Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage query

Options
  • 27-07-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm 20 years old and working in a hotel and yet I'm getting paid about 2E under the minimum wage. I'm working part time and sometimes the hours are just not worth the 30 min drive to and from work. What are the rules and regulations on this and supposedly it could be some time before I'll get min wage. I haven't seen any terms or conditions for my employment and I've been working there for a number of months. I know i'm not the only one but i want to see if they can do this?

Thanks in advance for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Hi,

I'm 20 years old and working in a hotel and yet I'm getting paid about 2E under the minimum wage. I'm working part time and sometimes the hours are just not worth the 30 min drive to and from work. What are the rules and regulations on this and supposedly it could be some time before I'll get min wage. I haven't seen any terms or conditions for my employment and I've been working there for a number of months. I know i'm not the only one but i want to see if they can do this?

Thanks in advance for advice

Do you fall into any of the following categories:

There are some exceptions to those entitled to receive the national minimum wage. The legislation does not apply to a person employed by a close relative (for example, a spouse, civil partner or parent) nor does it apply to those in statutory apprenticeships. Also some employees such as young people under 18 and trainees are only guaranteed a reduced or sub-minimum rate of the national minimum wage.

Sub-minimum rates
    Since 1 July 2011 the National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates, see also 'Rates' below:

An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)
    This phasing in of the national minimum wage also applies to employees who are over 18 and enter employment for the first time.

if not then you should be getting min wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eeyoreis optimus1

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Do you fall into any of the following categories:

There are some exceptions to those entitled to receive the national minimum wage. The legislation does not apply to a person employed by a close relative (for example, a spouse, civil partner or parent) nor does it apply to those in statutory apprenticeships. Also some employees such as young people under 18 and trainees are only guaranteed a reduced or sub-minimum rate of the national minimum wage.

Sub-minimum rates
    Since 1 July 2011 the National Minimum Wage Act provides the following sub-minimum rates, see also 'Rates' below:

An employee who is under 18 is entitled to €6.06 per hour (this is 70% of the minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)
    An employee who is in the second year of employment since the date of first employment over the age of 18 is entitled to €7.79 per hour (90% of the minimum wage)
    This phasing in of the national minimum wage also applies to employees who are over 18 and enter employment for the first time.

if not then you should be getting min wage.

Thank you I fall into the 'An employee who is in the first year of employment since the age of 18 is entitled to €6.92 per hour (80% of minimum wage)" section but i'm getting paid less than that. Thanks for your reply!

Advertisement