Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cocky Lying Sales Rep Caught Out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

you're also qualified at wasting your employers time by posting 30k posts on web forums.

On Friday nights, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

I've had two visits from Mormons at two different addresses, used the same line both times:

"I'll consider joining the church of Mormon if you consider that Mormonism is a cult"

They didn't like that Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i am working in EST at the moment .. my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Biggins wrote: »
    I am the aged, grey haired, fart of a boss. :o
    i say, good on you, i hate these big pitches which are all lies, it may make them think they cannot fool all of the people all of the time,
    i had something like that happen me also about a month ago, and i told him that what i had was better and i had no need to change,
    also i dont take doorstep sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

i am working in EST at the moment .. my bad

No worries. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Ghandee wrote: »
    Are you basically saying that a liar (first and foremost) should be entertained on my/yours/the OP's front door?

If they're telling bare faced lies, which could result in me being locked into a long, expensive, non negotiable contract, where I do not get the package/goods I was only told half truths about, the 'poor commission based sales rep' line goes out the fcuking driveway along with his lying ass.

These guys generally don't even know what they are selling because they are basically repeating what they are told. These guys don't work for Vodafone or Airtricity, they work for outsourced firms who pay sh*t commission and train badly. Your gripe is with the company not the rep, make a complaint to them. They generally hate being at your door as much as you don't want them there. Don't want what they are selling/feel they aren't being truthful? Just politely say 'No thanks' and close the door. Trying to belittle someone by 'ripping them to shreds' for doing a really sh*tty job just makes you look like the c*nt really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Southfork. Now that's a proper long driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

My apologies if I appear smug for catching one of them out!

Dont be, im quite enjoying the idiocy, its the same mentality from pond life that tells me to "Fook of back to England" Hint- Look at user name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭flutered

benwavner wrote: »
    A Jehovahs Witness knocked at my parents door years ago and he was invited in. My father duely showed him a Betterware catalogue "the good book" he called it and tried to get him to buy some stuff.

Poor mother was mortified, father broke his hole laughing and sent him on his way......"God Boy" wasnt happy

afew years ago i told the three who called to me that i was too near the other side to be making any enemys, one of the females started to to giggle, i have not been bothered since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I just had to run a Vodafone sales rep from my front door.
    A cocky twenty year old tried to sell me his company phone/broadband service with every lie possible (besides also promising the sun, moon and stars, so to speak.
    Long story short, genuinely knowing my stuff, I ripped him to shreds and ran him.
    He couldn't get off the long driveway quick enough!

Anyone else ever catch a sales rep out with their lies?

One time I just said, No thanks I'm not interested and closed the door......true story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Separate from the whole right or wrong argument, did this encounter really deserve its own thread? A lying door-to-door salesman is not a new thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The Aussie wrote: »
    Dont be, im quite enjoying the idiocy, its the same mentality from pond life that tells me to "Fook of back to England" Hint- Look at user name...
    I felt it was smug because he it's one of those cases where you catch them out by just not buying their product. They don't take anything to heart when they're obviously lying. I shall retreat to my pond all the same though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ever get them scams on the phone from india? Pretending your comp has a problem? Always play along. Saying I'm doing what they're saying :P

Bonavox wrote: »
    Separate from the whole right or wrong argument, did this encounter really deserve its own thread? A lying door-to-door salesman is not a new thing.
    The original question posed was: Anyone else ever catch a sales rep out with their lies?
    Doom wrote: »
    One time I just said, No thanks I'm not interested and closed the door......true story!
    As have I over many decades, many times to more decent sales reps.
    They were at least for the vast bulk of the time, more honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

No harm in catching out a lying salesman. I sell for a living (not door to door but still) and pride myself on telling the truth. I come across a lot of competitors who lie through their teeth but sooner or later they get caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

(I'm qualified also an I.T. engineer

What's an IT engineer? :P

Annuv wrote: »
    What's an IT engineer? :P

A fancy name for a man playing with his wire(s)! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

It's not a long driveway Biggins, it's just a short carhttp://farm2.staticflickr.com/1325/900395335_936f5ab92b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As previously mentioned a few times, I withdrew when Gerry Adams decided to stand within my constituency.

All the more reason to stand imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'm with Wimax (and the problems I've had with them AND Vodafone previously, you can read HERE)

He actually tried to tell me that the tech details that was/is in my contract and that which is now being provided to me even as I use the net, didn't exist nor ever did!
    I found that part amazing alone!

So basically you're with possibly the worst excuse for broadband(midband) this country has ever seen and you're on here complaining about a salesperson who gave you the chance to get better broadband just because he told a few porkies.

Shoot yourself in the foot much?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

I already have. Two of them (besides electronic sensor lights and other items).

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6067/p1170450medium.jpg

Feck sake, i thought the link was a pic of the rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Let's be honest here, I think this thread is less about lying salespeople and more about people not liking knobbish references to 'long' driveways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

gara wrote: »
    Let's be honest here, I think this thread is less about lying salespeople and more about people not liking knobbish references to 'long' driveways

Since when did a thread title in AH get in the way of a bit of fun?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Good on ya Biggins! I hate people calling to the door to sell me their crap.

A woman called to my door a couple of years ago selling paintings and I pretended to be a child to get her to feck off.

In fairness, I wouldn't have pretended to be a child until she gave me the idea. She asked me at the door if my "Mammy was at home", I was 27 (and also 5' 1"), she said she was selling something and I replied "No, I'm here on my own" and closed the door. :o

spankysue wrote: »
    Good on ya Biggins! I hate people calling to the door to sell me their crap.

A woman called to my door a couple of years ago selling paintings and I pretended to be a child to get her to feck off.

In fairness, I wouldn't have pretended to be a child until she gave me the idea. She asked me at the door "If my mammy was at home", I was 27 (and also 5' 1"), she said she was selling something and I replied "No, I'm here on my own" and closed the door. :o

We get them sometimes too, they pretend they're deaf aswell.

Or maybe they are deaf.

• Advertisement

So basically you're with possibly the worst excuse for broadband (midband) this country has ever seen and you're on here complaining about a salesperson who gave you the chance to get better broadband just because he told a few porkies.

Shoot yourself in the foot much?

Actually if you bother to do your homework or have read previous posts, you would have learned through my exposing their bad service to the media and across websites (some of which I run), they vastly improved their services in my home town, not just erecting another mast to boost their signal strength but also made changes to cut down on attenuation.

I am now receiving a CONSTANT rate of 7.5 to 9mb speed.

...And NO, once again, Vodafone could not now match the service in quality or price.

Sorry, when I pulled the trigger, I missed my foot!

P.S. How could he have given me the chance to get better broadband exactly when if you bothered to check THIS link I previously posted, you would have noticed their service is absolute dire!

...But don't let actual facts come in the way of trying to have a dig based on wrong assumptions!
    I better not pass you my gun, you might shoot yourself in the foot - O' wait... too late already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

...O'...

Oh.

On another note, please tell me you didn't mount a non ip rated domestic indoor socket, outdoors, on your fascia?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I am almost certain this either didn't happen at all, or the OP has greatly exaggerated what happened.

Either way.

Large grains of salt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ah Jesus, have you little else to be worrying about than the ****ing size of chocolate bars?

I seriously doubt, given the website, you are much of programmer or "Graphic Artist", it's horrendous!

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ah Jesus, have you little else to be worrying about than the ****ing size of chocolate bars?
    I seriously doubt, given the website, you are much of programmer or "Graphic Artist", it's horrendous!
    Its a set template by the hosting company.
    Out of my hands.
    There's a big difference between programming and the graphic arts side of the I.T. sector.
    ...But takes a bit of knowledge to know that and then separate the two with an understanding that with set templates, there is further restrictions on that you can do within a hosting service and the facilities it provides.
    Seriously, is this the best one can have a moan about, thats also unnecessary off topic just so one can get a dig in?
    Cheers!
    On another note, please tell me you didn't mount a non ip rated domestic indoor socket, outdoors, on your fascia?
    Its all above board, put in and tested by a professional (not not in this case) whom had 50+ years in the business.
    The place is wired/secured safely front, sides and back.

Its a set template by the hosting company.
    Out of my hands.

I freely admit I've never made a web page-a friend tried to teach me html years ago, but that hardly counts.

But it's hardly compulsory for hosted webpages with this provider to use clip art images, counters with funny numbers that people on geocities used to have (never starting at zero!), cropped stock images that repeat themselves across the page, or badly shopped images related to the title at the top of the page?

Regarding your outdoor socket-I'd suggest fitting a shielded one, as used in gardens, or feeding whatever you are using there from a socket mounted within the attic. What's there at the moment is less engineer and more Heath Robinson.
    Its all above board, put in and tested by a professional (not not in this case) whom had 50+ years in the business.
    The place is wired/secured safely front, sides and back.

No, it isn't above board. See above. You could use one of these, but they'd be too bulky for above a front door, and may not close properly. Socket in the attic is the safest and neatest way.

I freely admit I've never made a web page-a friend tried to teach me html years ago, but that hardly counts.

But it's hardly compulsory for hosted webpages with this provider to use clip art images, counters with funny numbers that people on geocities used to have (never starting at zero!), cropped stock images that repeat themselves across the page, or badly shopped images related to the title at the top of the page?

Regarding your outdoor socket-I'd suggest fitting a shielded one, as used in gardens, or feeding whatever you are using there from a socket mounted within the attic. What's there at the moment is less engineer and more Heath Robinson.
    Seen as we seem still wish to take this thread further off topic, my time is limited so playing around with templates is not on the list of my priorities.
    I have other sites to run also. Especially one thats bringing revenue and not personal ones.
    Its a basic site. End of story.

You can't tell much from a picture but the set-up again, is quite secure and tested regularly I should add. :)

Why has this gone to talking about web pages? :L

Samich wrote: »
    Why has this gone to talking about web pages? :L

Good question!
    Anything to get a dig in I suppose!

Ah stop!

I'm not talking about the function of the cameras, I'm talking about a domestic socket. Outdoors. Unless you have access to PAT testing equipment, I doubt you are referring to that.

Incidentally, you're the one who brought up your political efforts, your status as a "graphic artist" etc., as well as your cctv. You can hardly chastise us for responding.

I'm serious about the socket though, you go dicking about with that on a wet day and see where it gets you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Actually if you bother to do your homework or have read previous posts, you would have learned through my exposing their bad service to the media and across websites (some of which I run), they vastly improved their services in my home town, not just erecting another mast to boost their signal strength but also made changes to cut down on attenuation.

I am now receiving a CONSTANT rate of 7.5 to 9mb speed.

...And NO, once again, Vodafone could not now match the service in quality or price.

Sorry, when I pulled the trigger, I missed my foot!

P.S. How could he have given me the chance to get better broadband exactly when if you bothered to check THIS link I previously posted, you would have noticed their service is absolute dire!

...But don't let actual facts come in the way of trying to have a dig!

It was no dig, it was an assumption based on the majority of people's views on WiMAX

You could use one of these, but they'd be too bulky for above a front door, and may not close properly. Socket in the attic is the safest and neatest way.

One of the above could have been used but there are additionally for side walls that is more prone to environmental conditions also.
    The overall equipment that is used is safe (besides also sheltered) and is appropriate for a number of jobs its there for.
    I've declined to say details about other factors for security reasons. I hope you will appreciate that.

It was no dig, it was an assumption based on the majority of people's views on WiMAX

...And most times they would be right to be honest (and I have given a link to opinions on such services on that one site) but if one checked the case with myself before jumping too early to conclusion that just don't apply to everyone, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Ah stop!

I'm not talking about the function of the cameras, I'm talking about a domestic socket. Outdoors. Unless you have access to PAT testing equipment, I doubt you are referring to that.

Incidentally, you're the one who brought up your political efforts, your status as a "graphic artist" etc., as well as your cctv. You can hardly chastise us for responding.

I'm serious about the socket though, you go dicking about with that on a wet day and see where it gets you.

Actually, if you read back - it was NOT I that brought up my political efforts, I responded - but don't let that truth alone stop your off target posting.
    O' and I didn't bring up the topic of CCTV - I did RESPOND to someone else too who brought that up.

More inaccuracies! How about you go and "Ah Stop!"

...And by the way, I have NO need to go you go "dicking about with that on a wet day" - and were we live for the last few years - have had very many.

...We, my family are still here safe, dry and its still working perfect!
    But again don't let the actual facts come in the way of having another dig!

• Advertisement

One of the above could have been used but there are additionally for side walls that is more prone to environmental conditions also.
    The overall equipment that is used is safe (besides also sheltered) and is appropriate for a number of jobs its there for.
    I've declined to say details about other factors for security reasons. I hope you will appreciate that.

Sure you know better. Off with you so!

I'm not sure where the overly dramatic talk of "security" comes in. You have a budget wireless ir camera (two, I think you said actually), and probably a couple of PIR halogens as well. Like me, you probably have a house alarm also. Where's the sensitivity there?

edit: And I think you know by now that people don't have the luxury of bringing up points and running away from them, not on online fora anyway. If you discuss it, so will others.

Sure you know better. Off with you so!

I'm not sure where the overly dramatic talk of "security" comes in. You have a budget wireless ir camera (two, I think you said actually), and probably a couple of PIR halogens as well. Like me, you probably have a house alarm also. Where's the sensitivity there?

Look, this is not rocket science.
    I not going to go into full details of what security I have about my household and property.
    That would be completely stupid!
    edit: And I think you know by now that people don't have the luxury of bringing up points and running away from them, not on online fora anyway. If you discuss it, so will others.
    AGAIN!
    I did NOT bring up a number of points that you said I did - have you got that yet?
    I responded to others wishing to discus them with me!
    Tell me you understand that and know the difference!

Look, this is not rocket science.
    I not going to go into full details of what security I have about my household and property.
    That would be completely stupid!

I didn't ask you to. Are you getting my point at all?

On wimax, two of my friends have it, one has voice calls through it, and the other does a bif of, ahem, downloading.

Both seem happy out fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

O

Listen to Bruce Wayne here. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Biggins, was he far down the driveway when you released the hounds?

IrishAm wrote: »
    Listen to Bruce Wayne here. :pac:

Just a home with a number of very valuable items and a lot of specialised equipment.
    In having such, I wish to also protect my family in case others wish to deprive me of the tools of my livelihood.
    Sorry if that seems to upset people!

Cienciano wrote: »

No, the mother in law was in her own bed, in her own home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Had enough of salesmen round my way.

Now, my instructions are that they are not to be entertained for even a second: "Just tell them to vacate the grounds Gyles" is what I have told the butler.

Cienciano wrote: »

About five feet. Only another three to the road :D

• Advertisement

Just a home with a number of very valuable items and a lot of specialised equipment.
    In having such, I wish to also protect my family in case others wish to deprive me of the tools of my livelihood.
    Sorry if that seems to upset people!

Ah ffs :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement