Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Republic Has the Lowest IQ Levels in Western Europe because...

• 27-07-2012 6:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

...we are the only nation in Western Europe with 100% fluoridated public drinking water supplies. We need to end this 1960's gombeen money-grabbing experiment now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/24/idUS127920+24-Jul-2012+PRN20120724

Frankly, I have come to the conclusion anyone in favour of dumping the scrapings off the inside of industrial smoke stacks into our drinking water is either a lunatic or a denist who knows it does not work and actually destroys teeth to keep their lucrative business model rolling along.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Maybe it's because our schools are still run by the church!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Probably more to do with the inbreeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

All those pointless Irish and religion classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Most places out side of Dublin and Cork are hill billy towns - basically people are inbred and over the course of a few generations they become stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Such vague scaremongering bullshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Most places out side of Dublin and Cork are hill billy towns - basically people are inbred and over the course of a few generations they become stupid.

Oh lord...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Not surprising.

We're the only country in Western Europe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I would like to blame the welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

We do not speak a continental language, unlike our European peers who are one up one us from the age of about four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where's the Irish Republic mentioned in the article, or is my IQ not high enough to be able to find it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Even if it were true that we have the lowest IQ levels in Western Europe, correlation does not equal causation. However, since we don't, your whole post is based on a false premise:

Professor Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster, who has ranked average national IQ scores for the first time.

His research not only reveals significant differences across the continent but within the UK as well.

Professor Lynn has discovered that Scotland and Ireland lag behind England in the intelligence stakes, while the population of London and the South East is top of the domestic league.

The professor has spent 30 years scrutinising thousands of test results from around the world to investigate the role of evolution in IQ and has published his results in a new book.

He concludes that in Europe, adults in Germany and the Netherlands have the highest average IQ at 107, compared with 100 across Britain. The UK is also beaten by Poland (106), Sweden (104), Italy (102), Austria (101) and Switzerland (101).

But Britons are brighter than people in Belgium (99), Spain (98), Hungary (98), Russia (96), Greece (95), France (94), Romania (94), Turkey (90) and Serbia, which finishes bottom with 89.

Adults in England and Wales have an IQ of 100.5, ahead of Ireland and Scotland, both with 97. Residents of London and the South East average 102.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Where's the Irish Republic mentioned in the article, or is my IQ not high enough to be able to find it?
    It's not, nor is there anything which implies fluoride reduces IQ.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Maybe it's because our schools are still run by the church!

More like the unions that don't allow some useless teachers to be sacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

OurLadyOfKnock have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure-grain alcohol ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone bar fools trust IQ ratings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No fluoride in our well!

We country bumpkins is smart

humbert wrote: »
    It's not, nor is there anything which implies fluoride reduces IQ.

Fluoride must be an hallucinogenic in that case, and the OP should stop taking it.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So it's official. We are the big thicko's from the island?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I do disagree with the addition of fluoride to our water, but I'm still a fecking genius :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I read somewhere that outside of Dublin and Cork city the IQ of the average Irish person is maybe 60-70.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    So it's official. We are the big thicko's from the island?

If it's any consolation, it only really affects politicians and bankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

csi vegas wrote: »
    We do not speak a continental language, unlike our European peers who are one up one us from the age of about four.

How are they one up on us by the age of four? We speak one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

TuT IQ is for snobby people who like art and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Bad diet is one of the major factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Orizio wrote: »
    I read somewhere that outside of Dublin and Cork city the IQ of the average Irish person is maybe 60-70.

link to your proof please ...........................
    mind you you could be right , would you be one ? could be posting, sh1te like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

dj jarvis wrote: »
    link to your proof please ...........................
    mind you you could be right , would you be one ? could be posting, sh1te like that

No I'm not a culchie, I go to university ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I read the opposite. Which given that in Dublin most of the 3rd level educated people I meet are culchies, seems to make more sense.

You are not a Culchie because you go to University?

I am beginning to believe the Irish low IQ argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

You'll know, then, that someone with an IQ below 70 is officially "mentally retarded"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Arts degrees don't count.

Professor Richard Lynn of the University of Ulster is a racist, in the proper sense of the word, rather than the modern sense of not being totally in favour of immigration. His studies - which are controversial to say the least - show that sub-Saharhan Africa has an average IQ of about 70, so if you accept that the Irish are dumb Europeans you accept that black people are inferior to whites.

