Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

threatened to be cut off yet no arrears

Options
  • 27-07-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I received a letter threatening me with disconnection because I "owe" €300, I don’t owe anything, that’s a deposit that I'm being threatened over. I've been a customer for 15 years or so and have no arrears on my account; I just would rather pay my bill, on time, in my own time rather than have electric Ireland pull a huge chunk of money from my account when they want to. I also got a threatening phone call saying I owed €500 euros when it was only €200, less than a week after the bill was due. This is disgraceful and has really upset my wife, personally I'd like to see them try and cut me off, I'd contact every media outlet in the country, let’s see them explaining why a couple with three year old has been left in the dark when they've no arrears, but unfortunately it’s not just me this effects. Also the letter says a number of attempts have been made to secure payments, actually there was only one the aforementioned one.
    I'm disgusted, time to switch I think.
    95XOZ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I'd contact every media outlet in the country, let’s see them explaining why a couple with three year old has been left in the dark when they've no arrears,
    95XOZ

Best of luck with that one. The media dont care. I guarantee you. I work for a charity that raised this with the media..The ESB are doing it every day despite the govts promises to prevent it. But your right to put up a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Switch if you like, but all suppliers will look for the deposit bond if you won't go Direct Debit.

You seem to maintain you have no arrears but you do owe for the deposit - which is a condition of connection. You have no case. If you won't pay direct debit then you owe the deposit. The Terms & Conditions are very clear.

BTW: If you pay your account "on time" in your own time, as you put it, then there won't be a "huge chunk of money" to be taken from your account when it's due 14 days after the bill issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

Srameen, somewhat of a shill/apologist for the company are we! Nice to see consumer support on your part there, maybe you should change your nickname to Lord Haw-Haw. I was with the company before deposits were required, making it a condition after the fact does not negate the fact that its unfair and a tactic to force consumers to set up direct debit. By on time I mean that when the following bill arrives there are no arrears, not that I need to explain myself to you. I was raised to believe that if you cant say anything nice, which you obviously cant,then say nothing at all. Then again, that defines a troll doesnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Srameen, somewhat of a shill/apologist for the company are we! Nice to see consumer support on your part there, maybe you should change your nickname to Lord Haw-Haw. I was with the company before deposits were required, making it a condition after the fact does not negate the fact that its unfair and a tactic to force consumers to set up direct debit. By on time I mean that when the following bill arrives there are no arrears, not that I need to explain myself to you. I was raised to believe that if you cant say anything nice, which you obviously cant,then say nothing at all. Then again, that defines a troll doesnt it.

:confused::confused:

I was with you until this op. The guy was trying to be honest and help you ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

callaway92 wrote: »

Me to.

Talk about inviting trouble for yourself!

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »

The first part was fine but he was being a smartass with regards his BTW comment, assumption of facts on his part. Just because something falls under terms and conditions doesnt make it right, electricty like water is a basic human right.
    People need to stop apologising for companies, let them answer the query, thats why I posted it here. People assuming businesses can do no wrong is got us into the mess we're in.

Me to.

Talk about inviting trouble for yourself!

Having my electricty cut off is trouble. I came to make a statement to electric Ireland, its gotten sidetracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

A human right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Try switching with arrears...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

I received a letter threatening me with disconnection because I "owe" €300, I don’t owe anything, that’s a deposit that I'm being threatened over. I've been a customer for 15 years or so and have no arrears on my account; I just would rather pay my bill, on time, in my own time rather than have electric Ireland pull a huge chunk of money from my account when they want to. I also got a threatening phone call saying I owed €500 euros when it was only €200, less than a week after the bill was due. This is disgraceful and has really upset my wife, personally I'd like to see them try and cut me off, I'd contact every media outlet in the country, let’s see them explaining why a couple with three year old has been left in the dark when they've no arrears, but unfortunately it’s not just me this effects. Also the letter says a number of attempts have been made to secure payments, actually there was only one the aforementioned one.
    95XOZ
    Curious why not set up a direct debit? It's so much less hassle and if you think from the company's pov they supply you with as service without knowing if you can pay. Please don't abuse like the last unfortunate

Gmol wrote: »
    95XOZ
    Curious why not set up a direct debit? It's so much less hassle and if you think from the company's pov they supply you with as service without knowing if you can pay. Please don't abuse like the last unfortunate

I should apologise, my response was over the top, just very angry over this. I apologise to the first commenter, I was unnecessarily critical. the thing about direct debit is that it takes all the money in one go, when funds are tight this can be disastrous especially when your bank charges twelve euros when other debits bounce. trying to balance a restricted income means spreading payments over pay cheques. as I said I've no arrears so I'd not consider myself bad customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

.... less than a week after the bill was due...

Bill not paid when due. Isn't that arrears?

Electric Ireland are being very heavy handed with their letters and phone calls the moment you are late paying. That you have a decade or more as a customer is less important to them than if you are late with the current payment.

But they are correct that the account is in arrears.

Of course you can always show your disapproval by moving to another supplier. You don't get any rewards for staying with the same supplier these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My friend lived with her partner for 5 years.
    The bill was in his name but was paid by bank transfer every month from her account, it was always about €10 in credit as she always paid €60 per month.

He left, she had to change the account into her name for proof of address for the social welfare.

She was hit with a €300 deposit, even though the initial deposit was paid by bank transfer 5 years ago from her bank account and she had a copy of her bank statement saying this.

She fought the €300 deposit for 5 months before she got a letter threatening disconnection.

They wouldn't accept DD instead of a deposit as according to them she had never had an account.

In the end she had to get a meter installed and buy tokens.

The only shop that sell the tokens is 3 miles away and 2 bus rides away.

Even when the SVdP tried to deal with them, they still insisted on the €300.

Srameen, somewhat of a shill/apologist for the company are we! Nice to see consumer support on your part there.

Just for the record; I do NOT work for Electric Ireland. I just gave you the facts.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi newirishshogun,
    I received a letter threatening me with disconnection because I "owe" €300, I don’t owe anything, that’s a deposit that I'm being threatened over.

I understand that you are taking issue with paying this deposit, but it is a prerequisite for any new customer who wants to set up an account (see here for the Terms & Conditions of supply). However, as you know, we waive this fee if the customer sets up a direct debit.

What is unclear to me is why you are being charged with a deposit if you have been with us for the past 15 years. Unless the account was only recently set up, or there a change of supplier involved, this would not normally be done.
    ... I just would rather pay my bill, on time, in my own time rather than have electric Ireland pull a huge chunk of money from my account when they want to.

In the case of a direct debit, we send you the bill and 14 days later collect the due amount. The collection date will also be clearly marked on your bill, so if you know that the funds will not be present, you can contact us and we can defer the payment, or break it up into instalments.

Our credit terms state that payment in full is required within 14 days, so the direct debit allows you the same amount of time to make payment as you would have otherwise.

If you are having any trouble clearing your bill within the allotted time, it is recommended you get in touch with us to discuss a payment plan. Please feel free to PM me your details if you would like me to look into this further for you.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I notice the letter states that "your credit rating has now been affected", but from what I can tell Electric Ireland are not members of the ICB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Mena wrote: »
    I notice the letter states that "your credit rating has now been affected", but from what I can tell Electric Ireland are not members of the ICB...

I think you are right there. They are not members of the ICB. However, maybe they should be. It is only fair, that people who do not pay their bills on time, should have the fact recorded. ESB today, who tomorrow?

You cannot agree to terms of conditions with a company, then tear them up and try to set your own conditions.

IF THAT IS THE CASE HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

It's purely an internal credit rating. It can affect what discounts/packages you will be offered and how you will be treated if you are in arrears in the future.

Credit rating does not only refer to ICB items. Any company can use it's own credit rating; which Electric Ireland does here.

I too think, however, that they should join ICB and reflect a poor payment record by it's customers on general Credit Ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My friend lived with her partner for 5 years.
    The bill was in his name but was paid by bank transfer every month from her account, it was always about €10 in credit as she always paid €60 per month.

He left, she had to change the account into her name for proof of address for the social welfare.

She was hit with a €300 deposit, even though the initial deposit was paid by bank transfer 5 years ago from her bank account and she had a copy of her bank statement saying this.

She fought the €300 deposit for 5 months before she got a letter threatening disconnection.

They wouldn't accept DD instead of a deposit as according to them she had never had an account.
    In the end she had to get a meter installed and buy tokens.

The only shop that sell the tokens is 3 miles away and 2 bus rides away.

Even when the SVdP tried to deal with them, they still insisted on the €300.

No account in her name = never had account.

Same rules apply. Just because she lived with someone who had an account with them doesn't mean she doesn't get treated as a new customer when she sets up her own account. Also it would have only taken one phone call to get both names put on the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

wmpdd3 wrote:

Just in case there is any confusion on this point, when a customer sets up a direct debit, no deposit is required. We would always accept a direct debit as a substitute for paying a deposit, irrespective of whether it is a new or existing customer we are dealing with.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Credit rating does not only refer to ICB items. Any company can use it's own credit rating; which Electric Ireland does here.

I too think, however, that they should join ICB and reflect a poor payment record by it's customers on general Credit Ratings.
    Why?

eggy81 wrote: »
    Why?

Why do they have an internal credit rating or why should they join ICB?

I'll assume the latter. A debt for energy supplied is a debt like any other. Why should it not be reflected by ICB in assessing credit worthiness like any other commodity? Then some people might pay on time rather than impose debts on a company that get passed ultimately to all customers.

Advertisement