Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Galway become so Australian?

Options
  • 27-07-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Not from Galway but lived there afew years ago .I was back during the week .
    Parked at the cinema on headford and walked to Eyre Square . Passed by no less that three different Australian flags .Whats the big connection ?? aussies dont visit Ireland in large numbers Im sure thousands more americans brits french or germans visit Galway .
    In Australia you never see Irish flags there not welcome and mustnt be allowed even at so called Irish pubs . nearly all "Irish" pubs there are owned by aussies trying to cash in on people who like a pub with a Irish sounding name that the aussies probably found when they googled Irish pub names !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wonder was it the leftovers from the Volvo Ocean Race?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Time for a visit to Specsavers, OP.

What you saw were New Zealand flags, leftovers from the Volvo when the Woodquay area was dedicated to the NZ team.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Haha well I was walking fast !!
    and in fairness they are very similar !!!

Thanks for answering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wish they would take down the Portuguese ones around the docks. I've been plagued by groups of people coming in and just saying 'Portugal ?'. I've tried to explain about the Volvo using English, Spanish and as a last resort Irish but they don't have a clue what I'm on about. They just keep coming.
    Bring back Esperanto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

rusheen wrote: »
    In Australia you never see Irish flags there not welcome and mustnt be allowed even at so called Irish pubs . nearly all "Irish" pubs there are owned by aussies trying to cash in on people who like a pub with a Irish sounding name that the aussies probably found when they googled Irish pub names !

What the hell are you ranting and rambling on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wish they would take down the Portuguese ones around the docks. I've been plagued by groups of people coming in and just saying 'Portugal ?'. I've tried to explain about the Volvo using English, Spanish and as a last resort Irish but they don't have a clue what I'm on about. They just keep coming.
    Bring back Esperanto!

There was an international Esperanto conference in Galway a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0717/1224320254254.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I'm sure the thousands of Irish who've f*cked off to Australia will be welcoming enough to the rest of the Irish who end up there for it not to be a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MARTINOZ

In Australia you never see Irish flags there not welcome and mustnt be allowed even at so called Irish pubs .

That's a lie. I have lived in Australia for 12 years and I can guarantee you that Irish flags fly in many places and nobody bats an eyelid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

MARTINOZ wrote: »
    That's a lie. I have lived in Australia for 12 years and I can guarantee you that Irish flags fly in many places and nobody bats an eyelid.

The Australian Embassy in Dublin states that up to 30 percent of the population claim some degree of Irish ancestry, which makes Australia the most 'Irish' continent in the world !

So perhaps we need more Auzzie flags ;)

... up to 30 percent of the population claim some degree of Irish ancestry...

And that's just the ones who admit to it.

More Aussie flags ... nah, ye wouldn't like the Union Jack in the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/fury-over-ireland-should-join-team-gb-call-by-pundit-3195120.html

This type of attitude is why Im so glad the re New Zealand not aussie flags in the most Irish City .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

Irish flags are not allowed??
    WTF??
    There everywhere, every Irish pud has one, loads hanging up around various places in Sydney
    I've been in Aus going on seven years, now in Qld, I've one flying outside my house and loads of people both Irish and Aussie have knocked on our door to just say hi.
    Great convo starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

australian_aboriginal_flag1.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics-2012/irish-news/fury-over-ireland-should-join-team-gb-call-by-pundit-3195120.html

This type of attitude is why Im so glad the re New Zealand not aussie flags in the most Irish City .

In fairness, the finer details of Irish / British history aren't really of interest to many people on the other side of the world - in much the same way that I regularly meet people here who are pretty hazy about the difference between Australia and New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

JustMary wrote: »
    In fairness, the finer details of Irish / British history aren't really of interest to many people on the other side of the world - in much the same way that I regularly meet people here who are pretty hazy about the difference between Australia and New Zealand.

It's nothing to do with the finer points, don't think it's asking too much for people to be able to distinguish between the ROI and GB.

I think most people here can appreciate that NZ and AUS are two completely separate nations easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭skinny90

Not from Galway but lived there afew years ago .I was back during the week .
    Parked at the cinema on headford and walked to Eyre Square . Passed by no less that three different Australian flags .Whats the big connection ?? aussies dont visit Ireland in large numbers Im sure thousands more americans brits french or germans visit Galway .
    consider yourself lucky you didn't get clamped,thers a guy who takes notes of every car coming in and then if your seen leaving he'll clamp ya

el dude wrote: »
    I think most people here can appreciate that NZ and AUS are two completely separate nations easily enough.

Maybe in your social circle they can.

But I can assure you it's not universal, and not just a tiny minority either, who don't know the difference.

Advertisement