bill, was in the sitting room listening. She asked me to take over. When I approached the door he backed away as to leave.

I quizzed him on how he could lower the bill, he then said he was from Airtricity and that we could switch. I pointed out that i had heard him saying he was from Bord Gais. I asked to see his ID, but he said he'd left it in the car.

I called the Guards immediately told them the story, they said they'd look into it.

He was neither:

looking to case the house on my unsuspecting elderly mother.
    or
    was from airtricity and was going to switch my mother over without her knowledge.

Possible I.D. fraud theft later also?

• Advertisement

Holocene wrote: »
    ...I've seen more than one elderly family member conned out of significant sums in the past by jive-talking salespeople.

Sadly as have I, including my own once aged mother before I could help. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Catching them out is easy though. If it's a commission job they're 90% of the time lying through their teeth. I find it as rewarding to say no thanks and let them off on their way.

Bloody hell !!! Colditz! good man Biggy, no one will be robing you anytime soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Sorry, he lied about the actual package I'm signed up to for broadband/phone services.
    Lied about monthly usage I'm getting, the cost, the speed of mine and his line service.
    He lied about their guaranteed ability to provide a minimum speed and more!

(I'm qualified also an I.T. engineer, programmer, I.T. teacher and graphic artist so I knew a little about them funny things that have CPU's in them and a little about the interwebby stuff) )

you're also qualified at wasting your employers time by posting 30k posts on web forums.

you're also qualified at wasting your employers time by posting 30k posts on web forums.

I am the aged, grey haired, fart of a boss. :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement