Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hod carriers

• 27-07-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Was Hod carrying ever banned in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say..................What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Lego bricks are fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Not my knowledge though I carried one in england in the mid 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yeah, ages ago!

bestcheck with the diy forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

" An 'od carrier, officer, is a person who carries the cement up the ladder to the bricklayer. And the 'od is what 'ee carries it in. It's got a long handle, and on the top you've got bits of wood set at an angle . . ."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Not banned, we just just it to transport bottles of Guinness instead, crafty we are that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I have no clue and this was nicked from Wikipedia:
    A brick hod is a three-sided box for carrying bricks or other construction materials, often mortar. It bears a long handle and is carried over the shoulder. A hod is usually long enough to accept 4 bricks on their side, however, by arranging the bricks in a chevron fashion, the number of bricks that may be carried is only limited to the weight the labourer can bear and the unwieldiness of that load. Typically 10-12 bricks might be carried.[1][2]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Even I know what a bloody hod is and I've never worked on a building site in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Ficheall wrote: »
    " An 'od carrier, officer, is a person who carries the cement up the ladder to the bricklayer. And the 'od is what 'ee carries it in. It's got a long handle, and on the top you've got bits of wood set at an angle . . ."
    Well we carried bricks in ours, but to eaach his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I would love to see you carry wet cement on your 'od.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hod Carrying
    Steaming Carls
    Flaming Galahs

All illegal now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hod Carrying
    Steaming Carls
    Flaming Galahs

All illegal now I think.

Okay now you've got me.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hod Carrying
    Steaming Carls
    Flaming Galahs

All illegal now I think.

You're watching way to much Aussie soaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

<
    harry potter forum is that way guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

mattjack wrote: »
    I would love to see you carry wet cement on your 'od.

It's from Roald Dahl's "The Hitch-hiker". Decent short story. First place I ever came across mention of a "hod-carrier". There was also Christy's "Your best mate's a spade and he carries a hod..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Not banned, just crap. God invented a teleporter and lo, a hod carrier became as relevant as a chariot polisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

You just took me back twenty years! Loved that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I was a hod-carrier in London during the late 80's and I think it was a great job to have. I was earning £55 a day and the English brickies I worked with were absolutely sound out.

On one particular site in Wimbledon they used these really heavy bricks instead of putting down a concrete foundation for a wall, I brought home one of them and weighed it on the kitchen scales, to my astonishment I found that it was so heavy that 12 of them (a full hod's worth) would weigh 8 stone, myself I weighed 9 stone at the time.

The_Thing wrote: »
    I was a hod-carrier in London during the late 80's and I think it was a great job to have. I was earning £55 a day and the English brickies I worked with were absolutely sound out.

On one particular site in Wimbledon they used these really heavy bricks instead of putting down a concrete foundation for a wall, I brought home one of them and weighed it on the kitchen scales, to my astonishment I found that it was so heavy that 12 of them (a full hod's worth) would weigh 8 stone, myself I weighed 9 stone at the time.

Would it not have been easier to bring the kitchen scales into work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mattjack wrote: »
    Would it not have been easier to bring the kitchen scales into work ?

He brought 1 home every day for years and built the house with the lovely kitchen that housed said weighing scales. :cool:

• Advertisement

The_Thing wrote: »

In the 80's I was paying £50 a day to labourers. Thats €63.50 ish. I now pay €100 a day which is not a bad rate at the moment but after prsi, paye etc it's about €90 ish. The money was better in the 80's.:( When I was paying £50, it was considered very good money to be on. I loved the 80's, there was a fortune to be made in London at the time. A Hod carrier was on better money than most professionals. Brickies were on mad money as well. Even in the boom here, brickies were on €1 a block/brick, at least, some even €1.20 - €1.50 a block/brick laid. For lads throwing down 500 a day upwards, that's proper money..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pottler wrote: »
    Brickies were on mad money as well.
    It was cheaper to get a lad cutting bricks in half lengthwise, put them face down in a mould , backfill with concrete and bolt the resulting slab to the side of a building than it was to lay bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

It was cheaper to get a lad cutting bricks in half lengthwise, put them face down in a mould , backfill with concrete and bolt the resulting slab to the side of a building than it was to lay bricks.

