Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular hip hop opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If 2pac was average technically then Biggie for example was a dribbling 3 year old and Eminem just had a varied flow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I think some people mistake rappers for being great intelligent/technical Mc's for the use of more intellectual words, i.e dictionary rap :D.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If 2pac was average technically then Biggie for example was a dribbling 3 year old and Eminem just had a varied flow.

2Pac essentially rapped a line, and then another while rhyming the last word of each line. Every 5th or 6th line he would raise his tone or get a bit singy songy to convey his emotion.

Biggie had internal rhymes in lines and wasn't afraid to switch tempo.

Eminem can adapt the way he raps to every beat, with complex rhyming structures that resonate throughout a verse. Every time I hear some of his older stuff, I hear new amazing things that I have never noticed before.
    His appearance on Renegade is sensational and should be studied by any aspiring rapper. Pay attention to the 'S' sound in the first verse.
    I think some people mistake rappers for being great intelligent/technical Mc's for the use of more intellectual words, i.e dictionary rap :D.

The Finglas rapper Miscellaneous whatever her name springs to mind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Andre 3000 is way overrated.

OutKast had some very good albums, no question. Big Boi is the more talented rapper of the two and individually they are far weaker than the sum of their parts - why Andre gets such hype is beyond me. As an individual rapper he's not even top 20. Nowhere near.

Several groups better than OutKast as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

LUPE wrote: »
    Andre 3000 is way overrated.

OutKast had some very good albums, no question. Big Boi is the more talented rapper of the two and individually they are far weaker than the sum of their parts - why Andre gets such hype is beyond me. As an individual rapper he's not even top 20. Nowhere near.

Several groups better than OutKast as well

Name a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Name a few.

Personally i can only think of 2, and one of them is debatable.
    Wu Tang and ATCQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Personally i can only think of 2, and one of them is debatable.
    Wu Tang and ATCQ.

You could argue that De La Soul may have been better but that like your 2 selections is very debatable really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

My own opinion of course

Wu
    ATCQ
    Mobb Deep (4 absolute bangin albums)
    Group Home
    Jurassic 5
    AOTP
    Jedi mind tricks
    Snowgoons
    EPMD
    Geto Boys
    Public enemy
    All are Better and have produced better Albums than anything Outkast have done , Merely my opinion of course

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Eminem can adapt the way he raps to every beat, with complex rhyming structures that resonate throughout a verse. Every time I hear some of his older stuff, I hear new amazing things that I have never noticed before.
    His appearance on Renegade is sensational and should be studied by any aspiring rapper. Pay attention to the 'S' sound in the first verse.

This video looks at his first verse on "Lose Yourself". As the video guy says almost every word rhymes with another word. That wasn't by accident. You have to be at the very peak of your creative skills to be able to pull off something like that and turn it into a hit song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Outkast definitely deserve to be alongside the likes of RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, NWA, Jurassic 5, Tribe, Wu Tang, The Roots etc...

Tribe are my favourite but the Roots have been one of the most consistent. 10 albums over nearly 20 years and I like every one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

DJ Spiral's album has a few good tracks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Biggie had internal rhymes in lines and wasn't afraid to switch tempo.

Rhyming simply using internal rhyme does not make it "technical".

Biggie is one of those rappers who people exaggerate his "technicality" to compensate from his lack of subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

baddebt wrote: »
    My own opinion of course

Wu
    ATCQ
    Group Home
    Jurassic 5
    AOTP
    Jedi mind tricks
    Snowgoons
    EPMD
    Geto Boys
    Public enemy
    All are Better and have produced better Albums than anything Outkast have done , Merely my opinion of course

Group Home? C'mon son. Livin' Proof was a good album (predominatly for Primo) but still can't touch Kasts first three albums. And I'm trying to be as neutral as possible. And I love Mobb Deep but if they got 4 'bangin' albums then Kast have 4 classics. Now you tell me whos being crazy? I'm not even gonna go into the Snowgoons. I'll admit I haven't heard alot and probably shouldn't be commenting but is this actually a serious pick? If you could convince anyone here that Snowgoons are better than Outkast I'll sell every hip hop CD I own for 1 cent each on ebay. I'm liking the mentioning of EPMD and Public Enemy though so big ups for that. EPMD arguably have a better discography than Kast but I still think the skills of 3k and Big and their influence and success is too much. Still though I definitely respect them two choices.

Panacea, Gang Starr and Organized Konfusion are three obvious picks for me. Solid MC's. Great production. Similar strength discographies. Solo careers etc. It's still hard to put them on top of Kast though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Biggies talent is not over exaggerated, he was an excellent MC for example the first line of "unbelievable":

"Live from Bedford Stuyvesant, the livest one"
    That on it's own is a brilliant example of how technical a lyricist he was, who could have thought of a line like that? And there's blatant examples of internal rhyme right there. Compared to big, Pac as a lyricist was basic, but Pac did cover a fairly large amount of topics and had a brilliant story telling ability, that's not to be forgotten. They were 2 different types of rappers with 2 very different styles and they covered different topics between each other.

Fúck it, Treach smokes the 2 of them when it comes to flows and technical ability, he's a freak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

All of these reinforce my opinion that most of the posters here haven't a clue what Hip Hop is.
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    D-12 world is a quality album and as a group they werent given the credit they deserved
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    British hip hop is shít apart from some of Mike Skinners work.
    horsebox09 wrote: »
    ...DJ Paul & Juicy J are the most underrated producers of all time

Immortal Technique is a sh!tty rapper, a good lyricist at his best, but his flow and delivery are atrocious

Lil Wayne is overhated on this board, Da Drought 3, Dedication 2, Carter 1 and 2 and the Carter 3 sessions are all solid

All of these however give me hope.
    baddebt wrote: »
    Wu
    ATCQ
    Group Home
    Jurassic 5
    AOTP
    Jedi mind tricks
    EPMD
    Geto Boys
    Public enemy

ustari wrote: »
    Tupac is extremely overrated as a rapper. He may be a decent poet to some but his rapping is just poor imo.

Lil Wayne is ****e by and large. Can't understand the appeal for him.

Action Bronson deserves more credit, really good rapper, I feel his colour/appearence is holding him back.

The new age of piracy isnt ruining the music industry, it is helping it.

Wu Tang are becoming a parody of themselves.
    weemcd wrote: »
    Big L is one of the greatest to ever MC and is extremely underrated
    2Pac is a fairly average rapper technically.

Hip Hop was never dead, people just weren't looking beyond the charts.

Timberland was one of the most inventive producers at one point and produced exceptional music.

Dr Dre has been wack-sauce since The Chronic 2001.

Mello Music Group should have everyones support in Hip Hop.

All members of the Wu by and large talk nonsense. Particularly Ghost and Rae. But I still love them.

Raekwon has released some dreadful albums.

There are so many rappers/groups on the 'underground' that will never get heard because they don't have financial backing, and they are 20 bazillion times better artists than what is popular.

PS Ustari you still got the Golf?

tossy wrote: »
    All of these reinforce my opinion that most of the posters here haven't a clue what Hip Hop is.

PS Ustari you still got the Golf?

Well aren't we all lucky that you're on hand to tell us what is and what isn't hip hop. Without you around we'd all be lost. Thanks.

Well aren't we all lucky that you're on hand to tell us what is and what isn't hip hop. Without you around we'd all be lost. Thanks.

Anytime Buddy :D maybe my opinions are too unpopular for you :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This is the unpopular hip hop opinions threads, so can you agree to disagree please and respect each others opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

I pretty much agree with most of the points, except I think Outkast's Aquemini deserves as much recognition as the other groups posted.

But, there is nothing worse than that elitist music snob attitude.

This is the unpopular hip hop opinions threads, so can you agree to disagree please and respect each others opinions.

Exactly - and i'm of the opinion most people here don't have a clue what hip hop is/was and can be :D

• Advertisement

Exactly - and i'm of the opinion most people here don't have a clue what hip hop is/was and can be :D

Well what is/was hip hop to you then?

Well what is/was hip hop to you then?

You wouldn't understand :D

@tossy - If you wouldn't mind. What/who are your top 5 MC's, groups and albums of all time??

TheComeUp wrote: »
    @tossy - If you wouldn't mind. What/who are your top 5 MC's, groups and albums of all time??

It's a loaded question though isn't it? And it's all subjective i'e my opinion against yours.Plus im not 15 so i try avoid putting things into top 5 lists lol although i have done it. :D

You wouldn't understand :D

Why do you bother calling everyone else's opinion wrong if you're not going to back it up with something yourself? You're just coming across as an arrogant so-and-so.

It's a loaded question though isn't it? And it's all subjective i'e my opinion against yours.Plus im not 15 so i try avoid putting things into top 5 lists lol although i have done it. :D

I'm well aware it's all subjective, I'm just genuinely interested in what you do like and rate...because you're clearly agreeing and disagreeing with other peoples tastes so I'm just trying to figure out what your taste actually is you know? Haha okay thats fair enough..just give a rough few so?

This is starting to look like an attack on tossy. I would like to avoid that from happening.

You can see in tossy's multi-quote post earlier (about 12 posts back) of some of what is agreed and disagreed with.

This is starting to look like an attack on tossy. I would like to avoid that from happening.

You can see in tossy's multi-quote post earlier (about 12 posts back) of some of what is agreed and disagreed with.

I'm not trying to attack him or anything. I've noticed his last few posts on the forum and they've all been saying that he thinks no one on here knows what hip hop is. I simply asked him what he thinks hip hop is. He doesn't seem to want to answer it so I've nothing further to add really.

Why do you bother calling everyone else's opinion wrong if you're not going to back it up with something yourself? You're just coming across as an arrogant so-and-so.

I'm not calling everyones opinions wrong,i also quoted a heap of people who i thought were talking sense,so that's a bit unfair. I am far from arrogant so apologies if i come across like that,but it is kind of amusing that on a thread about unpopular opinions you are getting upset about opinions :D
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    I'm well aware it's all subjective, I'm just genuinely interested in what you do like and rate...because you're clearly agreeing and disagreeing with other peoples tastes so I'm just trying to figure out what your taste actually is you know? Haha okay thats fair enough..just give a rough few so?

Just sorting out a few A-Z folders here so will throw out a few random names in no order/preference (i'm sure some of you will ridicule lol,and i'm certain a few flaws in my character can be found based on my preferences)

Action Bronson
    Access immortal
    Afu Ra
    ATCQ
    Big L
    BDP
    Buckle Bros
    Cali agents
    Camp lo
    Common
    Crown city Rockers
    Das EFX
    Derek B
    Defari
    Diamond D
    Dilated Peoples
    ED OG
    EPMD
    Evidence
    Gangstarr
    Glasemilla
    Hi Jack
    Hi Tek
    Immortal Technique
    Jay Electronica
    Jay Z
    Jazz Liberatorz
    Jeru
    J Live
    J Zone
    King Gheedorah
    Kool G
    Large Pro
    Living legends
    London posse
    Main source
    Mantra
    Masta Ace
    Nas
    NO ID
    OC
    Oktober
    PUTS
    Pete rock
    Pharcyde
    QNC
    Rasco
    Raze
    Ruste Juxx
    Saukrates
    Scarface
    Swollen members
    Termanology
    The Beatnuts
    The Roots
    Tragedy
    VA Slim
    Visionaries
    Warren G
    Wu tang
    Xzibit
    Zion I

By no means perfect but a small segment of what i'd be into.Also lads it's the internet so you should stop taking it so seriously :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

People who claim they are into 'real' hip hop - opinion is never wrong if it comes from a place of honesty people and we aint 12

2pac is massively overrated

Biggie Smalls was dope and one of the best MC's eva!

It is over for 50 cent - 1 good album and thats it - Schoolboy Q kills him on the latest track

Ditto Game - listen to Red album only to hear Kendrick kill him on The City

No time for Drake / Lil Wayne history will not be kind to these guys

New NAS album is O.K - Nasty is killer track but again people think it is next coming of Jesus

Kanye is a mental but a genius - Watch the Throne is a great album was his last album

Kendrick is gonna be huge

Advertisement