Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most extroadinary inter planetary.......plan

• 27-07-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭

Our only hope for survival is to download our brains onto something which can last the thousands of years it will take to get to another habital planet and reasemble ourselves when we get there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

bread butter pudding is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'll get right on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

kneemos wrote: »
    Our only hope for survival is to download our brains onto something which can last the thousands of years it will take to get to another habital planet and reasemble ourselves when we get there.

We will need the carpenters again!

(Fellow oldies will get it!) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Good plan.

How does it work exactly?

Or even vaguely?

Have you thought this through at all OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Have you concocted a plan as to how to achieve this? If so I'm on board Captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

If we do it it will be as a nanobot cloud, not in our crappy fleshy bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Where To wrote: »
    Good plan.

How does it work exactly?

Or even vaguely?

Have you thought this through at all OP?

Yes.I've thought about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Our only hope for survival is to download our brains onto something

*searches for 64mb flash drive*

bleg wrote: »

speak for yourself im an Adonis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DarkKnight444

They hinted at that (or maybe it was blatant) in Prometheus. I used to live in dread or the robot apocalypse but I'm coming around to the idea of sending a robot(s) with DNA and a backup of all human information and knowledge into the depths of the universe. It's more realistic today than sending ourselves millions of light years away. Even with modern technology a robot could probably be sent a huge distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Dennis Quaid will just end up playing God again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

News team..................aaaassssssseeeemmmmmbbbbblllleeeeee!!

I think multiple expeditions will be needed.Don't want to put all our eggs in one basket.Choice of heads would be crucial also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"True, we know of no insect society that has produced a Shakespeare, an Einstein or a Cherynkov, but before you let that go to your head, take the example of the Arachnids, a highly organized, highly evolved insect society. They are relatively stupid by human standards. Workers have an IQ of 12, warriors around 35 , and yet the Arachnids have colonized planets. Over a million years of evolution, Nature has provided the Arachnids with the biological means to hurl their spore into space"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Yeah I liked starship troopers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Not possible

I read an experment conducted with mice before. They were trying to find out what part of the brain was for what or something.
    Anyway they made them remember how to get to food in a maze over a cuple of monts.
    when they could get there consistnly without making a wrong turn they took a bit of each of the mices brains out and no matter what part they took out they could still remember how to get there

I am not sure what conclusion they made. was all complicated language but there is no particular part of the brain that is responisble for anything which if i get what you are trying to suggest whould be required to activly 'download' your brain.

Unless i am coming at this from the wrong angle and you have another idea

Edit: yes this does mean that 'left/right brained' is complete rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Yes.I've thought about it

Phew! Onward and upward, so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

As if midges weren't bad enough :(

Phew! Onward and upward, so!

Do you want me to build the spaceship and send you the plans.It's an idea.

I am quite like my 'fleshy body' as it aloud me to have sex.... and eat. With these robot bodys things you are on about these things will not be possilbe.

go stand in the corner and think about what you are suggesting. Dont come back until you are ready to appoligise for suggesting such a thing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yes I will download my consciousness into the internet, RedTube here I cum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Not possible

I read an experment conducted with mice before. They were trying to find out what part of the brain was for what or something...

I am not sure what conclusion they made. was all complicated language but there is no particular part of the brain that is responisble for anything which if i get what you are trying to suggest whould be required to activly 'download' your brain.

Unless i am coming at this from the wrong angle and you have another idea

Edit: yes this does mean that 'left/right brained' is complete rubbish

I think you should read that experiment again. Localisation of function within the brain is a pretty well established fact as is the left/right brained concept.

You are however correct in your assumption that the OP's suggestion is bumpkis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Ignoring all the jokes....
    the best way possible would be
    1. nanobots that maintain your brain so you don't need to be downloaded for the massive distances
    2. you could attach computers on to your brain that could facilitate sharing the work between the normal brain and your own (you'd also to have a copy of both memories in your artificial parts so that you don't lose them) - as parts of your biological brain shuts down the artificial one would start taking more of the workforce until you're comlpletely digitized = you've now escaped death and can go digitally where you want yay :pac:

now the big problem is bridging the gap of distance - one of the most problematic situations would be dust which traveling at massive speeds thorugh space may cause a serious impact problem - you could build an ice shield of a planet size and use it to sweep up all the impacts in front of the ship- the slower the ship goes the better

but why would you care about living in a specific planet when you're digitized anyway

if we can do the above we would probably capable of producing artificial environments to live in anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I think you should read that experiment again. Localisation of function within the brain is a pretty well established fact as is the left/right brained concept.

But your memories are not, they don't exactly know where or how our memories are stored. Although we can lose our memory in an accident we only lose our ability to recall them. The memories are still somewhere.

For example we know the alphabet but we could never forget the t or the u and they don't know why. Some theories believe the brain records every experience we ever had holographically but they don't understand the mechanism and that is controversal as it can never be proven.

Man may never understand the complete workings of the brain.

If you could digitize your brain could you not send scout ships at massive speeds to various parts of the galaxy and transmit the info when they get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

We have more neurons in our bellies than mice do in their brains (approx 100 million v's 75 million). ;)
    Looks like the OP would have to shove a flash drive up his/her arse to download the lot. :D

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gut-second-brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

id be happy with my conciousness integrated into fallout 3 (with a few extra 'mods', :pac:)..but im not sure if cyber boobies show up pixellated up close.

We have more neurons in our bellies than mice do in their brains (approx 100 million v's 75 million). ;)
    Looks like the OP would have to shove a flash drive up his/her arse to download the lot. :D

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=gut-second-brain

Amazing stuff.

copy and pasted becouse i couldn't be bothered to rewrite
    This myth holds that a right-brain person is generally creative, intuitive, artsy, while a left-brain person is more of a problem-solver, more linear, logical. The myth arose from genuine science, but new imaging technology has shown that the brain is more interdependent than once thought. The myth probably took root in the 1800s, when scientists discovered that an injury to one side of the brain often caused a loss of specific abilities. For example, spatial abilities seemed to reside in the right side of the brain, with language in the left. The myth gained ground in the 1960s, when scientists studied epilepsy patients who had surgery to sever the connection between the two hemispheres. These researchers showed that when they couldn't communicate, the two sides of the brain could be unaware of one another—and even respond differently to stimuli. For example, when one patient was asked what he wanted to do, his left brain responded with "draftsman" but his right brain with "automobile racer."
    But more recently, brain scan technology has revealed that the hemispheres' roles are not quite so cut-and-dried as once thought. The two hemispheres are in fact highly complementary. For example, language processing, once believed to be left- hemisphere-only, is now understood to take place in both hemispheres: the left side processes grammar and pronunciation while the right processes intonation. Similarly, experiments have shown that the right hemisphere does not work in isolation with regard to spatial ability: the right hemisphere seems to deal with a general sense of space, while the left hemisphere deals with objects in specific locations.
    Having said all this is still remains true that the left side of the brain controls the rights side of the body and visa versa.

so yea. while right/left brained were 'well established fact' back when we knew almost nothing the more we learn the more that this 'fact' is dissaproved. like 'we only used 10% of our brain' is complete horse sh1t aswell. Is interesting topic.
    1. nanobots that maintain your brain so you don't need to be downloaded for the massive distances
    First problem is that you have to be 'uploaded' first. How do you propose that we do this when memories are not stored in a particular part of the brain. Like Colmustard said Holographic is a current theory on that would shed some light on the issue but if it turns out to be true then i dont see how it is even remotly possilbe to do upload/download anything.

Linky <-- this goes into the universe as a holographic reality. Is a little mad but makes good points. Explains the theory of holographic memories or whatever before it gets too mad

Also what the hell are these nanobots that people keep talking about?
    2. you could attach computers on to your brain that could facilitate sharing the work between the normal brain and your own (you'd also to have a copy of both memories in your artificial parts so that you don't lose them) - as parts of your biological brain shuts down the artificial one would start taking more of the workforce until you're comlpletely digitized = you've now escaped death and can go digitally where you want yay
    I think that you have gone crazy my friend. How a computer and your brain work are completly different. So how do you attach a computer to your brain and share data between the two in any meaningfull way?
    Again the memories being backed up or whatever. how would this be done bearing in mind what i said above.

Even if this was 100% right and we could do it today if we wanted there is majour moral/spirtual/philosical questions that must be asked.
    Not least is what would you do? you are now in essance a computer with full axcess to everything. you phisical body has died so there is no need to eat and drink and have sex and work. what would you do.
    Actully would it even be possible for you to experience emotion when this 'switch over' happens. I dout it. so whatever you do decided to do you would feel no pleasure from it

I would rather take my chance at death/reincarnation/whatever the **** happens when we die.

• Advertisement

Thought there was some work being done on organic computers. Who knows where that ends up,given time it may even be faster,stronger and smarter than a human brain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apart from mammals most other animals come from eggs and don't need weaning.

This means you can freeze the egg (may have to separate out the nucleus and reconstitute later) , defrost it when the robot ship gets there and keep it warm till it hatches.

So to get intelligence to the stars we could train up birds or an octupus or both.

Humans are a bit difficult unless we come up with some sort of artificial womb. Could it be as simple as having a LOT of frozen blood on a non-recycling system or are there lots of two way interactions across the placenta ?

Given the chances of survival on a 50,000 year journey chances of downloading yourself to a disk and hoping for a successful reboot isn't something I'd like to bet on. Especially since it means you could be cloned which means you are really dead and it's a copy that gets rebooted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thought there was some work being done on organic computers. Who knows where that ends up,given time it may even be faster,stronger and smarter than a human brain.
    But it wouldn't be you.

2020 is when we'll have silicon with the same number of connections as the human brain. Thing is that we won't be able to emulate a brain until we understand how it works and that is a long way off.

But it wouldn't be you.

2020 is when we'll have silicon with the same number of connections as the human brain. Thing is that we won't be able to emulate a brain until we understand how it works and that is a long way off.

Even 10,000 years from now is just a blink in our evolution.

we will have long blown ourself to bits in 10,000 years time :rolleyes:

30,000 years ago we still had our cousins the Neanderthals. And the mammoths and wholly rhinos and all the other critters that survived a million years of ice ages.

3 million years ago North America and South America were joined together. At that stage South America's dominant carnivores were giant birds and marsupials. There were armadillos the size of cars. Giant ground sloths bigger than elephants.

Needless to say the biggest extinction event was the arrival of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

yes, most likely...im guessing ww3 between china and the usa within the next 100 years to get the apocalyptic ball rolling

I'd be more concerned about a meteor strike,a volcanic caldera,a worldwide virus,loss of natural resources or an ice age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Do you want me to build the spaceship and send you the plans.It's an idea.

Yes, I hate it here. I;d give anything to be in space. Seems like bliss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But it wouldn't be you.
    True enough CM, but then again you might argue you're not really you either over time, merely the continuation of memory believing you are/were. Think back to an early memory of when you were say 6. The differences in your body and brain since then are huge, you're essentially a whole new person. Your bone and blood and muscle etc have all been replaced and in your brain cells have died off, connections have been lost and gained, it's even grown a little in size. On the "quantum level" and all that jazz you're an entirely different entity.

Yet for all that you know you are and were the same Capt'n Midnight inside looking out. Or is that all a delusion based on a tenuous memory link from second to second and thought to thought? I suspect if we do get to a point where we can introduce an interface to the brain/mind, so long as we don't do it too quickly* and interrupt this memory continuity/illusion we could transfer whole to another receptacle our individual "me".

I also don't see why it's assumed emotions wouldn't follow. Emotions are just types of thoughts. Nothing "other" or magical about them. Ditto for "gut feelings" where logical thoughts flit about until coming up with something for us to recognise as concrete. I don't see why they won't go along for the ride.

Cool link to the gut nuerons Cú Giobach. Didn't know about that. Funkaay. :) I've long been of the opinion that who we are doesn't magically stop where the brain meets the rest of the body. IMHO our whole body gives rise to "us", from the fingertips to bacteria in your gut. The brain is by far the most important part, the hub of all that, but if we were just a brain in a jar we'd lose a lot of what makes us individuals. This would explain why in some cases(apparently it's not that rare either) people who recieve transplanted organs appear to get vague echoes of the donor coming with them. With some the changes have been quite obvious, even personality changes. IMHO it's because they've been interfaced with another "me" just at a lower level. So fill out that donor card folks, cos I reckon more than just the cells will live on in some way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Wibbs wrote: »
    Cool link to the gut nuerons Cú Giobach. Didn't know about that. Funkaay. :) I've long been of the opinion that who we are doesn't magically stop where the brain meets the rest of the body. IMHO our whole body gives rise to "us", from the fingertips to bacteria in your gut. The brain is by far the most important part, the hub of all that, but if we were just a brain in a jar we'd lose a lot of what makes us individuals. This would explain why in some cases(apparently it's not that rare either) people who recieve transplanted organs appear to get vague echoes of the donor coming with them. With some the changes have been quite obvious, even personality changes. IMHO it's because they've been interfaced with another "me" just at a lower level. So fill out that donor card folks, cos I reckon more than just the cells will live on in some way.
    Thanks Wibbs, indeed the whole question of what makes you you can be quite murky when you look deep into it, the results of experiments I have found absolutely fascinating is that the brain makes a decision on something before (sometimes by up to 6 seconds) we are concious of making the decision, in one by watching a brain scan in real time the experimenter knows before the subject does whether he/she will randomly raise his/her left or right arm.
    It questions whether we actually make decisions based on our logical conscious brain or our subconscious decides the action which we then rationalise with our concious.

• Advertisement

Our past also dictates how we react to the present,based on past experiences and memorys.So it's a bit more than just a vague memory link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Our past also dictates how we react to the present,based on past experiences and memorys.So it's a bit more than just a vague memory link.
    Not really. It's all a memory link. "I burned my hand when I touched a flame yesterday, I remember that, therefore I won't touch a flame today". The interesting bit is the "I". Over the course of a day the mechanism behind the "I" is barely changed, however take that out to the distance between a five year old discovering that Flame = burn and the "same" 80 year old avoiding flames because of that memory. The changes to the mechanism of "I" has changed radically. The physical links between the two states is tenuous enough considering how sure we all are that the "me" of today is the same "me" that had these self aware thoughts when we were 10. Essentially we're a whole new mechanism, but the "I" remains, or the illusion of the "I" remains. My point was that we may be able to transfer the "I" to another mechanism if that continuity/illusion is maintained. To do it we "just" have to figure out what that continuity is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Yes, I hate it here. I;d give anything to be in space. Seems like bliss.

Smoke some!

I'd be more concerned about a meteor strike,a volcanic caldera,a worldwide virus,loss of natural resources or an ice age.
    No need to worry about the ice age thanks to all the CO2 released and deforestation during the last 50 years.

True enough CM, but then again you might argue you're not really you either over time, merely the continuation of memory believing you are/were.
    We are our conciousness. It's like a running program can ask the operating system to move arms and legs but doesn't know how the OS works, and the OS mostly ignores the program and does it's own thing till there is a request.

"Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong"

Beware
    Teleportation is murder !

the brain can survive for over a thousand years in the right host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Congratulations, a copy of your brain has now been saved to the computer. Guns are in the rack to your left you may now dispose off your old hardware.

Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Clearly you have 1000yrs of scientific data to prove this, right Doc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Biggins wrote: »
    We will need the carpenters again!

(Fellow oldies will get it!) :o

Do share!

Or is it classified? ;)
    Not really. It's all a memory link. "I burned my hand when I touched a flame yesterday, I remember that, therefore I won't touch a flame today". The interesting bit is the "I". Over the course of a day the mechanism behind the "I" is barely changed, however take that out to the distance between a five year old discovering that Flame = burn and the "same" 80 year old avoiding flames because of that memory. The changes to the mechanism of "I" has changed radically. The physical links between the two states is tenuous enough considering how sure we all are that the "me" of today is the same "me" that had these self aware thoughts when we were 10. Essentially we're a whole new mechanism, but the "I" remains, or the illusion of the "I" remains. My point was that we may be able to transfer the "I" to another mechanism if that continuity/illusion is maintained. To do it we "just" have to figure out what that continuity is.

That's some serious heavy sh1t there Wibbs! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement