Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good first time fishing spots in Leinster?

Options
  • 28-07-2012 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I promised to take my other half out fishing tomorrow as she's never been before. I've only ever fished the canals up near my home place when I was younger and have no idea where to bring her?

We'll be leaving from south Dublin but can travel to the surrounding counties. Any suggestions would be a great help, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

What type of fishing? - Sea or river/lake?

You could have a go at Mack bashing in Dun Laoighre

Corkage Park for bait, float or fly fishing, two lakes and you can hire gear + there is a coffee shop

Greystones Pier with ragworm is throwing up flatties at pollock at the moment (handy tackle shop for bait near car park entrance)

Hire a boat and gear in Bullock harbor

Annamoe for either fly fishing or bait pond where she will definitely catch a fish (rainbow trout) within 10 minutes - rod and bait supplied for a fiver, pay for fish caught, I was up there with my son last weekend and it had just been stocked, we tend to go up there if he has had a blank stretch fishing elsewhere and he needs to catch a fish to keep the interest up. - coffee shop beside fly lake, you can also hire fly gear and get a quick intro.

Some friends from work who had never fished before went to Annamoe gave the fly fishing a lash, then popped down to the bait pond pulled out a couple of extra fish then has a barbie beside the lake - there is a place for cleaning fish and fixed barbies, picnic benched for just that purpose.

I know that there are other options out there but I would not under estimate the effectiveness of a fishery with a bait pond as a fall back to get her first fish, it could make a difference next time you want to get out!
    They are the main ones that are easy options

Advertisement