Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay is he all that

• 28-07-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Gay Byrne,
    As I have caught a few snippets of the late late show with Gay hosting,I am amazed at how arrogant and pompous he came accross to guests.
    I was a lot younger when he was hosting so never coped this.
    He seems to still think that he is dear old uncle Gaybo to the nation,whilst I admire he has survived so long on tv is he a bit delusional to the fact that he is not the nations favourite elder man on tv.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Sappa wrote: »
    Gay Byrne,
    As I have caught a few snippets of the late late show with Gay hosting,I am amazed at how arrogant and pompous he came accross to guests.
    I was a lot younger when he was hosting so never coped this.
    He seems to still think that he is dear old uncle Gaybo to the nation,whilst I admire he has survived so long on tv is he a bit delusional to the fact that he is not the nations favourite elder man on tv.
    Gay came from a time when everyone looked up to and were in simple awe of celebs politicans etc now only dumb and stupid people are. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Kick him in the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

The granny loved him.....All grannies loved him.He is from a bygone era when people thought priests were nice,politicians were honest and summers had sunshine.
    Now we know the truth,lots of priests were arrogant kiddie fiddlers,politicians are money grabbing self serving wh*res, the summer is rainy and Auntie Gaybo is a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

His stint as RSA media man has lost him all the respect I had for him before, the shite he spouts on their behalf is unending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

I have to say that as a show host/interviewer I also found him to be arrogant & pompous, couldn't stand him...

However I deal with him on a regular basis through my employment & have found him to be an absolute gentleman, willing to waffle for ages about his love of motorcycles, an interest we both share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Pompus jackeen gob****e, in short (literally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Have to agree with the OP, looking back he comes across as pompous, arrogant and condescending. Would he have had much competition for the nation's affections back then though I wonder?

As for the RSA thing, there was one major public blunder iirc, but their campaigns do seem to have the desired effect of bringing down the death toll on the roads. Is he still the public spokesperson for them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

On screen he could be obnoxious but in real life, he's capable of being a decent sod. I know some will find that hard to believe but thats life.
    Before I met the man to be absolutely honest, the only grasp of his personality I gained was from only the select images that were broadcast through a screen for a limited time, every Friday night.
    Sometimes such images were accurate, sometimes they weren't (and still aren't).

In the case of Gay Byrne, for me, all what I saw and heard on the screen as a teen, I found out later was not the image in my head I thought I knew to be, in real life.

Does he have faults? I'm sure many. Who don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Jason Todd wrote: »

As for the RSA thing, there was one major public blunder iirc, but their campaigns do seem to have the desired effect of bringing down the death toll on the roads. Is he still the public spokesperson for them?
    Nothing at all to do with the better roads ie motorways port tunnel nearly 250000 less drivers on the roads than 2008 of course and a solid drink driving campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He told myself & some friends to "Fuck off ye cunts" at the Rose Of Tralee once,because we didn't fawn over him like all the grannies were. I think telling him the Late Late was shit didn't help his demeanor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A lot of people thought Gay Byrne was irritating and a little fond of his own 'marvellousnessness' - That was until Pat 'Plank' Kenny and Ryan 'Lame, Smarm-Attack' Tubridy came along and made him look like an utterly Godlike figure by way of comparison.

Especially Tubridy, he is so utterly useless as an Interviewer, just tries to make himself look dapper and cool while failing in every way to engage with his guest - Even down to not listening to their answers cause he is reading his own next question - How he got in I can't fathom, why he is still there without any real support outside of RTE is completely fcuked up.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Nothing at all to do with the better roads ie motorways port tunnel nearly 250000 less drivers on the roads than 2008 of course and a solid drink driving campaign

Well sure... that too :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

prick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

zerks wrote: »
    He told myself & some friends to "Fuck off ye cunts" at the Rose Of Tralee once,because we didn't fawn over him like all the grannies were. I think telling him the Late Late was shit didn't help his demeanor.

Gaybo just went up in my estimation. Maybe he thought you were Mike Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭bhovaspack

He was fantastic at what he did, had great gravitas when dealing with serious subjects, and genuinely listened to what people had to say. So what if he didn't particularly indulge in false humility, he was ace, and he probably knew it too.

No one currently on Irish television comes within shouting distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Between the late 60s and late 80s, he would have been one of the best interviewers around and one of the few who could have kept a show as varied as the late late going.
    Doubt very much he would've had major TV networks in both the US and UK after him, if he hadn't been that good.
    Like anyone who gets fawned over for a long period of time, it did look like it was affecting his interview technique. But, who amongst us wouldn't be affected.
    Look at Jonathon Ross. Five minutes in the spotlight and he turned into a self important dick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Real Life wrote: »
    prick

Is YouTube down?

bhovaspack wrote: »
    He was fantastic at what he did, had great gravitas when dealing with serious subjects, and genuinely listened to what people had to say. So what if he didn't particularly indulge in false humility, he was ace, and he probably knew it too.

No one currently on Irish television comes within shouting distance.

Some people don't like him but I give him some credit, "him" being Vincent Brown.
    I think on an format like the Late Late, he'd stand a chance of giving some visiting guests a good run for their money! :pac:

...If they were brave enough to appear! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Ronin247 wrote: »
    The granny loved him.....All grannies loved him.He is from a bygone era when people thought priests were nice,politicians were honest and summers had sunshine.
    Now we know the truth,lots of priests were arrogant kiddie fiddlers,politicians are money grabbing self serving wh*res, the summer is rainy and Auntie Gaybo is a cnut.

My granny hated him after the Gerry Adams video. His own audience turned on him that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

My granny hated him after the Gerry Adams video. His own audience turned on him that day!