Which makes all y'all racist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:National_IQ_Lynn_Vanhanen_2006_IQ_and_Global_Inequality.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I think the OP could be right, I'm a culchie raised on water from a well on our farm with no fluoride and I've a BSc and a business masters. Mind you I left Australia to come home for the Irish summer so I may need to get the ould IQ checked again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I wouldn't drink Knock holy water, it would kill you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's re-assuring to read that most of Ireland is clinically mentally retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

I don't remember doing an IQ test?

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    TuT IQ is for snobby people who like art and stuff.

Any idiot can like art. Or anything else.

It's re-assuring to read that most of Ireland is clinically mentally retarded.

Now where did you actually read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

JamieKCCO wrote: »
    I don't remember doing an IQ test?

Yeah that is my problem to.

I can remember F/A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Neilos wrote: »
    How are they one up on us by the age of four? We speak one of the most commonly spoken languages in the world.

And so do they! Aswell as their own. English is their second language and believe me they're all the better for it internationally. An Irish national wants to live in Germany - learn German as an adult, a German national wants to live in UK/America - presto! - been speaking the language since primary and it's embarrassing to go somewhere like Turkey on holidays and have the local beach-comber speaks not only Turkish but English, German, French, Italian and Russian, with a bit of Swedish thrown in, need I continue?

What's our second language? We don't even have one, not even Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭lightspeed

im a little confused. Is it not the case that foreign companies invest here in ireland not only for the low corporation tax but also for the high educated work force. If that is the case than how come all the other smarter countries continue to invest in idiots like ourselves?

This whole topic has me scratching my head.

Id like to see an IQ test focusing purely on economics and make it mandatory that every politician in government in western Europe takes it.

• Advertisement

Some counter arguments to Richard Lynn - although he is largely discredited everywhere else anyway.

Northern Irish results are better than the UK.

And

Catholic schools do better than Protestant schools in Northern Ireland.

Not that I believe Lynn anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

So much for the Protestant work ethic then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Now where did you actually read that?
    Orizio wrote:
    Seeing as "Outside of Dublin/Cork City" is most of Ireland and an "IQ" below 70 is seen as the definition of mental retardation it's more or less exactly what he said.

The vast majority of statistics and "studies" people casually mention in conversations end up either being complete works of fiction made up on the spot or more frequently something they read and dressed up to sound more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Ireland fail IQ? That's unpossible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Water fluoridation does not impact the population's IQ. Read some studies!

(Dental student! :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

...we are the only nation in Western Europe with 100% fluoridated public drinking water supplies. We need to end this 1960's gombeen money-grabbing experiment now.

Frankly, I have come to the conclusion anyone in favour of dumping the scrapings off the inside of industrial smoke stacks into our drinking water is either a lunatic or a denist who knows it does not work and actually destroys teeth to keep their lucrative business model rolling along.

Frankly, I've come to conclusion that we need to dump massive pinches of salt into our water supply just for the gobsheens who take richard lynn seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Samich wrote: »
    Not surprising.

We're the only country in Western Europe :P

Iceland is a bit more west

Seeing as "Outside of Dublin/Cork City" is most of Ireland and an "IQ" below 70 is seen as the definition of mental retardation it's more or less exactly what he said.

The vast majority of statistics and "studies" people casually mention in conversations end up either being complete works of fiction made up on the spot or more frequently something they read and dressed up to sound more interesting.

Yeah but that was one troll posting nonsense on a forum, with an obvious agenda. It wasnt even a link to the original links from the racist Lynn who shows Ireland as about 97 - statistically the white average. If we accept white averages, or any of this.

Obviously, Africans are not mentally retarded on average. This is a case of flawed methodology.

Yes, I hate Lynn, and I have read his book.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, so you've linked to an article that states that a study has found that fluoride lowers IQ (and presumably there'll be another one next week saying it raises IQ). Now where's the link to the study that states that Ireland has the lowest IQ in western Europe. If you're going to make sweeping statements like that you need to at least make sure you look credible if you want people to take you seriously. Failing that, the Conspiracy Theories forum is that way
    >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

IQ + x = fucking nothing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement