Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy iPad 3 now or wait for iPhone 5?

• 28-07-2012 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

What would you choose? :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well are you after a tablet or a phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Well are you after a tablet or a phone?

Both tbh :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wait for iphone 5, get that. buy ipad 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

The iPad 3 gives no benefit over the iPad 2, apart from the higher res screen. the gfx chip is more powerful, but side by side the iPad 2 runs games faster, the iPad 3 runs much hotter and the battery takes twice as long to charge. I'd look for deals on the iPad 2 and wait for the iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

WillyFXP wrote: »
    The iPad 3 gives no benefit over the iPad 2, apart from the higher res screen

To be fair, that's a huge benefit. Plus it will be supported for longer than iPad 2.

• Advertisement

In what way is it a huge benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Well considering you're looking at the screen most of the time do you not think a much clearer, sharper screen can only be a good thing?

If the iPhone 5 came out with a much lower quality screen then the 4S do you not think people would complain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

In what way is it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mdwexford wrote: »
    In what way is it not?

Good point well made...

up to the original statement maker to validate their reasoning 1st :D

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Good point well made...

up to the original statement maker to validate their reasoning 1st :D

No noticeable difference at normal viewing distance, generates a LOT of heat, graphics performance is LOWER, no benefit in advanced cellular tech in this country, longer charging time, higher price, thicker, heavier.

• Advertisement

Unless you need glasses there is a huge difference at normal viewing distance.

Have you got proof of the lower graphics performance, haven't heard that before.

The rest are pretty much non issues bar charging does take a long time, how long does it take for the iPad 2?

Unless you need glasses there is a huge difference at normal viewing distance.

Have you got proof of the lower graphics performance, haven't heard that before.

The rest are pretty much non issues bar charging does take a long time, how long does it take for the iPad 2?

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/30/benchmarked-new-ipads-a5x-vs-ipad-2s-a5-vs-tegra-3/

Put both together and there is no discernable difference in the screen unless it's closer than about 12 inches, if you are holding it that close then you do need glasses. I think LTE being unusable is a fairly major "non issue" seeing as it was one of the 2 major upgrades over the iPad 2. Anyway, this discussion is totally off topic, I've made my points. Feel free to start an iPad 2 v iPad 3 thread and watch the fanboys tear themselves apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nemesisdg

If you want both you could buy a Samsung Galaxy Note.
    If you want an Apple product wait for the alleged new iPad mini which may be announced with the next version of the iPhone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wait for the new iPhone.

Buy an iPad 3 now with it's amazing, noticeably better than the iPad 2, screen.
    The next iPad is likely only to be a spec bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

No noticeable difference at normal viewing distance, generates a LOT of heat, graphics performance is LOWER, no benefit in advanced cellular tech in this country, longer charging time, higher price, thicker, heavier.

I noticed the difference at normal viewing distance, very big improvement, and i wear glasses! Next thing you'll be telling us there's no difference between the 3GS and 4 screen!

Also graphics performance is higher, but it runs a higher resolution display so the frame rate could be lower. Give out to developers for not offering a lower resolution pixel doubled resolution for higher speed.

Quite frankly i prefer the slightly slower but higher res graphics, but that's personal choice.

To the OP, wait for the 5. At least you can get a 4S cheaper when it comes out. If you can get both then buy the new iPad now. No point waiting for the new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TBi wrote: »
    I noticed the difference at normal viewing distance, very big improvement, and i wear glasses! Next thing you'll be telling us there's no difference between the 3GS and 4 screen!

Also graphics performance is higher, but it runs a higher resolution display so the frame rate could be lower. Give out to developers for not offering a lower resolution pixel doubled resolution for higher speed.

Quite frankly i prefer the slightly slower but higher res graphics, but that's personal choice.

To the OP, wait for the 5. At least you can get a 4S cheaper when it comes out. If you can get both then buy the new iPad now. No point waiting for the new one.

I have iPad 2, but was using a new ipad today, and honestly didn't see that much difference. Certainly not enough to buy the new one.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I have iPad 2, but was using a new ipad today, and honestly didn't see that much difference. Certainly not enough to buy the new one.

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has different preferences, if they were the same price what would you get? Higher res 'new' with heavier battery and slower graphics or the lighter lower res '2' with faster graphics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

If you have an ipad 2 then i wouldn't bother getting the new one, But for people who are looking to buy their first tablet i'd suggest the ipad 3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has different preferences, if they were the same price what would you get? Higher res 'new' with heavier battery and slower graphics or the lighter lower res '2' with faster graphics?

I'd get iPad 2, but 32Gb rather than 16.

I'd get iPad 2, but 32Gb rather than 16.

So if they were exactly the same price, for 32GB 'new' and 32gb '2' you'd get the 2? Interesting...

• Advertisement

So if they were exactly the same price, for 32GB 'new' and 32gb '2' you'd get the 2? Interesting...

Or stupid whichever you prefer.

No, 32GB iPad2 v 16gb iPad 3.

Or stupid whichever you prefer.

Why don't you wind your neck in. I thought it was obvious 32gb 2 v 16gb 3.

No, 32GB iPad2 v 16gb iPad 3.

My question was if they were both the same price what would you get? Assuming, as i said, the 32Gb 3 was the same price as the 32GB 2. I understand in reality that they are different prices.

Why don't you wind your neck in. I thought it was obvious 32gb 2 v 16gb 3.

I thought it was obvious that wasn't what was asked.

Advertisement