This. Incredible behaviour to invite a guest on and not shake his hand. Bad breeding, but what can one expect from the son of a member of the British Army? And don't even mention Byrne's egging on of Hugh Leonard and company (the YouTube video says it all). Adams became a hero to many that night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The responses to the OP make no sense. He accuses Gay of being arrogant to guests, and the responses are all saying people in the past took celebrity too seriously. Sounds like a contradiction, since Gay was arrogant to celebs too.

Modern chat shows fawn over the famous. Remember Norton and Madonna

And who cares about arrogance , you don't get to run a nationwide show being a shrinking violet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

A pompous,irritating little prick

You Tube is down!

You Tube is down!

Works for me.
    A test:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Seanchai wrote: »
    This. Incredible behaviour to invite a guest on and not shake his hand.

Agreed
    what can one expect from the son of a member of the British Army? And don't even mention Byrne's egging on of Hugh Leonard and company (the YouTube video says it all). Adams became a hero to many that night.

Gimme a break ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A pompous,irritating little prick

His treatment of Annie Murphy being a case in point.

You'll note he's finally stopped defending the christian brothers in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Like him or not but I rank him up there with Gerry Ryan and Bono. He must have been a liberal breath of fresh air in a stale conservative country decades ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gaybo just went up in my estimation. Maybe he thought you were Mike Murphy.

Maybe I am;).........Still don't like the condescending smarmy bollix.

Plus a 'national treasure' using language like that,it's shocking Joe,shocking.

Indeed Sinn Féin's popularity rating in the Republic increased significantly after the interview, with the Irish Examiner reporting that 70% of people held a favourable view of Adams after the show.

From wikipedia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Gay came from a time when everyone looked up to and were in simple awe of celebs politicans etc now only dumb and stupid people are. Simples.

As opposed to nowaways when everyone looks up to dumb and simple "celebs" and politicians.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

In fairness Tubridy makes Gaybo look like Paxman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nodin wrote: »
    His treatment of Annie Murphy being a case in point.

I still remember how angry myself and my parents were watching that interview. He treated that woman as if she was a piece of crap on his shoe, whilst extolling the virtues of his mate, the poor aul' misunderstood Bishop Casey.

Pompous doesn't even begin to describe the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I still remember how angry myself and my parents were watching that interview. He treated that woman as if she was a piece of crap on his shoe, whilst extolling the virtues of his mate, the poor aul' misunderstood Bishop Casey.

Pompous doesn't even begin to describe the man.

It was a particularily vile episode, particularily at the end with the 'if he's half the man his father is' or words along those lines.

ok, that interview was ****e. In general though he did take on Catholicism, half of all sermons in the 70s were anti-Late Late

I'm surprised no one mentioned the time a prize winner was called up and her daughter had just died.
    Gay tried to go on with the interview.

Can't find it on YT now.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised no one mentioned the time a prize winner was called up and her daughter had just died.
    Gay tried to go on with the interview.

Can't find it on YT now.

Greybo actually handled that quite well iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Gay is he all that

When I saw your thread I thought you were a homosexual chap looking for romantic advice. :D

Either way, there's plenty more fish in the sea....

Yamanoto wrote: »

All he had to say is I'm very sorry for your loss, my apologies for calling at this time, goodbye. Then he could say to the audience how terrible it was and in a few months send her on the prize.

Instead he was so full of himself that he tried to continue with the show and asked her to recount the story of her daughters death just hours previous.

All he had to say is I'm very sorry for your loss, my apologies for calling at this time, goodbye. Then he could say to the audience how terrible it was and in a few months send her on the prize.

Instead he was so full of himself that he tried to continue with the show and asked her to recount the story of her daughters death just hours previous.

Consensus on thread (prior to vid going private) was that he had handled it in quite a sympathetic manner. Some disagreed.

Also, the mother was insistent on being given the chance to answer the question.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75937973

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I didn't like it when he started getting very touchy feely with Imelda May and Sinead O'Connor on the late late 50th. Dirty old man..:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 MissyB71

zerks wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with an opinion but if you really said that to him then you just plain bad mannered. Gaybo was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Bad breeding, but what can one expect from the son of a member of the British Army?
    Jesus... John Graham; Thomas Clarke? Have you ever heard of these men?

His father also fought in the war of independence, which evidently is something keyboard warriors like you can dismiss without question.

Such ignorance. There are a lot of legitimate critcisms of Gay Byrne but his "breeding"?

Get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

Yes he is very arrogant and extremely pompous, but he would still be a infinitely better presenter of the Late Late Show than Tubridy even now(or Pat for that matter}. The show should have been killed when he retired.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Anyone remember the window cleaner on Who wants be a millionaire?

He got up to 8 grand or something and Gaybo says to him "How many windows would you have to clean to make that?"

What a complete and utter cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Yamanoto wrote: »

Agreed. I don't like the man, but he handled that remarkably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

I think of Gay as Ireland's answer to Terry Wogan. Or at least I did till I actually watched one of his programmes for the first time this was when we gained the RTE Player international and I was shocked at how wooden he seemed on his show interviewing celebrities about their faith.

I've seen other stuff since and he doesn't seem that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

H'okay

HUP
    HUP
    HUP
    HUP

And all that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭pauliewallie

Ronin247 wrote: »

This is my favorite post in my history of boards.ie

Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I heard a story of a neighbour of his whose daughter was getting married. Gay was invited anyway, the day comes and Gaybo arrives down for the afters, stays an hour or two then heads off.

A few days yer man gets a bill in the door for Gays 'appearance fee'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Gay is he all that

Next week... Punctuation. Friend or foe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement