Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay is he all that

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Sappa wrote: »
    Gay Byrne,
    As I have caught a few snippets of the late late show with Gay hosting,I am amazed at how arrogant and pompous he came accross to guests.
    I was a lot younger when he was hosting so never coped this.
    He seems to still think that he is dear old uncle Gaybo to the nation,whilst I admire he has survived so long on tv is he a bit delusional to the fact that he is not the nations favourite elder man on tv.

Gay Byrne apparently single handedly modernised this country. it was rural backwater before his late late show or so some commentators would have us believe.

he is a good broadcaster and he is full of myself. how many times is he going to retire and come back?

i loved the interview he did with grizzly Adams when the latter was allowed to speak on TV for the first time. he tried to ambush adams but failed miserably and ended up looking stupid just like when Tubs does the same with McGuinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

My granny hated him after the Gerry Adams video. His own audience turned on him that day!

Remember watching it at the time, Pivotal point in post section 31 Ireland that was

uncle gay, chicken curry, kermit kemmy and the rest left floundering as the tide turned

there was an incident on 'who wants to be a millionaire' when he asked the contestant how long it would take him to earn the amount he was possibly about to win. the contestant did not like it and it made byrne look very arrogant.

Bambi wrote: »
    Remember watching it at the time, Pivotal point in post section 31 Ireland that was

uncle gay, chicken curry, kermit kemmy and the rest left floundering as the tide turned

GERRY ADAMS IN FREE STATE AMBUSH PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxw4a0e_NmU

in fairness to greybo, using a plant in the audience he did expose Padraig Flynn as being a complete twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I hate him, patronizing git. I can't stand the sight of him on those saorview ads.

MJ23 wrote: »
    I hate him, patronizing git. I can't stand the sight of him on those saorview ads.

him or Craig Doyle, who is worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

He's a damn good albeit shnakey interviewer, but he shoulda bowed out 20 years ago and stayed out.
    Has an over-inflated view of his own importance.

He's a damn good albeit shnakey interviewer, but he shoulda bowed out 20 years ago and stayed out.
    Has an over-inflated view of his own importance.

he did bow out twenty years ago but lost all his lolly(again) and came back. himself and craig Doyle are everywhere you look, though greybo also hogs the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

UKJon wrote: »
    I think of Gay as Ireland's answer to Terry Wogan. .

Is Irelands answer to Terry Wogan not.....Terry Wogan?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

I used to like him but I changed my mind about him listening to him on his show on Lyric fm.

I love jazz music but Gay used this show as a platform to pontificate a lot of the time. A case in point would be his opinions on bad grammar and diction, which would be admirable were he not so arrogant about it. He loved to point out how he hates what he has dubbed "the soft Irish T" and peoples' other shortcomings in pronounciation. One Sunday, he had taken particular offence at hearing a newsreader or radio presenter (I can't remember which) say "newwwas" in a strong Dublin accent. He went on to insult this pronounciation and then said that the person in question would better be suited to a job as a bin man. How dare he belittle people in such a way!

He must have forgotten the roots of his beloved jazz has its roots in the working class of society. He must also have forgotten that bin men have radios too!:D Where would Gay be without someone who was willing to take his rubbish and dispose of it for him? Where would he be without all the humble housewives who made him all his money by tuning into his radio show every day? Society is like one of Gay's beloved jazz bands. Everyone has their role to play from top to bottom. Take away one person from either and the whole thing falls apart. We, all of us, are important in our own way. Shame on Gay to look down his toffee nose at someone like that. That of course is just one example. He is arrogant and self-important and doesn't try to hide it.

p.s. I thought he had retired? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

He is on my list with maggie thatcher ..... i start each day hoping for the good news that they have "passed".
    He is an self centered pompous git who for years has stood on a pedestal on high looking down on the "modern"Ireland he created with his show.

His work with the rsa continues this idea that gay is above reproach and somehow represents the Irish Public.
    He is a pain in the hole and i'm having party when the cnut dies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

barney 20v wrote: »
    He is on my list with maggie thatcher ..... i start each day hoping for the good news that they have "passed".

Dude, let it go... that ****'s not healthy :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Dude, let it go... that ****'s not healthy :o
    No.. i don't think i will dude.............

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

MJ23 wrote: »

Ah but the old codgers like him so they can feel that they're not getting ripped off with this saorview malarkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

a disgusting pompous little man who had his head stuck up the a*ses of the F F politicians and the clergy and nearly preached to the nation every week on how holy they should be and who they should be voting for.

a little sh*t.

When it came to "real" interviews tho, aka (G. Adams etc) he wasn't worth a curse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Fuinseog wrote: »
    him or Craig Doyle, who is worse?

Watch Gay presenting the Late Late.

Then watch Craig presenting Craig Doyle live.

Come back and tell us how you got on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Fuinseog wrote: »
    GERRY ADAMS IN FREE STATE AMBUSH PART 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxw4a0e_NmU

Interesting to watch again and note that the 5 contributors on the panel are effectively dead and their opinions with them. I think we can genuinely say we have moved on.
    Gaybo disgraces himself everytime he takes on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The current ubiquity of Gaybo today I would hazard a guess at, can be summed up in the old Larry Olivier line "Money, dear boy!"

I've never listened to his radio show or other media musings but from recalling his years on the late late, i can only surmise that he was incredibly good and professional at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

Is Irelands answer to Terry Wogan not.....Terry Wogan?:confused:
    I half said that for comic effect. I did get the impression that Gaybo holds the same sort of position in the Irish people's hearts as Terry does in British peoples.

Out of interest, who do the Irish rate more?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I half said that for comic effect. I did get the impression that Gaybo holds the same sort of position in the Irish people's hearts as Terry does in British peoples.

Out of interest, who do the Irish rate more?

Personally, Wogan. Gaybo is warm, but Wogan is wittier. Gay can make people feel relaxed, pull them out of their comfort zone and get them to talk, but he's not a natural entertainer. It's Wogan I'd want to be listening to. I only ever used to watch the Eurovision to hear his meanderings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

a disgusting pompous little man who had his head stuck up the a*ses of the F F politicians and the clergy and nearly preached to the nation every week on how holy they should be and who they should be voting for.

a little sh*t.

When it came to "real" interviews tho, aka (G. Adams etc) he wasn't worth a curse.

Sigh. It really depends on how old you are.

Yes he can be a pompous bollix, but this guy has been on the air for ~ 50 years FFS. What do you want Jesus? Budda?

I think the LLS under Byrne was a massive force of good and change for our country. If you look at the Ireland of 1967 and 1997 it was a radical change and he was at the forefront of chairing that change and debunking the system

For my money Gay Byrne is streets ahead of anyone else RTE has ever produced.

p.s. G Adams is uninterviewable because hes a robotic nordy liary cnut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Poor Gaybo has been trying to retire for the past 79 years - Never underestimate Irish State bodies tenacity and commitment to shovelling mountains cash at the Fcuker year after year for doing sweet fcuk all.

- As for his pronunciation snobbery, his radio advert with the cringe worthy "once again I find myself among the greats" or whatever it was for the museum of 'style icons' sounded excruciating - Like a poor elocution teacher on an acid overdose - I call Hypocrite!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

For some reason I thought this thread was gonna be about Tyson Gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Not really a fan tbh. I thought he was ok at the LLS in his day but otherwise I find him difficult to listen to.

He is totally wrong for Road Safety anyway. What does he know about it? And do they really think the people they are targeting will listen to a pompous old man?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

For many years known as the only man who took a piss sitting down. People have speculated on who he really is, he always struck me as a man who longed for the return of the castle catholic days.

He is totally wrong for Road Safety anyway. What does he know about it? And do they really think the people they are targeting will listen to a pompous old man?
    He has a reputation as a motorcycle enthusiast and, along with Garret, as a bit of a Grandfather of the Nation figure. He's also seen as being something of an expert in communication and the conveyance of ideas.

I'm not a massive fan of his personality, but overall, not an undeserved reputation, in my opinion. He's by no means some randomer chosen because he was friendly with a Minister, which is potentially what would have happened if Gaybo hadn't got the gig.

later12 wrote: »
    He has a reputation as a motorcycle enthusiast and, along with Garret, as a bit of a Grandfather of the Nation figure. He's also seen as being something of an expert in communication and the conveyance of ideas.

I'm not a massive fan of his personality, but overall, not an undeserved reputation, in my opinion. He's by no means some randomer chosen because he was friendly with a Minister, which is potentially what would have happened if Gaybo hadn't got the gig.

And do you think the boy racers being targeted by most RSA campaigns (rightly or wrongly) care what Gay has to say? I sincerely doubt it.

And do you think the boy racers being targeted by most RSA campaigns (rightly or wrongly) care what Gay has to say? I sincerely doubt it.
    No.

But Gay isn't the one talking directly to them.

He's a Chairman, not a voiceover. His is a task involving a reflective oversight of a group's activities; in the RSA's case that would particularly explain to communication, which is an area in which Byrne would be particularly experienced. I wouldn't be surprised if his fingerprints weren't all over the recent motorcycle campaign.

Fair enough. I guess I just don't see his great communication skills. If he was that good a communicator I don't think there would be so many negative opinions about him being condescending, pompous and out of touch.

• Advertisement

Not really a fan tbh. I thought he was ok at the LLS in his day but otherwise I find him difficult to listen to.

for years he was the man who pointed out what was wrong with this country. maybe someone thought he could put his theories into practice.

greybo is the voice of the elderly. nobody else remembers or cares about 'the bishop and the nightie' or any other way he apparently shaped modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 UKJon

I heard a story of a neighbour of his whose daughter was getting married. Gay was invited anyway, the day comes and Gaybo arrives down for the afters, stays an hour or two then heads off.

A few days yer man gets a bill in the door for Gays 'appearance fee'...
    I can't quite believe that's quite true somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I can't quite believe that's quite true somehow.
    believe it or believe it not, makes no difference to me, its second or third hand information coming to me, fourth hand to you, i'm just saying what i heard...

Wait, should this be in the 'stingy' thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Gaybo allways struck me as a symbol of everything that was corrupt and wrong in this country .
    He's like the media's version of a politician Thinks we all owe him a living and more jobs for the boys .
    Remember him on who wants to be a millionaire .
    Simon delaney & paddy Courtney where both contestants on that show ?

Ohh and Yeahhh he is a Cnut

Advertisement