Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Becoming a permanent resident

• 27-07-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi so I'm currently in Canada on my first Visa and was just wondering what needs to be done to apply etc and if it helps I have family in Vancouver or now. I hear about sponsors from work/family but not exactly sure and the landed immigrant status. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Berzerker wrote: »
    Hi so I'm currently in Canada on my first Visa and was just wondering what needs to be done to apply etc and if it helps I have family in Vancouver or now. I hear about sponsors from work/family but not exactly sure and the landed immigrant status. Thanks for any advice.

Yea that's not gonna be a one line answer.... there's people making a living by providing such information.

I'm sure you have already been through the CIC's website?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp?q=sponsorFam#sponsorFam

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Berzerker

Yea I know it's just hard to get my head around it. Will take a good read at the link never seen that so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madmicky

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Yea that's not gonna be a one line answer.... there's people making a living by providing such information.

I'm sure you have already been through the CIC's website?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/index.asp?q=sponsorFam#sponsorFam

Thanks Noel

its say on the website

Note: As of July 1, 2012, CIC will temporarily stop accepting applications for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP). This temporary pause does not apply to those with a qualifying job offer or applying under the PhD stream. We will likely start accepting applications again when the revised FSWP selection criteria take effect. Proposed FSWP changes should come into force in early 2013.

does this mean they are not accepting applications for skilled permanent residents at the moment?

I am a carpenter by trade and thinking about a permamnet visa, not intrested in IEC or sponsorship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Yea that would be my understanding of it. Let me know how ya get on, I'm a Chippy as well. Gonna get a job before I do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭orgaz

Guys,

Although there is a hold on FSW, you can still apply if you have 'arranged employment'.

"Applicants with an offer of arranged employment in Canada or who are pursuing or completed a Canadian PhD program may still apply"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Hi,

Does anyone know how long you need to be in Canada before you can apply for P.R?

I am on my second holiday visa here but I'm hoping not to have to go through work and have them sponsor me later on when this work visa ends.

I'd rather make my own application for Permanent Residency.

Liam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

What province are you in?
    There are changes to the CEC program coming in January to say you need to be in Canada for One year before applying
    Currently it's two years.
    If you want to remain in the country while the application is in you will need to either switch to a visitor visa or work as a TWP meaning the company will have to sponsor you using an LMO

Advertisement