Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

direct debit question

Options
  • 27-07-2012 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

I just got a phone line connected and ordered broadband in a bundle. The engineer who connected the line told me at first that he didn't think I'd be able to get any broadband at all, then said I might be able to get up to 1mb.
    So I've just had a letter looking for direct debit sign-up, and I'm reluctant to do that. What's the situation if I end up getting really bad speeds, and I'm signed up for 12 months? Can I cancel broadband immediately if it doesn't meet a minimum standard, and what is that standard?
    I don't want to hand over my bank details under these uncertainties.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

planetX wrote: »
    I just got a phone line connected and ordered broadband in a bundle. The engineer who connected the line told me at first that he didn't think I'd be able to get any broadband at all, then said I might be able to get up to 1mb.
    So I've just had a letter looking for direct debit sign-up, and I'm reluctant to do that. What's the situation if I end up getting really bad speeds, and I'm signed up for 12 months? Can I cancel broadband immediately if it doesn't meet a minimum standard, and what is that standard?
    I don't want to hand over my bank details under these uncertainties.

Hi planetX,

Thanks for your query.

Can you PM your eircom Account number so I can look into your query.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

would you be able to verify my speeds if I do that?

Don't want to supply account details as i'm hoping to be able to test out the connection before committing to 12 months. It's terrible to ask for a 12 month contract without knowing what I'm getting!
    I'm not hopeful as my line is designated amber, and I'm 6.5 Km from the exchange.
    Can you tell me if there is a minimum speed which eircom would regard as unacceptable, and would release me from the contract.

would you be able to verify my speeds if I do that?

Don't want to supply account details as i'm hoping to be able to test out the connection before committing to 12 months. It's terrible to ask for a 12 month contract without knowing what I'm getting!
    I'm not hopeful as my line is designated amber, and I'm 6.5 Km from the exchange.
    Can you tell me if there is a minimum speed which eircom would regard as unacceptable, and would release me from the contract.

Thanks for post planetX.

I will do my best to advise on your best broadband options. As you're obviously aware there is no guarantee with broadband can be provided with any fixed phoneline.

eircom Phoneline & Broadband Bundles

I do appreciate what you say and won't beat about the bush if broadband is not feasible.

PM with your phone number so I can help you on the Direct Debit. You can also speak with a Broadband Sales Agent on freefone 1800 503303. They can estimate if your phoneline per-qualifies for fixed phoneline broadband and can deal with your direct debit query directly.

Also see our website above for more information on eircom Broadband.

Best Wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

What I want to know is that if I find that the actual speed is say - 100kb - am I going to be charged for 12 months of 'broadband'.

What I want to know is that if I find that the actual speed is say - 100kb - am I going to be charged for 12 months of 'broadband'.

Thanks planetX,

It's difficult to speculate on whether your phoneline will actually qualify for broadband, given the nature of Adsl fixed line broadband, and the distance you are from the exchange. Even with a phoneline that is less than 2.5KM from the exchange there is no guarantee Adsl can be provided on the line. The broadband line in all cases will need to be fully tested by the engineers first.

As explained in your own case, 5KM or more from the exchange, availing of Adsl fixed line broadband is reduced. In cases some providers might even reject broadband applicants considered as amber or extended reach. To be fair, eircom will always try and provide you with the best *rate adaptive broadband service available.
    If your phoneline doesn't qualify for Adsl broadband, then obviously no service can be supplied and your broadband application will be cancelled immediately.

My best advice, in similar situations, is to try to provide a some neighbouring phone numbers. Your neighbours may be availing of broadband already in your area and this will give you a good guide as to what you might expect. We can then test the phoneline(s) to see what capacity they pre-qualify for. Normally this is a good gauge to broadband availability in your location.

There is a cool off period associated with setting up your broadband /phoneline. This is advised when you sign up for this service with eircom.

Let me know if I can advise further. If possible, PM your local area or any general phone number(s) in your location, so I can gauge if broadband is #
    available.

If you would like to speak directly with Broadband Sales,they will be able to check your location for broadband also :

Broadband Sales - 1800 503 303 - freefone

Best wishes,
    Ant

*ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange..

• Advertisement
Advertisement