Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C+H Thread of Olympic-y Goodness

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Sorry to keep making 'holy cow, gymnastics!' posts, but holy cow! Rhythmic gymnastics! They're fantastic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Have to get the bus ten minutes before Katie Taylor's fight starts, by the time I het back from work the coverage will be over (four channels ftl) and I can't watch anything on the PC because the speakers are broken, or the laptop because the charger's broken. So basically I'm going to miss everything and my life is a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Namlub wrote: »
    Have to get the bus ten minutes before Katie Taylor's fight starts, by the time I het back from work the coverage will be over (four channels ftl) and I can't watch anything on the PC because the speakers are broken, or the laptop because the charger's broken. So basically I'm going to miss everything and my life is a shambles

If you have a decent set of headphones, plug them into the PC and turn the volume up to the last? If they're good headphones they'll be as good as speakers in a quiet-ish area.

And if that's not an option, can't you just watch it on the PC without sound?

Or, if you have an Android/iOS phone, RTEPlayer streams are available?

Hmm, I'll give it a go...might end up having to watch it with no sound, I won't have a clue what's going on >_>

If Katie punches the other girl more, she wins. That's all you need to know really! :pac:

And if all else fails, you can watch it as soon as you get home on RTE Player, they make the previous 12 hours of coverage available there.

I'm getting worried now, all the news bulletins have basically been saying she has the Gold and is on her way back to Bray. Whenever the country gets this overconfident it always ends in tears...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Namlub wrote: »
    Pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone got any other sites apart from RTE player, AERtv and Filmon to watch this in case they are overloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Mhmmm, it's days like today that make me wish I worked in an electrical store...I'll have to hear the result on the news on the radio at work (it should be over by five, right?) instead. I know I can watch it when I get home but it's not the same at all really. Sad face.

Skerries wrote: »
    anyone got any other sites apart from RTE player, AERtv and Filmon to watch this in case they are overloaded?

I've seen links to a site called something like eurovisionsports.tv or something. If you go over to the Sports forum and the London 2012 Daily Diary thread you'll find the link somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I'm in work at 5 so will be on my way there during the fight. Which will mean I've barely missed all three of them.

Also watching the Olympics in English is weird. The Germans make it much more exciting!

• Advertisement

HON TA FOOK TAYLOR!

2-2 after R1.

GET IN!!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Katie Taylor!!!! That was unreal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Outstanding, greatest Irish sportswoman of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

As somebody who is also from Wicklow county I take partial credit for this victory in women's boxing.

I'm actually getting a little sick of Bolt tbh. Blake technically is the better sprinter...if they were the same height Blake would be killing him everytime. But fair play to Bolt. He's definitely the best achiever in sprinting ever. Not so sure about best sprinter overall though. Can't wait for the 100m x 4 relay :pac:

Was at the train station in time to see the last three rounds, sweet.

Annoyingly, this little kid standing in front of me was onviously annoyed no-one was paying attention so he kept shouting 'Russia are going to win! We failed, Mommy!' the entire time >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Busy day for Ireland tomorrow, even with the medals the last couple of days we haven't really had much going on.

Tomorrow we have 3 boxing semi-finals...here's hoping we don't have any bronzes this time tomorrow and instead are fighting it out for silver or gold! :D I think the lads have pretty tough opponents though. Would be great to get another day or 2 out of the boxing if they go through!

Andrzej Jezierski (quality Irish name there! :P) will be in the canoeing heats in the morning. He has 5 World Championship medals from his time representing Poland in the Canoe Sprint.

We also have the women's 4x400m relay, but our previous times in this race are nowhere near the other times in our heat unfortunately.

Busy day for Ireland tomorrow, even with the medals the last couple of days we haven't really had much going on.

Tomorrow we have 3 boxing semi-finals...here's hoping we don't have any bronzes this time tomorrow and instead are fighting it out for silver or gold! :D I think the lads have pretty tough opponents though. Would be great to get another day or 2 out of the boxing if they go through!

Andrzej Jezierski (quality Irish name there! :P) will be in the canoeing heats in the morning. He has 5 World Championship medals from his time representing Poland in the Canoe Sprint.

We also have the women's 4x400m relay, but our previous times in this race are nowhere near the other times in our heat unfortunately.

Any idea what time Andrzej (can't wait for the RTE commentators attempting to say that!) is racing?

I reckon Conlan and Nevin might be our best bet at success tomorrow. Think Conlan has the best chance. Both Nevin and Barnes have made sloppy errors in their fights, and they both have tricky opponents. Conlan has been superb so far, so lets hope we'll upgrade at least one of those bronze to a silver, and that way this'll've been one of best Olympics ever.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Any idea what time Andrzej (can't wait for the RTE commentators attempting to say that!) is racing?

It starts at 9.51 and he's in the first heat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Barnes fought proudly. 15-15, Chinese boxer won on countback, very unlucky.

Fair f*cks to Paddy Barnes. Definitely the best fight I've seen at the Olympics so far. Pity we didn't get that extra point for being neighbours. I thought he had it won tbh. Great stuff though. The chinese guy is an unreal boxer. Love his style.

What an absolute kick in the testicles to lose 45-44 on countback. :\

I was full sure Paddy would win if it went to countback, he was the better fighter in the 2nd two rounds.

Still, bronze medal's nothing to be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

'Hon Nevin!! :D And commiserations to Barnes, he boxed brilliantly, did us proud.

So not the best day for Ireland, apart from JJ Nevin who was fantastic earlier! Its a pity Barnes couldn't improve on Beijing's result but bronze medals in 2 Olympic games is still brilliant. Michael Conlon was also unfortunate but he seemed very gracious in defeat, just didn't work out for him today.

Ireland are now topping the London 2012 Boxing Medal table though! :)

Watching the Men's 10m Diving now. The BBC presenters keep referring to how Tom Daley will get on in the semi final, and then catching themselves with an "er, if he makes it that is!" :P He's made his way into the top 10 now after a disappointing start so with 18 to qualify he should make it through...imagine their shock if he doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Good fight tonight, in fairness Conlan came up against some opponent. Still bronze is by no means an embarrassment.

I reckon Heffernan will win a medal in the 50km walk tomorrow.

Disappointed for Conlan, don't think his performance was a fair reflection on how good he's been, but he was just outclassed today.

He's definitely one to watch in the future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Rob Heffernan's flying in the 50k walk, just pushed into 4th! The first three are still a bit ahead of him, but he's still doing really well! :)

EDIT: And the Chinese athlete in third place is really grimacing! Come on Rob!!

He was out by 38 seconds in the end! Well done nonetheless :) He looks like he still really enjoyed it! :) And he got a national record!

Great performance by Rob! Wasn't expecting much after the 20k but to be in contention for 3rd for the last 10k of that race surpassed my expectations.

As an aside, walking is a RIDICULOUS sport to watch. :pac: It's like 100 people bursting for a piss waddling to get the bathroom.

EDIT: And someone just said Rob knocked 7 minutes off the Irish record for the event. SEVEN!

• Advertisement

Arthur Lanigan-O'Keeffe didn't finish anywhere in the Modern Pentathlon today unfortunately. What a strange combination of sports...how would you even decide you wanted to start it?! :P Swimming and running are grand, but then horseriding, shooting, and fencing?!

Can't wait for the boxing, under an hour and a half to go. Whatever way it goes, he has done fantastically to get a gold or silver medal.

Advertisement