Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe didn't finish anywhere in the Modern Pentathlon today unfortunately. What a strange combination of sports...how would you even decide you wanted to start it?! :P Swimming and running are grand, but then horseriding, shooting, and fencing?!

Can't wait for the boxing, under an hour and a half to go. Whatever way it goes, he has done fantastically to get a gold or silver medal.

Been reading up on the pentathlon and it's meant to be modeled on the skills needed by a cavalry soldier. Wish I'd watched more of it tbh, just caught some of the fencing and swimming.

Almost completely forgot about the boxing! :eek::eek:

These late nights are getting to me. :P

JJ will have it all to do, fighting a brilliant GB fighter. Would be nice if he could win and it'd be definitively our best Olympics ever I think.

Can't believe it'll all be over tomorrow and we'll be 4 years away from the Olympics again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Can't wait for JJ Nevin. If he boxes to his full potential he shouldn't have any issues with the home refing.

'mon John Joe! This is yours!

'hon the John Joe!

You can do it son!

It's weird hearing the crowd cheering AGAINST the Irish fighter...

Campbell up 5-3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The problem is that I know nothing about boxing, so I have no idea if Nevin is actually doing well or Jimmy Magee is just biased...

Namlub wrote: »
    The problem is that I know nothing about boxing, so I have no idea if Nevin is actually doing well or Jimmy Magee is just biased...

Nevin is doing well, and this is a cracking fight.

No matter who wins, they'll be a worthy winner IMO.

Id say the Brit has it.

What a great fight!

Campbell a worthy winner here, Nevin seemed to panic a little in the last round, and Campbell looked the more confident at the beginning of the fight.

Will we ever get two golds in boxing? :P

Final Score: 14-11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Disappointing fight I thought. John Joe didn't turn up in my opinion. If he was like he was in the semi he would have won this pretty well. He must have been shattered like. Fair play though. Silver is a great achievement.

• Advertisement

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Disappointing fight I thought. John Joe didn't turn up in my opinion. If he was like he was in the semi he would have won this pretty well. He must have been shattered like. Fair play though. Silver is a great achievement.

He didn't look up for it at the start, he was standing fairly still in his corner while the British lad was hopping around the place all pumped up.

I think JJ was closest to his best form in the 2nd round, but he made some sloppy errors in the 3rd which cost him greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Chortled at this - Magee's the most insufferably biased commentator ever! He's much more enjoyable commentating on football (unless you support the teams involved).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

When in doubt dont listen to Magee...
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He didn't look up for it at the start, he was standing fairly still in his corner while the British lad was hopping around the place all pumped up.

I think JJ was closest to his best form in the 2nd round, but he made some sloppy errors in the 3rd which cost him greatly.
    I actually thought the opposite, I thought Nevin looked fairly relaxed and confident waving to the crowd walking in and stuff. Wheres the Brit was just robotically moving around..
    No argues with the descision tho, Campbell defo fought better.. Pity it wasnt as "attractive" a match to watch as The Cubians one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I love Tom Daley and how he's delighted with his bronze, he really deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

RTE are showing delayed coverage of the basketball men's final. I don't know where they found the commentator but he is hilarious.

Women's pentathlon has been quite entertaining. Irish girl putting in a good showing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

After one quarter of the basketball game they're going back to boxing -.- Jokeshop of a channel...

The basketball is unbelievable as well, Tim makes it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I really don't know what I'm going to do without the Olympics.

After one quarter of the basketball game they're going back to boxing -.- Jokeshop of a channel...

The basketball is unbelievable as well, Tim makes it tbh

RTE's coverage has been rather dire tbh. Taking breaks in the middle of events, focusing on the same events every day rather than diversifying and showing the more obscure stuff, commentators who don't know what they're commentating on, far too much studio discussions.

It's bad when I'm willing to put up with British jingoism just to watch it. :P
    Luno wrote: »
    I really don't know what I'm going to do without the Olympics.

It's like the World Cup, it comes around and dominates you for two weeks, and then f*cks off and leaves you for four years. :(

Countdown to Rio starts tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The Basketball commentators on RTE are gas lads altogether.

They're cracking me up at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

One Direction performing at the closing ceremony tonight. :D hehehehe. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Can't believe it's nearly all over :( the basketball was a great way to finish it up though for me. The commentator should be signed up for the NBA matches. BOOOM-SHAQA-LACKA!!!!!!! :D

Damn good thus far. Timothy Spall, Madness, Del and Rodney, Parklife and this tweet:
    Marty Morrissey ‏@Marty_Morrissey
    Right lads.. The Protestants are glued to the ceremony, let's take the 6 counties back now when they're not looking

I thought Madness were poor tbh. I did like the Italian Job/Only Fools part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Damn good thus far. Timothy Spall, Madness, Del and Rodney, Parklife

Average at best really.

Ray Davies \o/ Ruddy love this song, especially I'm name checked in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

D'awww Julie, so happy for you! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

... I've never heard that song before... Was he really flat, or was it just me?!

Wasn't the best version tbh. Though the sound isn't helping, Madness sounded muddy too. (And look up the original, it's a classic!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

... I've never heard that song before... Was he really flat, or was it just me?!

I think it's just because he was getting on in years, so he was a bit flat.

Love a bit of Elbow!

Advertisement