Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walter Mitty

• 28-07-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know any Walter Mitty type characters?

An old friend of mine was a total fruitcake. (I say friend but he was more of an acquaintance). He used to come out with the craziest of stories and expect us to believe them.
    When we were about 14 or so, he told us that he managed to stop an armed robbery in the post office when he hit the robber with a hammer. He was never able to explain where he got this hammer from or why the post office was open on a Sunday. :rolleyes:
    That's not too bad because we were just kids, but then when we were about 17 or 18 he went on holidays to California and apparently met Snoop Dogg at a 7/11 and ended up smoking weed with him for a few hours. Unfortunately he forgot his camera that day. I think he genuinely believed some of his wacky tales.

I lost touch with him but I imagine he's either a world renowned astronaut now or he's in a mental home.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

I wouldn't be far off one.

Tonight on my way home, I think I spent most of the journey in deep thought thinking about just how I would make a great Batman in Dublin if I had Bruce Wayne's money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Pj! wrote: »
    Could even be one in this thread!

Sure I've all but admitted it, no need to humiliate me :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, one in particular. He used to tell us of his adventures with half the Man United squad and the time he nearly got shot in the US for getting into a fight with some 'gangland' fellows

I was married to a Walter Mitty type once. Lying bastard.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I had a mate like that!

His dad had (has) a bar. A very unique place, that I have a lot of time for, but it's unlike any other. It's basically the living room of a Georgian house, a bit reminiscent of Father Ted's.

But according to yer man, he was one of the Hilton's.

To this day, he goes around the place telling everyone how much you learn about life running a bar (he used to pull weekend shifts for the father), and how it makes you a man, able to handle yourself, and ever watchful for danger.

He's a bit of a white van man, did a PLC course in electronics, and has called himself an engineer for twenty years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A Kerry uncle of mine used to visit us every now and again when we were in England, and there was always "someone after him", usually MI5, Special Branch or the SAS, and later even the IRA, The truth of the matter was that he was a complete pisshead on the scrounge for booze-money, thinking he'd get more if we thought his life was in danger. The booze will probably kill him first, but not yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think you're getting a Walter Mitty type mixed up with a compulsive liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Jay from the inbetweeners came straight into my head.

I shagged him once when I met him on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A 'Walter Mitty Complex' is a sign of unfulfillment. In life you have to take the bull by the horns and pursue exactly what you want from it. Daydreaming won't suffice and will only lead to an unhealthy state of mind.

There is a downside though.

People invariably see through the bullsh1t after a while. This lad has pretty much left his friends behind and is wrapped up in his home life. He basically tied himself up in so many knots, he couldn't open his mouth for fear of ridicule.

Many years ago, he was driving home after a few jars, and sideswiped a couple of cars. His own car at the time, although a few years old, was a sweet ride. He promptly drove it to the beach at low tide, and abandoned it. The following morning, probably not long after he walked home-he reported it stolen. By then, it had been three quarters submerged, reported by concerned walkers, and recovered.

The guards asked him if he wanted his wallet and house keys back, as he'd left them on the dash, as well as a tell tale streak of paint on three parked cars in the vicinity. To this day he still insists the car was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Just back from the Olympic opening ceremony, flew home in my private jet. :)

Gas craic, had a few pints with the queen earlier too..... Gas women that wan!
    They asked me to light the torch but I refused 'Sure jasus I'm a Paddy, wouldn't be right lads' so I gave em a hand and we knocked up the cauldron in about 30mins (Iv an engineering degree)

Pulled a bure from most countries, Shiften all round me I was...... Brought a few back with me on the plane too ;)

Good oul night now I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

I used to work with a guy who told me his father invented the flexi clock. Maybe I would have believed it if I stopped listening to him then.

I once told him the story about my Uncle and the details surrounding how his death occured- quite unique circumstances. About half an hour later, he told me how his uncle died - the exact same story as I had just told him.

I nearly named my cat after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

There's one over on the airsoft forum, convinced himself he was an Irish army ranger :rolleyes:, apparently now retired in his 20's and working as a sales assistant in a small shop. Despite being called up on it constantly, its one of his go to stories.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

There's a guy who drinks in my local and he would win an Oscar for his performances. One week he is djing in the VIP of lilies, the following week he is a mechanic, then the week after that he drives a coach, then I actually saw him working at that, except he was the ticket seller at the bus stop.

He tells everyone he was scouted and signed for man u when he was younger except he fell over in training and busted his knee which was the end of his footballing career.

He likes to think he can have anyone he wants, and goes around telling people that he was with so and so the night before, regardless if that person is married or not which has caused a few collisions.

The worst thing is, he believes himself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mod:
    Please dont use this thread to make digs at other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I could've sworn I posted in this thread already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

A few posts went missing alright

That reminds me! Youghal seems to breed Mitties. If any of you have time-this is worth a read:

Start here (long):http://www.pamolson.org/Ronan.htm

This was extensively covered in the media at the time.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

This fella I used to hang around with as a teen (still see him every now and again on nights out) used to tell us of his 'brother' who no one ever saw and apparently who, according to him, threatened him at gunpoint after being caught by this 'brother' doing drugs or something. :rolleyes:

I admire his imagination though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

You did,

But it was removed for security reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Most politicians that I have encountered so far are Wally Mitties.
    Not a word of truth and loads of fairy tales. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

A few posts went missing alright

The mods will sleep better tonight.

I did know a guy who came out with the most outrageous sh1te. I mean, if you said anything at all, he'd better it. Even if it's something you know he wasn't in to, he'd claim he was at a younger age and proceed to tell you how good he was at it.
    I'm sure there are plenty out there like it. I often wonder why (about the guy I know). Is it a feeling of inferiority for whatever reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Walter Mitty Moment. . .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Airbrushed from history like a Photoshop expert?

Robbo wrote: »
    Airbrushed from history like a Photoshop expert?

A graphic scenario!

There you go, dicing with danger again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

You've already said too much

i think someones coming to take me awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hmm, it's funny, I would expecte everyone to understand the idea of a mod direction on thread, especially other mods and those who have modded here in the past.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Mod:
    Please dont use this thread to make digs at other posters.

For the record, thread was cleaned at my request as CatMod. There's no need whatsoever to drag stuff from one thread to another to take sly digs at other posters. It wouldn't fly in any other forum on Boards; it doesn't fly here.

Thread closed.

Frada - one weeks ban for repeatedly re-instating a post previously deleted by a mod.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement