Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012

Options
  • 28-07-2012 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Anyone going to be watching the Eventing/Jumping for this? Does anyone know a channel that will give full coverage of all Equestrian events?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

start here, http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/sports/equestrian :)

in fact if you've got Sky go to channel 141 (the Beeb) and press the red button, then select the London 2012, and you get to a feature page with a a A-Z at the top, you get to Equestrian from there. Just been watching the Dressage for the Three day event and skipping over to the Ladies fencing (the other hobby).

(if you've not got BBC one on your sky package go to the settings page and add channels, you'll need to to add channels to your "Other Channels" option, do the following -

With your digibox turned on, press the "Services" button (near the top of the remote).

Select number 4 (System Setup), and then 4 again ("Add Channels").

In the appropriate fields enter the following (you move through the fields using the up and down arrow keys).

In the Frequency field enter: 10.773,

The next three fields are toggle fields, i.e. using the left and right arrows will change the value.

Toggle Polarisation to : H
    Toggle Symbol Rate to: 22000
    Toggle FEC to : 5/6

Then select the last button - Find Channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

thanks a mill! Unfortunately I've got UPC so no red button for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yes no red button here, just the old fashioned RTE 1 and 2.., however you ought to be able to catch a lot of the action online via tv network providers?

I have some mates watching the dressage at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich this morning, and was getting all of their updates and photos from facebook, so with the world wide web there are always ways and means :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If you watch rte you wouldnt think we have any equestrian competitors. Red button on bbc is excellent

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have tweeted my annoyance to @RTELondon2012, seems you only count if you are a boxer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

A few minutes ago RTE did a quick round up of the Irish team's performances today, and not one mention was made to or clip shown or the equestrian riders. Absolutely disgraceful. :mad: And unfortunately I don't have anything other than the bog standard channels where I am at the moment, so have no BBC red button :(

Good link here for results: http://www.london2012.com/equestrian/event/eventing-individual/phase=eqx003400/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

In the Star on Thursday they had a double page spread on the guy doing the 50km walk!!

Just wait if the Equestrian competitors win any medals and they will be all over them like a rash. The will run some Inpho/Sportsfile file pictures out and will go on as if they covered their every movement.

Rant over ***

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It might be an idea for people to contact RTE and make their feelings known.Let them know that people actually ARE interested in equestrian sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

click equestrian in the playlists here to watch it http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html . You can buy a cable to link your laptop to your tv :) I have to do this because only 3 channels on UPC are broadcasting the Olympics non of which are showing equestrian sports!

Borderfox wrote: »
    In the Star on Thursday they had a double page spread on the guy doing the 50km walk!!

Just wait if the Equestrian competitors win any medals and they will be all over them like a rash. The will run some Inpho/Sportsfile file pictures out and will go on as if they covered their every movement.

Rant over ***
    I find this breathtaking.

Equestrian sport is our second biggest field in terms of our Olympic competitors and although we have an unfortunate history at the Olympics, is probably our most internationally renowned sporting pursuit. It's something we actually do well; no offence to that guy doing the 50km walk, but it would be nice to see the riders given a little more coverage.

• Advertisement

Not to mention the amount of money the industry generates here.

Wow, the sports report on the RTE 9 o'clock news actually showed a brief clip of Camilla Speirs's and Mary Kyle's dressage test, and a short interview with both her and Zara Phillips!

Unfortunately they made no reference to Aoife Clarke's good test, or to Joseph Murphy or Patrick Ryan. Clearly they didn't feel they could mention them as they hadn't bothered to go out Greenwich to report on the dressage on Saturday or to get any footage of them. Aoife's good perforamance on Saturday obviously shamed them into travelling 'all the way out there' yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

BBC1 will be broadcasting the cross country in a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

click equestrian in the playlists here to watch it http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html .!

Live feed starts in 7 minutes. Type equestrian into the search box to get a countdown to the live feed.

Brilliant - this stream is great, thanks a million for that link!

It is an absolute shocker that they are not showing it on tv, it's a great sport that everyone watches, so many people who don't ride themselves go to the Dublin Horse Show, there would be high viewership on RTE if they showed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Brilliant - this stream is great, thanks a million for that link!

I was a bit premature - I couldnt get any of the two videos to play during lunch at work, I'll try them at home tonight.

I was a bit premature - I couldnt get any of the two videos to play during lunch at work, I'll try them at home tonight.

I got it to play once and the stream was great, I accidentally clicked out of it, and when I tried to stream again, it seems to play the pre-roll ad and not the stream after :(

convert wrote: »
    Unfortunately they made no reference to Aoife Clarke's good test, or to Joseph Murphy or Patrick Ryan. Clearly they didn't feel they could mention them as they hadn't bothered to go out Greenwich to report on the dressage on Saturday or to get any footage of them. Aoife's good perforamance on Saturday obviously shamed them into travelling 'all the way out there' yesterday.

RTE were showing coverage of the XC this morning/ afternoon, with coverage by the reliable old John & Robert Hall; kept on up until about Michael Ryan's disastrous fall at the Saxon village fence (what the Hell happened there:confused:) But then Aoife Clarke was about to come up and they decided not to show anymore. Grr.

