Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular hip hop opinions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Ghostface Killah is the best rapper of all time, just ahead of Kool G Rap for me

DJ Paul & Juicy J are the most underrated producers of all time

Immortal Technique is a sh!tty rapper, a good lyricist at his best, but his flow and delivery are atrocious

Rick Ross has been making better music than 50 Cent or The Game since 2009 (not sure if this is unpopular, probably on this forum)

Lil Wayne is overhated on this board, Da Drought 3, Dedication 2, Carter 1 and 2 and the Carter 3 sessions are all solid

Wu Tang Forever is the most underrated album of the 90s, in any genre

The 7 Day Theory is 2pac's best album

Follow the Leader is a far superior album to Paid In Full

Electric Circus is one of Common's best releases, and one of the most overlooked albums of the 2000s

Just a few for now :)

I actually agree with you on all except for the Ghost one...Ghost is top 10 for me but #1 is a real push. Glad you put down Ghost though. He's clearly the best rapper from the Wu imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Which song was that? Was it from his Ammunition EP?
    voice of reason its called over coles lost one's, great song not sure what its from.
    Jay Z has had the best career of anyone in rap.
    very true.
    I actually like Relapse, and think Em might have 1 more decent album in him.
    +1
    Carter 3 sessions are all solid
    I never really listened to wayne previous to carter 3 which was released around the time he really blew up. That album alone is the worst album iv ever bought ! i fell for the hype and just couldnt get over how bad he was. Just mumbling random words, i think the hate's well deserved because he makes terrible music bar the odd few like milli.
    J. Cole is hugely talented and should get more appreciation.
    +1 even though the album was a letdown imo, it was too commercial and different to the sound of his mixtapes, a bit like yelawolf who's going at with the label now because they told him to make his debut album more radio/commercial friendly when he wanted to keep his original sound.

this the song jimmy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Best rap song ever made. Ye guys know nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

voice of reason its called over coles lost one's, great song not sure what its from.

Ah yea. That was just a random song that he put out.

He's the best in the business at getting on another artists beat and owning it. No one else comes close imo. Just wish he'd start showing that talent on an album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tupac is one of the fakest n***** of all time, full of hate and cheap beef.
    Lil Wayne is almost universally awful, and I could tolerate him on a total of about 3 songs ever
    Rick Ross is a symbol for everything that is wrong with hip hop, and music on a wider scale (also see Drake & Lil Wayne)
    GZA is one of the most underrated ever
    OutKast - Aquemini is in the top 5 hip hop albums ever
    Chamillionaire - Hip Hop Police is one of my favourite tracks ever
    Kanye West gets too much flack, only album he has done that isn't a classic or close to a classic is 808's
    Notorious B.I.G is the greatest
    Big L is one of the greatest to ever MC and is extremely underrated

weemcd wrote: »

Great song but I much prefer "Ultimate Victory" from that album. That is my favourite song. Sick beat and the deepest and dopest lyrics I've heard in many a year. I don't know too many other rappers who would put that song out.

"Hip Hop Police" is one of the best videos I've seen.

On that note, "Ultimate Victory" is one of the most under-rated albums around. It sold almost nothing and I think many of it's songs are better than "Sound of Revenge". Cham changed from the formula that brought him success on his debut and he paid for it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dr Dre is only average compared to Premo, RZA or Dilla.
    Pete Rock is also superior to Dre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

TheComeUp wrote: »
    I actually agree with you on all except for the Ghost one...Ghost is top 10 for me but #1 is a real push. Glad you put down Ghost though. He's clearly the best rapper from the Wu imo
    I dunno man, I just think Ghost's longevity sets him apart, he's being going strong for 20 years now

His discography, for me, is probably the best of any solo emcee, (even with Bulletproof Wallets, Pretty Toney LP and Fishscale suffering from sample clearance issues) and Supreme Clientelle might be my favourite mic performance ever, then you his work with Rae, his verses on the Wu albums and his guest spots,

It's definitely not a popular opinion, but that's just what I think
    I never really listened to wayne previous to carter 3 which was released around the time he really blew up. That album alone is the worst album iv ever bought ! i fell for the hype and just couldnt get over how bad he was. Just mumbling random words, i think the hate's well deserved because he makes terrible music bar the odd few like milli.

