Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

ppink wrote: »
    The time seems very tight!

It's doable, but anyone who has made the time, has knocked. Cian went the right way about it and took his time. He accrued one time penalty as opposed to 4 - 12 penalties from knocking, trying to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

All in Nick Skeltons hands now:eek:...............

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Since I dont know much about the sport, any chance the timing could be wrong when it's that close, and an appeal could be made?

Wow guaranteed medal for Cian now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

titan18 wrote: »
    Since I dont know much about the sport, any chance the timing could be wrong when it's that close, and an appeal could be made?

No timing will be spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No timing will be spot on.

Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't know much about the sport but do they they do the whole course again for the jump off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Cian should play the euro millions this week. He had some run of luck to get a medal and it's still not over yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Cian in medal jumpoff, for either bronze or silver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

beat time by 3 seconds, knocked the last. Bronze for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bronze for cian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Beat the time, but hit the last fence!

Bronze. So unlucky, but lucky at the same time! :P

Two rounds in a row, he was nearly clear, but go caught at the last second.

Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Puts us on the medal table :)

Pity that we lost it on such close encounters, both in Round B and the Jump Off, but still immensely proud of Cian, first medal for Ireland in the Olympics, absolutely delighted, considering he was a last minute replacement for Denis Lynch!

well you can say that he really went for it thats for sure, gutsy little horse he has too, pity about the last down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Two things really stood out for me today.

1. Ireland just won a bronze medal in Showjumping, and there hasn't been a post about the Olympics in the Equestrian forum in over 3 hours.

2. I watched the SJ with a few riding mates and nobody seemed particularly moved by Cian O'Connor (these are all Irish people born and bred). When the coverage finished, everyone was talking about Katie Taylor and Nick Skelton.

Not sure what kind of barometer this is for public feeling on O'Connor's medal. Great for his career I'm sure, but for what it's worth, it's not something I would really feel like celebrating.

I feel very funny about Cian O Connor as do most people i know, I am waiting to see if he will keep this medal which is perhaps unfair?

I saw him interviewed and he said he has moved on, which is great but I am not sure everyone else has moved on from his gold medal being taken back and the debacle after it.

Also I am wondering what is going on with Denis Lynch and why Cian was drafted in instead of him when as far as I have read Lynch has not been convicted of any wrongdoing?
    In one sense I do think that what AhYeah said about the past being the past is right, in another I find it hard to leave it there without having a proper explanation.

I do celebrate he has one fab little horse there though who tried his heart out.

ppink wrote: »
    I feel very funny about Cian O Connor as do most people i know, I am waiting to see if he will keep this medal which is perhaps unfair?

I saw him interviewed and he said he has moved on, which is great but I am not sure everyone else has moved on from his gold medal being taken back and the debacle after it.

I think that Cian put on a cracking display today. It's not easy to go back out there when your name has been tarnished.

However, each to their own. Some people are not behind him, others are.

I don't disagree with anyone who can't get behind him as I can totally see why. However I do think that getting a medal for Ireland in the Equestrian Olympics is a great great thing, to me it doesn't matter who does it for us. I'm just proud that we have a medal.

Also I am wondering what is going on with Denis Lynch and why Cian was drafted in instead of him when as far as I have read Lynch has not been convicted of any wrongdoing?

Denis Lynch's horse tested positive for hypersensitivity.
    I do celebrate he has one fab little horse there though who tried his heart out.

That horse was a little cracker, I think if Cian just held him a fraction before the last fence he would have cleared it. He's a gutsy little machine, and smaller than most of the horses out on the course today!

Steve Guerdat's reaction at the medal ceremony really touched me. He just kept pointing to his horse every time the crowd cheered. A true horseman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

He is something of an enigma, on the circuit in Ireland he just gets on with it and nobody bats an eyelid at him but get to the RDS and listen to the welcome the public give him even after the last Olympics.

Personally I have a lot of time for him and fair play to him for bringing back a medal in a very tough competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

He was just on rte and asked was it redemptive for being a cheat 8 years ago. Cheats should be banned for life, the animal certainly didn't choose to drug up.

• Advertisement

The governing body dont think so, as far as competing goes.
    He was just on rte and asked was it redemptive for being a cheat 8 years ago. Cheats should be banned for life, the animal certainly didn't choose to drug up.

I did hear about the hypersensitivity but I also heard that lots of horses are hypersensitive in showjumping and that does not mean Lynch caused it knowingly. Would that be right?

Must have sickened the Indo to have to print him on the front and back of todays edition, even at last years RDS they were more interested in people eating ice cream than the competitions

A31F26B0664A491EBDC2F0691280D664-0000314346-0002965151-00720L-EF5873933B9C4055AB4EE3142878B885.jpg

I am beaming for him. He seemed so moved yesterday when he received his medal, I think I saw tears in his eyes.

As someone else mentioned, a lot of people are involved in prepping a horse for competition, and often the rider doesn't play a big part in the preparations, but must take the fall for it.

I think he has redeemed himself and am truly proud of him for putting Irish Equestrianism back on the map for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Can anyone tell me what happens to all the horses after they are not putting in winning performances anymore? I think people are becoming more aware of the cruelty element involved in 'sports' where animals are compelled to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Can we please keep posts on topic, please. This thread is about the Olympics, not for discussing animal welfare issues. If you want to discuss any other issues, start a new thread rather than derailing this one. Thanks. If you've any other queries, PM either of the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

"Must have sickened the Indo to have to print him on the front and back of todays edition, even at last years RDS they were more interested in people eating ice cream than the competitions"

This is what I was responding to - I should have quoted it of course. I suppose I was putting forward my theory on why people are not overjoyed at the Equestrian medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was there yesterday. It was a wonderful atmosphere and venue. A credit to the organisers. There was a good Irish crowd there, although the Dutch had the next best support after GB.

• Advertisement

"Must have sickened the Indo to have to print him on the front and back of todays edition, even at last years RDS they were more interested in people eating ice cream than the competitions"

This is what I was responding to - I should have quoted it of course. I suppose I was putting forward my theory on why people are not overjoyed at the Equestrian medal.

It's nothing got to do with animal cruelty.

It's related to Cian O'Connors horse testing positive for banned substances at the Athens Olympics.

Advertisement