Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low quality broadband

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have had broadband since around 2005-2006 and have switched between providers a couple of times. I remember there was one period around 2007-2008 when I was happy with it but most of the time it has been appalling. I am currently with Eircom.

Here is a speedtest.net screenshot of when it is at its best.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2086845023.png

F+ is not a good grade.. obviously.

During the day, ping is often in the hundreds and completely unstable making it useless for any type of online gaming. The lowest it can possibly go is around 80-90 which is unacceptable considering the distance.

I have done countless 'tests' for my broadband providers support to try to diagnose the issue, however nothing has ever come of them.

When will I be able to receive good quality broadband? With decent speed, ping and stability. It is worse now than it was in 2006.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

spix wrote: »
    Hi, I have had broadband since around 2005-2006 and have switched between providers a couple of times. I remember there was one period around 2007-2008 when I was happy with it but most of the time it has been appalling. I am currently with Eircom.

Here is a speedtest.net screenshot of when it is at its best.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2086845023.png

F+ is not a good grade.. obviously.

During the day, ping is often in the hundreds and completely unstable making it useless for any type of online gaming. The lowest it can possibly go is around 80-90 which is unacceptable considering the distance.

I have done countless 'tests' for my broadband providers support to try to diagnose the issue, however nothing has ever come of them.

When will I be able to receive good quality broadband? With decent speed, ping and stability. It is worse now than it was in 2006.

Hi Spix,

Thanks for your post.

Can you try the following quick broadband check :

Disconnect everything from the phone line
    : phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Are you connecting wirelessly?
    • If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow Ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related issues which may affect your connection speed.

Further assistance on this check can be found on the eircom Forum (below) :

http://bit.ly/BBcheckList

Once you have tried these suggestions and you are still experiencing the same issue, please contact Broadband Support direct :

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will help if you need to follow this up.

Best Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Hi, I have tried all these before and it makes no difference.

I know that other people in the house using the internet will have a bad effect on ping but even with only my computer connected directly into the modem, it is still the same.

Here is a tracert test to www.eircom.net if it can help diagnose the problem.

2hrzclk.png

I am on the Mooncoin exchange. There was times when this tracert would ping in the 500's or more during most of the day with only my computer connected. It was never stable though and constantly changing.

I don't know if this still occurs though as I don't use the internet much for online gaming anymore due to how much frustration it has caused me in the past. Even 90-100 ping is too high within Ireland considering that is standard for a connection from overseas. When my internet was 'good' for a few months it was a stable 20-30 ping on the same test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

spix wrote: »
    Hi, I have tried all these before and it makes no difference.

I know that other people in the house using the internet will have a bad effect on ping but even with only my computer connected directly into the modem, it is still the same.

Here is a tracert test to www.eircom.net if it can help diagnose the problem.

2hrzclk.png

I am on the Mooncoin exchange. There was times when this tracert would ping in the 500's or more during most of the day with only my computer connected. It was never stable though and constantly changing.

I don't know if this still occurs though as I don't use the internet much for online gaming anymore due to how much frustration it has caused me in the past. Even 90-100 ping is too high within Ireland considering that is standard for a connection from overseas. When my internet was 'good' for a few months it was a stable 20-30 ping on the same test.

Thanks for your reply Spix and for taking the time to do the broadband checks.

As advised, if you're still experiencing a broadband connection issue afterwards, you should call into Broadband Support. It's possible the issue may lie with your broadband setup or modem and these may need to be looked at directly. It is important that all private equipment on the phoneline is temporarily disconnected while your testing your broadband. Likewise, try to test your broadband with just one computer connected over Ethernet cable. If possible all other computer devices on your network should be shut down while testing.

On the other hand, the connection to the exchange and directly to your premises can be checked by eircom engineers. It is best though to check with Broadband Support, so they can advise that you have completed checks first.

Broadband Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Let me know if I can advise you further

Best Regards,
    Ant

Advertisement