Nah man, I don't mean the retail version of Carter 3, there's a few mixtapes floating around called Carter 3 sessions, which feature leaked tracks that where meant to be on C3, it should have been a great album, seriously!
    I hated Wayne until I heard those

< this was butchered into "Playing with Fire"

....and instead we got crap like Ms. Officer and La La!

weemcd wrote: »
    Tupac is one of the fakest n***** of all time, full of hate and cheap beef.
    Lil Wayne is almost universally awful, and I could tolerate him on a total of about 3 songs ever
    Rick Ross is a symbol for everything that is wrong with hip hop, and music on a wider scale (also see Drake & Lil Wayne)
    GZA is one of the most underrated ever
    OutKast - Aquemini is in the top 5 hip hop albums ever
    Kanye West gets too much flack, only album he has done that isn't a classic or close to a classic is 808's
    Notorious B.I.G is the greatest
    Big L is one of the greatest to ever MC and is extremely underrated

I agree with alot of this but can't agree with some stuff. I hope you don't mind me going on a little?!

GZA is anything but underrated. C'mon now. Slept on by the public who haven't delved into the genre sure but anyone who has heard of him generally overrates him terribly. Slept on and underrated are different things. I like GZA alot and he has 3 superb solo albums but he definitely gets his praise from people who've heard his stuff.

In regards to Aquemini - Yes!!!! It's in my top 5 but normally it is held highly. But yes great one :) that album is too good

Personally Biggie wouldn't make my top 20 and although the GOAT is subjective I find it very hard how Biggie could be considered the best ever especially if someone actually has delved into rap somewhat below the surface. Two albums man? Not even a guy like Percee P, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus or Kool G Rap who are technically ridiculous could make it that high on a list nevermind Biggie who relied on his attractive flow and way with words. Sure he was a great storyteller too but we just didn't have the guy around long enough to be considered the best ever or even close. If you took Nas out of the frame after Illmatic and It Was Written you could possibly make a case for top 10-15 but not even Nas who is/was ahead of BIG technically (this should be a given) could be the GOAT if you're being any way neutral.

And may I ask you or anyone what is the big appeal with Big L? People say punchlines but there are so many better than him at it. Vakill, Chino XL, Celph Titled are just three who are definitely superior in that department. And it was really his only trick. He's one borderline classic and one other good album. Regardless there have been alot of better 'MC's' than him. I do like his storytelling but he didn't use it enough extensively and I think people would respect him more for that. But honestly Big L was dope but nothing totally amazing. Everything he did, there have been others who have done it better. And underrated? Man I think Big L is probably the most overrated rapper by people besides the obvious picks (Big, Em, Pac, Jay, Nas). I'm not trying to be too critical here but that stuff baffles me at times.

But you've got some good points there. I wouldn't go that extreme with 2pac but I definitely agree to an extinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I find it very hard how Biggie could be considered the best ever especially if someone actually has delved into rap somewhat below the surface. Two albums man? Not even a guy like Percee P, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus or Kool G Rap who are technically ridiculous could make it that high on a list nevermind Biggie who relied on his attractive flow and way with words. Sure he was a great storyteller too but we just didn't have the guy around long enough to be considered the best ever or even close. If you took Nas out of the frame after Illmatic and It Was Written you could possibly make a case for top 10-15 but not even Nas who is/was ahead of BIG technically (this should be a given) could be the GOAT if you're being any way neutral.

Exactly, I get why NY rappers rate him highly but I don't see how others do. They are usually not 2pac fans which explains some of it but still it is odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

GZA is anything but underrated. C'mon now. Slept on by the public who haven't delved into the genre sure but anyone who has heard of him generally overrates him terribly. Slept on and underrated are different things. I like GZA alot and he has 3 superb solo albums but he definitely gets his praise from people who've heard his stuff.

^ for this reason, I had heard of basically all the Wu tang members before I had ever listened to them (I'm talking back in the day when I would have been 13 here, not a clue about hip hop in the slightest, him not featuring on Gravel Pit wouldn't have helped with my exposure) but never heard of GZA, every Wu track he was on he would mesmerise me, then I banged Liquid Swords and had my head blown, in my own circle I would frequently recommend GZA but few would ever take note, I never hear him discussed as he should be, as a great, but I'm probably not aware of his standing, my own circle of friends who listen to hip hop probably don't help to this extent either tbh
    Personally Biggie wouldn't make my top 20 and although the GOAT is subjective I find it very hard how Biggie could be considered the best ever especially if someone actually has delved into rap somewhat below the surface. Two albums man? Not even a guy like Percee P, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus or Kool G Rap who are technically ridiculous could make it that high on a list nevermind Biggie who relied on his attractive flow and way with words. Sure he was a great storyteller too but we just didn't have the guy around long enough to be considered the best ever or even close. If you took Nas out of the frame after Illmatic and It Was Written you could possibly make a case for top 10-15 but not even Nas who is/was ahead of BIG technically (this should be a given) could be the GOAT if you're being any way neutral.

As for B.I.G, I would find it hard to explain, all my own personal preference. Persona alone for me, if I had to bang a hip hop tune at a party to get everyone up smoking I would put on Biggie, all my friends know this. He is just my favourite, you don't have to agree, these opinions wouldn't be controversial if everyone did ;)
    And may I ask you or anyone what is the big appeal with Big L? People say punchlines but there are so many better than him at it. Vakill, Chino XL, Celph Titled are just three who are definitely superior in that department. And it was really his only trick. He's one borderline classic and one other good album. Regardless there have been alot of better 'MC's' than him. I do like his storytelling but he didn't use it enough extensively and I think people would respect him more for that. But honestly Big L was dope but nothing totally amazing. Everything he did, there have been others who have done it better. And underrated? Man I think Big L is probably the most overrated rapper by people besides the obvious picks (Big, Em, Pac, Jay, Nas). I'm not trying to be too critical here but that stuff baffles me at times.

As for Big L, I slept on him completely for years. He sounded very fresh to me, held the skills I admire most in rappers, sick wordplay, unbelievable flow, hummour and the kind of style that I would imagine made him a great battle rapper, every time I listen to L I think he would have given anyone a tough rap battle on his day, few radio freestyles (don't start on freestyles, I know they're largely rehearsed) of him I downloaded are absolutely sick, as if he could go for hours without losing his breath, losing time or fúcking up his lyrics.

I am no scholar of the game btw, I'm still picking through hip hop and finding what I like and what I don't like, there is a long way to go and artists I haven't even touched on yet. I like what I like.

My personal list would probably go something like:
    1) B.I
    2) Dead heat between Nas & Jay Z
    3) The loser of Nas & Jay Z
    4)Andre 3000
    5) GZA or Big L???

Good post btw, esp the point about sleeping on someone and saying they are underrated being too different things.

Few more opinions to add:
    Mike Skinner has made some of my favourite hip hop ever.
    KRS One annoys me and I would struggle to listen to him
    Game made an absolute classic in documentary and has gotten continually worse since then, he is now unable to fill a track without a weak guest feature, he also starts pointless beef too much for me to respect him anymore

Nah man, I don't mean the retail version of Carter 3, there's a few mixtapes floating around called Carter 3 sessions, which feature leaked tracks that where meant to be on C3, it should have been a great album, seriously!
    I hated Wayne until I heard those

i gave those tracks a listen, trouble aint bad the rest i find unbearable. His accent has a lot to do with it and his constant mumbling. These days i really hate him though, that song he has with big sean atm is so bad , he went from pretending to be a gangsta to a hip-ster running around with a skateboard looking like a fu*king rainbow with some of the stuff he'd be wearing.

i know im coming on strong but i really do hate him & his click for this kind of rubbish, this isnt hip hop. like i said from a wannabe gangsta to this, he's just as commercial as they come.

few more things to get of the shoulder

-dj kahled is 100 % talent-less, really hasn't got an ounce and along with niki minaj he arguably has the most annoying voice in hip hop with that we da best rubbish.
    - sha money xl is heavily heavily slept on, great producer.
    - Wu tang are the greatest group to ever grace hip hop.
    - Black hippy are the best hip hop group in years, pure talent.
    - G unit could of went down as a great group if they never split.
    - kendrick lamar has a chance to be crowned the best rapper alive if he gets this debut right
    - big krit's debut was a letdown so was coles, yela's etc all deemed the future through their class mixtapes, hope lamar doesn't follow suit.
    -biggie was and is the punch line king.
    -kanye west is an idiot who makes good music.
    -dr dre is over rated compared to other producers.
    -bishop lamont is under rated and should of been given a fair go at aftermath.
    - power of the dollar is slept on and is better than all of 50s albums.
    - gangsta rap needs DMX.
    - Missy elliot is under rated as far as female mc's go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

few more things to get of the shoulder

-dj kahled is 100 % talent-less, really hasn't got an ounce and along with niki minaj he arguably has the most annoying voice in hip hop with that we da best rubbish.
    - sha money xl is heavily heavily slept on, great producer.
    - Wu tang are the greatest group to ever grace hip hop.
    - Black hippy are the best hip hop group in years, pure talent.
    - G unit could of went down as a great group if they never split.
    - kendrick lamar has a chance to be crowned the best rapper alive if he gets this debut right
    - big krit's debut was a letdown so was coles, yela's etc all deemed the future through their class mixtapes, hope lamar doesn't follow suit.
    -biggie was and is the punch line king.
    -kanye west is an idiot who makes good music.
    -dr dre is over rated compared to other producers.
    -bishop lamont is under rated and should of been given a fair go at aftermath.
    - power of the dollar is slept on and is better than all of 50s albums.
    - gangsta rap needs DMX.
    - Missy elliot is under rated as far as female mc's go.
    I think i agree with everything here apart from your last 4 and thats because i dont know enough on them to have an opinion.
    Black hippy are a great group.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've got loads

- 2Pac is a fairly average rapper technically. Still love his music, but an average MC, the same delivery and flow on almost every song. One of his best verses is on I Get Around where he changes his delivery and rhyme scheme. I think alot of people will agree that this is one of his best moments, and it's all down to sounding different.

- Ice Cube should stop making music. War & Peace marked his decline. Simple simile rhymes have all I've heard from him since then.

- Big L was amazing. But, in his later verses, you can really tell that he started to struggle with his writing and that he couldn't emulate himself from his debut.

- Rick Ross gets a bad rep for being a C.O. and what he talks about in his music. Everyone makes stuff up.

- Life After Death by Biggie has alot of sh*t songs on it. If a one disk album was made, it would have been dope. 10 Crack Commandments is exceptional, but put side by side with Playa Hater was a f*cking disastrous decision by the executive producer.

- Hip Hop was never dead, people just weren't looking beyond the charts.

- The 'Stoner' movement in hip hop sucks balls. There are clones of clones rolling out now. I have respect for the likes of Curren$y, but the new breed dishing out the lazy rhymes about weed over sub par production pisses me off.

- Timberland was one of the most inventive producers at one point and produced exceptional music.

- Dr Dre has been wack-sauce since The Chronic 2001.

- Eminem has been wack-juice since The Chronic 2001....well a few decent outings, but nothing great.

- Mello Music Group should have everyones support in Hip Hop.

- All members of the Wu by and large talk nonsense. Particularly Ghost and Rae. But I still love them.

- Raekwon has released some dreadful albums.

- Kanye West is a musical genius and perfectionist. It makes me wonder how Watch The Throne ever got released. He is way ahead of music right now.

- There are so many rappers/groups on the 'underground' that will never get heard because they don't have financial backing, and they are 20 bazillion times better artists than what is popular.

- Money can buy you success in music.

- Birdman bought millions of his own label's albums to get record sales, which led to radio play, which led to fame for Lil Wayne.

- Boom_Bap is a sh*t rapper, but is still better then Lil Wayne.

- Tyler, The Creator is actually decent and should reduce his focus to rapping and production. Other members of OF are decent as well, such as Earl, Frank Ocean and Hodgy.

- There are too many rappers clinging on that should just call it a day. Redman springs to mind.

- The Irish artists getting all worked up over the 'Irelands Rapper' show and the negative response should look at the jokes, finger-pointing-and-laughing, mockery and look at it as constructive criticism. At the end of the day, most Irish Hip Hop is pretty bad. It has evolved and there is definitely progression, but some people should just stop.

• Advertisement

Ice Cube should stop making music

Him being my favourite rapper i still agree with this, he had it good, he's getting repetitive and boring now and should stop while he still has his dignity as a musician.
    The 'Stoner' movement in hip hop sucks balls.

*cough* Wiz Khalifa *cough*
    Birdman bought millions of his own label's albums to get record sales, which led to radio play, which led to fame for Lil Wayne.

Is this true or just an opinion? If it's true that is a fúcking pathetic thing to do, what a leach. The man should simply be kept away from hip hop.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Is this true or just an opinion? If it's true that is a fúcking pathetic thing to do, what a leach. The man should simply be kept away from hip hop.

It's something that is rumoured to be true. I personally believe it is, as anything else doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

ok heres one ima just throw it out there,

white rappers are becoming better than black rappers:eek:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've got loads

- Eminem has been wack-juice since The Chronic 2001....well a few decent outings, but nothing great.

Soooo you're pretty much saying The MMLP and The Eminem Show are wack?? C'mon man...The MMLP is a perfect album imo. I know it's your opinion but 90% of people would consider The MMLP his magnum opus and I agree. That album was phenomenal in every way.

Names???

• Advertisement

Soooo you're pretty much saying The MMLP and The Eminem Show are wack?? C'mon man...The MMLP is a perfect album imo. I know it's your opinion but 90% of people would consider The MMLP his magnum opus and I agree. That album was phenomenal in every way.

I prefer SSLP tbh, but MMLP is still a banger. Stan is the highlight really and then the rest of the tracks are just good, not amazing though, SSLP is just brilliant the whole way through imo.

Another opinion of mine: The majority of Eminems best songs have no Dr Dre production on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Andre 3000 is an idiot, a pop singing embarassment clown who makes mawkish rubbish disguised as being innovative by the critical acclaim the music press fellates him with. He belongs in the Black Eyed Peas category. How someone who comes out with rubbish like Prototype and Hey Ya can be critically acclaimed is beyond me. He is great on their first album but the newer rubbish he has made for me is just too much.

If you leave out Bizarre, D12 have put out some top notch stuff.

Young Buck is probably the most underrated lyricist of the 2000s.

The 'well a few decent outings' cover MMLP and Eminem Shows best bits.
    Dont get me wrong, they are OK, more-so MMLP, but for someone with so much talent and ability, it is underused consistently. I still think that he is one of the best technically gifted rappers, he just doesn't use it enough and has over-simplified himself.

Andre 3000 is an idiot, a pop singing embarassment clown who makes mawkish rubbish disguised as being innovative by the critical acclaim the music press fellates him with. He belongs in the Black Eyed Peas category. How someone who comes out with rubbish like Prototype and Hey Ya can be critically acclaimed is beyond me. He is great on their first album but the newer rubbish he has made for me is just too much.

You're the first person I've ever come across that hates Andre, did you know he played every instrument on Hey Ya on his own and produced it and managed to win a grammy with it? What makes you find that rubbish?

I think he's absolutely brilliant, everything he does, even if it's not for everybody, contains a shít load of talent.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

You're the first person I've ever come across that hates Andre, did you know he played every instrument on Hey Ya on his own and produced it and managed to win a grammy with it? What makes you find that rubbish?

I think he's absolutely brilliant, everything he does, even if it's not for everybody, contains a shít load of talent.

The boy band Busted played all their own instruments as well if I recall. Doesnt mean they were the Stone Roses.

Dubstep artist Skrillex won a grammy this year for an album that mostly sounds like doing a nine to five at a car crushing yard. The guy is a retard. Just because you have little musical talent does not prevent you from winning a grammy.

There is a certain section of Southern Hip Hop such as Andre, and that Cee Lo Green/ Gnarls Barkley rubbish that make catchy talentless **** that the buying public lap up in their droves and the critics laud to the high heavens. If some chin stroking Beatles fan claimed that rappers cant write good lyrics compared to Lennon and McCartney, would you play Illmatic to them, or would you play Andre singing that he wants to "stank you very much" and that fat nob Green screaming "Fcuk you, fa fa fcuk you".

Again, it is all on the same level as the Black Eyed Peas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I dont think they are becoming better, i think for a long time there has been white rappers that have been as good if not better and its still the same.
    Names???
    Eminem
    Evidence
    Asher Roth
    Slug
    Aesop Rock
    Yelawolf
    Apathy

The boy band Busted played all their own instruments as well if I recall. Doesnt mean they were the Stone Roses.

Dubstep artist Skrillex won a grammy this year for an album that mostly sounds like doing a nine to five at a car crushing yard. The guy is a retard. Just because you have little musical talent does not prevent you from winning a grammy.

There is a certain section of Southern Hip Hop such as Andre, and that Cee Lo Green/ Gnarls Barkley rubbish that make catchy talentless **** that the buying public lap up in their droves and the critics laud to the high heavens. If some chin stroking Beatles fan claimed that rappers cant write good lyrics compared to Lennon and McCartney, would you play Illmatic to them, or would you play Andre singing that he wants to "stank you very much" and that fat nob Green screaming "Fcuk you, fa fa fcuk you".

No I'd play them B.O.B.

No I'd play them B.O.B.

It is average and all.

Not to mention a bit of pointless politic- king in the title that has little to do with anything.

Their first album is brilliant, how Andre declined to his present rubbish is frankly unprecedented. Even Snoops new stuff is marginally better.

I've got loads

- 2Pac is a fairly average rapper technically. Still love his music, but an average MC, the same delivery and flow on almost every song. One of his best verses is on I Get Around where he changes his delivery and rhyme scheme. I think alot of people will agree that this is one of his best moments, and it's all down to sounding different.

- Ice Cube should stop making music. War & Peace marked his decline. Simple simile rhymes have all I've heard from him since then.

- Big L was amazing. But, in his later verses, you can really tell that he started to struggle with his writing and that he couldn't emulate himself from his debut.

- Rick Ross gets a bad rep for being a C.O. and what he talks about in his music. Everyone makes stuff up.

- Life After Death by Biggie has alot of sh*t songs on it. If a one disk album was made, it would have been dope. 10 Crack Commandments is exceptional, but put side by side with Playa Hater was a f*cking disastrous decision by the executive producer.

- Hip Hop was never dead, people just weren't looking beyond the charts.

- The 'Stoner' movement in hip hop sucks balls. There are clones of clones rolling out now. I have respect for the likes of Curren$y, but the new breed dishing out the lazy rhymes about weed over sub par production pisses me off.

- Timberland was one of the most inventive producers at one point and produced exceptional music.

- Dr Dre has been wack-sauce since The Chronic 2001.

- Mello Music Group should have everyones support in Hip Hop.

- All members of the Wu by and large talk nonsense. Particularly Ghost and Rae. But I still love them.

- Raekwon has released some dreadful albums.

- Kanye West is a musical genius and perfectionist. It makes me wonder how Watch The Throne ever got released. He is way ahead of music right now.

- There are so many rappers/groups on the 'underground' that will never get heard because they don't have financial backing, and they are 20 bazillion times better artists than what is popular.

- Money can buy you success in music.