Never saw that being done nor hear of it 'till now.

Did the mould allow for a gap between the bricks so that they could be pointed with mortar in the usual manner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

In the 80's I was paying £50 a day to labourers. Thats €63.50 ish. I now pay €100 a day which is not a bad rate at the moment but after prsi, paye etc it's about €90 ish. The money was better in the 80's.:( When I was paying £50, it was considered very good money to be on. I loved the 80's, there was a fortune to be made in London at the time. A Hod carrier was on better money than most professionals. Brickies were on mad money as well. Even in the boom here, brickies were on €1 a block/brick, at least, some even €1.20 - €1.50 a block/brick laid. For lads throwing down 500 a day upwards, that's proper money..

Who'd be thrown down 500 blocks a day? :eek: Brickies are all primadonnas in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Why do you want to know is it legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

seanoge wrote: »
    Was Hod carrying ever banned in Ireland?
    is this what you have doing for the builder?:D
    ha, ha, you must be new guy on the site...........:pac::pac::pac:
    it you go into the compound you will see a big yellow machine called a teleporter ..........tell your boss not to soo tight with the diesel...:pac:

Sindri wrote: »
    Who'd be thrown down 500 blocks a day? :eek: Brickies are all primadonnas in my experience.
    500 a day! No bother. We still do that - thats actually no biggie. Even on tasty work I have one lad who can lay 6 pallets, 72 blocks to a pallet without breaking a sweat. If I could be bothered roaring a bit at him he'd up it to 600. I've chewed up and spat out more primadonnas than Alex Ferguson at this stage. Actually, chippies are the real primadonnas, they are a royal pain in the hole. I've sacked 3 in the last 3 weeks and another one quit today as "the works too hard":D I was actually going to sack him for being too bleedin slow anyway. Too hard??? How hard does hanging doors at a snails pace get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I remember my ex being sacked off one particular job in London in '87 because he was working too hard. He tended to work through the morning tea break when all his mates were drinking their breakfast. Working didn't go down well with subbies when they were working on day rates. :D

I remember my ex being sacked off one particular job in London in '87 because he was working too hard. He tended to work through the morning tea break when all his mates were drinking their breakfast. Working didn't go down well with subbies when they were working on day rates. :D
    Most of them went bust long ago. We were always b4stards to work - if your not sweating, you're out. If another crew could do it in a week, we'd do it in two days. Not cheaper, same money, maybe dearer, but quicker. We're still going strong. During the boom we were just another crew but as the chaff went bang one by one, people started looking for lads that actually worked and cared if things were done right. Thankfully, we've prospered and are busier than ever. The smart 4rses have headed for Aus.:)TBGTG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Most of them went bust long ago.

Thank feck for that. I remember he used to call his favourite hoddie the Muck Monster. Whatever faults he had my ex was some man to work. This week I've had various trades in doing stuff on the house here and I'm taken aback every day when they go off for an hour for lunch. These guys are self-employed. Lightweights!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭seanoge

Yes, was just wondering if it was legal nowadays, what with Health & Safety.

It's perfectly legal as long as the access and egress meet spec, the loading is less than 25kg on the operative and there is no safer method available to complete the task. In other words, it's not legal unless you can ensure no way is he gonna fall, trip or strain himself. TELEPORTER. The new super-hod.
    Or a BUMPA. Only a clown would even waste his time paying someone to lug bricks or blocks when a machine can do more in a minute than a man could in hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

my best mates a spade and he carries a hod...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Now that brings back memories. . .
    Sign for the GIRO first. . .
    Arrange Squat next. . .
    Then the hod. . .
    Loadsa money in the 70's. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I think now the most that can now be carried now is 50kg (?), the reason cement bags have gotten smaller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement