Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Swords, living in Dublin

Options
  • 28-07-2012 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey all,

I'm moving to Dublin from tiny Holland at the beginning of September. I probably have to work in Swords but, as there are no cheap studio apartments in that city, I want to live in Northern Dublin (Drumcondra, Beaumont, Santry..). I was just wondering if more people take this commute every day. It seems that I have 2 choices: Bus route 41, which takes me to Swords but probably not to the business park where I need to go, plus that it's quite a long journey and I will probably have to catch the bus at around 6.45-7 (starting at 8) or biking.

At this moment I prefer the lastly mentioned because it will probably take less time and bring me exactly to where I need to be. I have done my research and found out that the cycle path is not too good, but being quite an experienced cyclist, I think I can overcome that challenge.

If anybody has any suggestions or experiences, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

You should check out the apartments in Holywell in Swords. We live there, in a house though, and it's a great location.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

What business park will you be working in? Those 41 buses or 41 variations cover all those business parks in swords. You would definately be within 5-10 mins walk of any business park or most likely dropped right outside.

How much are you willing to spend on accomadation? Do you want to live alone? Have you considered north or west of Swords, Malahide or Portmarnock have lovely beaches and are very nice parts of Dublin. Further north is Donabate, Rush or Skerries and are very nice places to live with cheaper rents. Of course if you are used to city living (coming from Holland!) then the places closer to the city you have mentioned will be more suitable but be prepared to spend more € for less space on rent.

Id say you should look at sharing a house/apartment if you want to save money on rent, and meet some people!

Check out the house share section on www.daft.ie.

Veel Succes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mog33

Thanks all! My monthly housing budget is about 400-500, and every location in North Dublin is alright to me. I'd rather live on my own, but for that budget there is nothing available in Swords (via Daft). I prefer to live in Dublin city, but if the other places get me in Swords faster, I would definitively consider.

The company is located at Swords Business Campus at Balheary Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

mog33 wrote: »
    Thanks all! My monthly housing budget is about 400-500, and every location in North Dublin is alright to me. I'd rather live on my own, but for that budget there is nothing available in Swords (via Daft). I prefer to live in Dublin city, but if the other places get me in Swords faster, I would definitively consider.

The company is located at Swords Business Campus at Balheary Road.

The company I work for is based in Swords Business Campus (SBC) although I don't work there myself. Its about a 5 min walk from the 41 bus route, the 41c used to serve it but I think thats not running anymore, maybe someone else could confirm this? SBC is well within cycling distance of Malahide, Portmarnock, Donabate, Santry or Portrane. If your considering renting a studio shoebox in the city, drumcondra or somewhere like that, its a long cycle to SBC!

If you could tolerate living with one other person in a 2 bed apartment you would get a much nicer place to live a lot closer to work and for less euro's.

Okay I'm definitely going to reconsider. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 s.elena

Hello! I will be relocating to Dublin as well and will be working in the Swords Business Park. I am thinking about living in the city centre and wondered whether anyone knows how long does the journey between Connolly and Swords Business Park take? I've learned that the line 43 goes directly to the Park, which is good. However, I've heard that bus journeys can be pain during the rush hour so would appreciate any insight!

Hi selena, I have done some research. If you get an apartment close to Malahide rd (43) or Drumcondra/Swords rd (41c/33), you're always close to the main bus lines to swords. I have found something about bus 33 which takes you from Drumcondra to Swords in about 30-40 minutes. I will probably live in Dublin, in Drumcondra or Santry, but it depends on what is available in about a month.

Advertisement