Is anyone following Team Ireland on Facebook? I'm in work so can't watch the live stream, but it says Camilla Speirs has been eliminated.

Edit: She fell off.

Post here

• Advertisement

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Is anyone following Team Ireland on Facebook? I'm in work so can't watch the live stream, but it says Camilla Speirs has been eliminated.

Edit: She fell off.

Post here
    So we have to use all of our remaining rider's scores - hopefully nobody else being eliminated.

Such a shame; she had the best Team Ireland score after the dressage, and of course an even bigger shame for her and her team on a personal level. The course looks deceptively straightforward but it's so undulating and winding and maybe that is having something to do with eliminations. Good to hear they are both alright.

later12 wrote: »
    So we have to use all of our remaining rider's scores - hopefully nobody else being eliminated.

Such a shame; she had the best Team Ireland score after the dressage, and of course an even bigger shame for her and her team on a personal level. The course looks deceptively straightforward but it's so undulating and winding and maybe that is having something to do with eliminations. Good to hear they are both alright.

Apparently it was at the Rose Garden fence. It is a pity, she did a cracking test yesterday.

Regarding the course, I really like it, I especially like the introduction of the Tower of London fences (15 & 16 I think?), it gives a real combined training feel, and a bit different, which is always good. The water jumps look tough enough, but overall a nice course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

fair play to mark, last man to go and knew he couldn't make an error, huge pressure, it would have been understandable if he took it very slow and steady but he only picked up 7.20 penalties, a lot of bottle shown there

as for micheal, he was first to go and the pathfinder so flying around the course - only came a cropper at a fence near the end, understandable to an extent as he was taking risks

but what the hell happened with Camilla? if she had gone clean around the course at a decent time we would be maybe 5th in the team and she would have given herself a great chance in the individual, i've been hearing a lot about how great she has done this year, and the wonderful form she (and her horse) have shown but the fact is that she has failed on the biggest stage which is very disappointing after the good dressage - which leads me to my next point, when a rider is unseated where is the blame generally apportioned? is it the horse, the rider, bad luck, bad riding, what? As a non equestrian expert I don't want to be too quick to judge/criticise but we had high hopes for her and she is gone and i am just looking for an explanation as to what went wrong - how did she manage to blow it?

donfers wrote: »

but what the hell happened with Camilla? if she had gone clean around the course at a decent time we would be maybe 5th in the team and she would have given herself a great chance in the individual, i've been hearing a lot about how great she has done this year, and the wonderful form she (and her horse) have shown but the fact is that she has failed on the biggest stage which is very disappointing after the good dressage - which leads me to my next point, when a rider is unseated where is the blame generally apportioned? is it the horse, the rider, bad luck, bad riding, what? As a non equestrian expert I don't want to be too quick to judge/criticise but we had high hopes for her and she is gone and i am just looking for an explanation as to what went wrong - how did she manage to blow it?
    Yeah it would be interesting to see her fall, I didn't see it yet.

Solid fences are always risky at the end of a round when horses are tired, and that probably had something to do with Michael Ryan coming a cropper, but there was definitely a rider effect there as well. From what I saw, it looked like Ryan was picking up contact, perhaps fearing that the horse might run out, but completely lost momentum approaching the take off and the horse was too tired to overcome it. Nobody wants to be too harsh on any of the riders at a time when there is such pressure but I think Ryan probably made a mistake in his approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

donfers wrote: »
    fair play to mark, last man to go and knew he couldn't make an error, huge pressure, it would have been understandable if he took it very slow and steady but he only picked up 7.20 penalties, a lot of bottle shown there

as for micheal, he was first to go and the pathfinder so flying around the course - only came a cropper at a fence near the end, understandable to an extent as he was taking risks

I don't know what happened to Camilla, but apparently she was flying up until the fall and was in a really good position time wise.
    You could see from miles out that Michael would struggle over the fence, it looked like he just stopped riding and let the horse fall back to nothing. Even the most honest horse would be too tired to save the rider at that point. Complete rider error, but it's easily done.
    Without seeing the fall I think it's unfair to blame anyone, it could have been rider error, maybe Jiff slipped or left a leg over the fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Mark Todd makes it look so easy :)

All 3 Irish horses have passed their inspections this morning and are waiting for their first round of show jumping (which began at 10.30am).

7 horses failed this morning.

Ireland now in 5th place overall!

Fantastic comeback under such difficult circumstances. Don't expect to hear much about it in the Irish media.

Delighted for Mary King earlier, what a heroic rider and still going strong. If we can't get a medal lets at least hope the British can pick one up.

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »
    Ireland now in 5th place overall!

Fantastic comeback under such difficult circumstances. Don't expect to hear much about it in the Irish media.

Delighted for Mary King earlier, what a heroic rider and still going strong. If we can't get a medal lets at least hope the British can pick one up.

I haven't had a chance to watch it, but will on lunch, are all Irish riders finished?

Advertisement