- Birdman bought millions of his own label's albums to get record sales, which led to radio play, which led to fame for Lil Wayne.

- Boom_Bap is a sh*t rapper, but is still better then Lil Wayne.

- Tyler, The Creator is actually decent and should reduce his focus to rapping and production. Other members of OF are decent as well, such as Earl, Frank Ocean and Hodgy.

- There are too many rappers clinging on that should just call it a day. Redman springs to mind.

- The Irish artists getting all worked up over the 'Irelands Rapper' show and the negative response should look at the jokes, finger-pointing-and-laughing, mockery and look at it as constructive criticism. At the end of the day, most Irish Hip Hop is pretty bad. It has evolved and there is definitely progression, but some people should just stop.

I'd agree with most of this bar a few points. :)

Dre's work on mmlp,get rich, massacre and the documentary were up their with his best!. It's only in recent years he's fell off, the last decent album he was on the end of was the massacre in 05 maybe recovery but then again I know most wouldn't agree with that here as its not that popular.

Everyone lies yes but rick Ross took the pi*s and like you said money can buy you success in music, Ross is made out by the labels to be actually bigger than he is. He's never went platnium and and struggles to go gold , 50 cent put him in the limelight when he beefed with him.

Eminems best album imo mmlp was released after 2001!. MMLP is a certified classic.

Kanyes production skills are genius his raps are basic.

Yes birdman did buy a sh*t load of Wayne's records so In my eyes he never really done a milli out the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

MrKingsley wrote: »

Anywho unpopular opinion eh???
    D-12 world is a quality album and as a group they werent given the credit they deserved(barring the fatty of course) purely becuase they were 'latching' onto eminem

How in gods name did i make that mistake. Should be devil's night. D12 World was done for me after 2/3 spins

: (

Real Life wrote: »
    Eminem
    Evidence
    Asher Roth
    Slug
    Aesop Rock
    Yelawolf
    Apathy

Eminem is wack now. Asher Roth always was. Yelawolf was good but Shady has f*cked him over in terms of showing his talent. Aes, Evidence and Slug are still at it but 3 white rappers?

Plus you never mentioned Qwel, the best white rapper ever imo. Edan, R.A the Rugged Man, Edan, Eyedea (although he's not current anymore unfortunately), Sage Francis are all better than those on your list imo.Even with that the current black rappers murk the white rappers now and always...

Eminem is wack now. Asher Roth always was. Yelawolf was good but Shady has f*cked him over in terms of showing his talent. Aes, Evidence and Slug are still at it but 3 white rappers?

Plus you never mentioned Qwel, the best white rapper ever imo. Edan, R.A the Rugged Man, Edan, Eyedea (although he's not current anymore unfortunately), Sage Francis are all better than those on your list imo.Even with that the current black rappers murk the white rappers now and always...

Edan - so good he gets listed twice :D

I've listened to Qwel for years now without ever seeing an image of him up until about 2 months ago. I was shocked as he was not as I imagined at all....or I never really imagined what he looked like or his colour.

qwel-247381.jpg

Jay Z is overrated and sounds like that guy who goes to remedial English

Edan - so good he gets listed twice :D

I've listened to Qwel for years now without ever seeing an image of him up until about 2 months ago. I was shocked as he was not as I imagined at all....or I never really imagined what he looked like or his colour.

qwel-247381.jpg

Hahaha I didn't even notice that! But Edan is great. Such a funny guy on the mic and his beats and dj skills are insane.

Qwel is a legend. I'm friends with him on facebook so I've known what he looks like for a good while now but yeah he def doesn't look like a rapper thats for sure.

I wish he'd release more punchline heavy stuff ala Typical Cats. I mean his work with Maker are prob my faves but his punches are insane..."couldn't beat me to death if I let you jump first" "don't know if you d*ck or p*ssy like topless infants" - that one is a bit ehhhh but it's really clever.

Could you have picked worse comparisons? Busted are a bunch of gimps and Skrillex is a complete turkey. Andre doesnt just make "catchy talentless ****" every piece of music he is involved in contains a certain amount of talent, for one man to play all the instruments on a song and win a grammy with it is just amazing. If you've ever listened to "the love below" you'd change your mind about him being talentless, he's very unique as a singer and as an MC he's very talented.

You strike me as the type of person who heard, "Roses" and "Hey ya!" and just decided andre was shít, and if that's true you're simply being ignorant.

But hey, this is the unpopular opinion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

brother ali, r.a, edan, aesop, el-p, sage are names that come to mind. only black rapperws that spring to mind that excite me are kendrick and exquire..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Best songs on sslp werent produced by dre.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Best songs on sslp werent produced by dre.

Pretty sure i said that exact thing on another thread ages ago, and something similar on this thread a page back. It's a fact. The Bass Brothers produced all the good tracks on sslp, the bigger tracks were produced by Dre, but of course they're going to be bigger, he always made sure the singles from the album were produced by him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What is this blasphemy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If 2pac was average technically then Biggie for example was a dribbling 3 year old and Eminem just had a varied flow.

I think some people mistake rappers for being great intelligent/technical Mc's for the use of more intellectual words, i.e dictionary rap :D.

If 2pac was average technically then Biggie for example was a dribbling 3 year old and Eminem just had a varied flow.

2Pac essentially rapped a line, and then another while rhyming the last word of each line. Every 5th or 6th line he would raise his tone or get a bit singy songy to convey his emotion.

Biggie had internal rhymes in lines and wasn't afraid to switch tempo.

Eminem can adapt the way he raps to every beat, with complex rhyming structures that resonate throughout a verse. Every time I hear some of his older stuff, I hear new amazing things that I have never noticed before.
    His appearance on Renegade is sensational and should be studied by any aspiring rapper. Pay attention to the 'S' sound in the first verse.
    I think some people mistake rappers for being great intelligent/technical Mc's for the use of more intellectual words, i.e dictionary rap :D.

The Finglas rapper Miscellaneous whatever her name springs to mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Andre 3000 is way overrated.

OutKast had some very good albums, no question. Big Boi is the more talented rapper of the two and individually they are far weaker than the sum of their parts - why Andre gets such hype is beyond me. As an individual rapper he's not even top 20. Nowhere near.

Several groups better than OutKast as well

LUPE wrote: »
    Andre 3000 is way overrated.

OutKast had some very good albums, no question. Big Boi is the more talented rapper of the two and individually they are far weaker than the sum of their parts - why Andre gets such hype is beyond me. As an individual rapper he's not even top 20. Nowhere near.

Several groups better than OutKast as well

Name a few.

• Advertisement

Name a few.

Personally i can only think of 2, and one of them is debatable.
    Wu Tang and ATCQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Personally i can only think of 2, and one of them is debatable.
    Wu Tang and ATCQ.

You could argue that De La Soul may have been better but that like your 2 selections is very debatable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

My own opinion of course

Wu
    ATCQ
    Mobb Deep (4 absolute bangin albums)
    Group Home
    Jurassic 5
    AOTP
    Jedi mind tricks
    Snowgoons
    EPMD
    Geto Boys
    Public enemy
    All are Better and have produced better Albums than anything Outkast have done , Merely my opinion of course

Eminem can adapt the way he raps to every beat, with complex rhyming structures that resonate throughout a verse. Every time I hear some of his older stuff, I hear new amazing things that I have never noticed before.
    His appearance on Renegade is sensational and should be studied by any aspiring rapper. Pay attention to the 'S' sound in the first verse.

This video looks at his first verse on "Lose Yourself". As the video guy says almost every word rhymes with another word. That wasn't by accident. You have to be at the very peak of your creative skills to be able to pull off something like that and turn it into a hit song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Outkast definitely deserve to be alongside the likes of RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, NWA, Jurassic 5, Tribe, Wu Tang, The Roots etc...

Tribe are my favourite but the Roots have been one of the most consistent. 10 albums over nearly 20 years and I like every one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement