Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot get sort code for Canadian bank

Options
  • 28-07-2012 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Dave,

I am trying to set up my Canadian bank account as an international Payee so I can transfer funds from my BOI accuont to my Canadian account whilst I am over in Canada. Part of the information that I am being asked for is the sort code. I am told Canada don't have sort codes so I combined the transit code 01420 with the institute code 002 i.e. 01420002. As the field is mandatory I have to put something. Can you please advise on whether of not I have done the right thing and if not what should I do?
    This is rather urgent as I need to make transfers ASAP.

Many thanks,

Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

In the states they call it Routing Code, have a look at your bank statement should be on there. Assume it's the same in Canada.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Geezy wrote: »
    ... Part of the information that I am being asked for is the sort code. I am told Canada don't have sort codes ...
    Here you go bud - http://canada-banks-info.com/

Once set up I suggest you test it with a small transfer first rather than commit your Lotto wings to it untested. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

amber2 wrote: »
    In the states they call it Routing Code, have a look at your bank statement should be on there. Assume it's the same in Canada.

it's a transit code here

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Geezy

Thanks guys,

Yeah i think it might be the transit code.
    I have set this up so I will wait on my confirmaiton code in the post and let you all know if it worked.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Geezy,

Helix is correct, in Canada it is referred to as a transit code, you maybe best to do a small transaction first to make sure all the details are correct. If there is an issue please contact Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 or 000353 1 4044000.

I hope this helps
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
Advertisement