Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2012

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    It's nothing got to do with animal cruelty.

It's related to Cian O'Connors horse testing positive for banned substances at the Athens Olympics.

I see. So the horse stayed off the drugs this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Dressage anyone??:)

Laura did a great test, thought Carl would get more though. now fingers crossed for Charlotte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

ppink wrote: »
    Dressage anyone??:)

Laura did a great test, thought Carl would get more though. now fingers crossed for Charlotte

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet! Carl did fantastic in the teams though!

I'm swamped in work today so no chance to watch anything... Work suffered yesterday 'cause of Katie Taylor and Cian OConnor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

"Must have sickened the Indo to have to print him on the front and back of todays edition, even at last years RDS they were more interested in people eating ice cream than the competitions"

This is what I was responding to - I should have quoted it of course. I suppose I was putting forward my theory on why people are not overjoyed at the Equestrian medal.

I don't think it's anything to do with the fact that it's an equestrian medal. I think there are a few reasons for the muted reaction. The main one is that his performance is clearly overshadowed by Katie Taylor's achievements and the fact that she's fighting for a gold medal. We've also had a number of other boxers do very well. These fights have been on the same day as Cian's fantastic achievement, which is unfortunate for him.

The second reason is obviously Cian's previous history with the Olympics and the fact that he was stripped of his gold medal in 2004.

Then you have the controversy surrounding his selection, his initial failure to qualify and the fact that he only got into the final round yesterday morning. That meant there was no build up to the possibility that he could win a medal. It was a bit rushed and a lot of people didn't realise that he was actually jumping until the news broke that he won the medal.

Added to this is the fact that a lot of people don't seem to like him very much, an attitude probably exacerbated by who is godfather is.

Plus I don't think Borderfox's comments are down to what you've termed 'the cruely element'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I see. So the horse stayed off the drugs this year ?
    More a case of Horse Sport Ireland got its finger out to help owners/riders make sense of all the ever changing rules of what's allowed/what's not.

• Advertisement

Last one in now....Charlotte & Valegro!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Right, final warning to all concerned, please stop trying to drag this thread off topic. Any posts unrelated to the Olympics will be deleted and the user infrancted and/or banned.

convert wrote: »
    I don't think it's anything to do with the fact that it's an equestrian medal. I think there are a few reasons for the muted reaction. The main one is that his performance is clearly overshadowed by Katie Taylor's achievements and the fact that she's fighting for a gold medal. We've also had a number of other boxers do very well. These fights have been on the same day as Cian's fantastic achievement, which is unfortunate for him.

The second reason is obviously Cian's previous history with the Olympics and the fact that he was stripped of his gold medal in 2004.

Then you have the controversy surrounding his selection, his initial failure to qualify and the fact that he only got into the final round yesterday morning. That meant there was no build up to the possibility that he could win a medal. It was a bit rushed and a lot of people didn't realise that he was actually jumping until the news broke that he won the medal.

Added to this is the fact that a lot of people don't seem to like him very much, an attitude probably exacerbated by who is godfather is.

Plus I don't think Borderfox's comments are down to what you've termed 'the cruely element'.

Really well put - I met him once, and when I say met him, I mean I was teaching kids in an arena, they all got excited when they saw him walk through and he completely ignored them.

Considering he was an idol to them I thought it rude.

However I won't knock his ability as a rider. He is seriously talented and I am proud of him.

Wow gold for Charlotte:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

and not even a bowler hat :D

• Advertisement

haha yes no bowler! she is brilliant and of course Valegro!! fair play to Carl letting her ride him as he owns him!

Paralympics are next, I'm really looking forward to them!

Advertisement