Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Betting scandal claim hits Team Ireland

• 28-07-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Here we go again. Another Olympics, another Irish scandal...

Betting scandal claim hits Team Ireland
    Allegations of a betting scandal haver broken within Team Ireland.According to the Irish Independent, OCI president Pat Hickey has confirmed that the organisation has received an allegation against one of the Team Ireland members.The OCI has sought legal advice on the matter and has since received a letter from the athlete’s solicitor in response.It is believed that the athlete is said to have placed two bets against themselves to win a competition, directly backing their opponent.

But I have full faith in Gombeen man Pat Hickey to sort it all out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Thank God for that, I thought the horses were taking smack again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

possibly a boxer - it must be a 1 versus 1 event as it is far easier to manipulate the betting, apparently s/he backed the opponent at 12/1 so s/he must be a strong favourite

i'd be shocked if it was katie as she strikes me as squeaky clean, my guess is it is one of more fancied male boxers, possibly john joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

donfers wrote: »
    possibly a boxer - it must be a 1 versus 1 event as it is far easier to manipulate the betting, apparently s/he backed the opponent at 12/1 so s/he must be a strong favourite

i'd be shocked if it was katie as she strikes me as squeaky clean, my guess is it is one of more fancied male boxers, possibly john joe

Whatever discipline it is, strokes like this are definitely not cricket!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Katie Taylor will earn a lot more than 3k if she wins gold, so losing even for that wouldn't make sense

It ain't her, not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Is it fair to speculate or mention peoples names?

After due process and proof I'd be all for naming and shaming but people's names and reputations aren't fair game until something is proven surely?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2BT

Surely Katie has never been beaten by a 12/1 shot??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whoever it is, they're a fcuking numpty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

No-way is it Taylor, she wouldn't get any odds, more than likely it's someone who had very little chance of a medal and had a soft first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

donfers wrote: »
    i'd be shocked if it was xxxx as she strikes me as squeaky clean, my guess is it is one of more fancied male boxers, possibly xxxxx

I think it is completely out of order to name people based on pure speculation and not a shred of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

How thick can this person be? He uses his own betting account to put money on his opponent! FFS, if he's going to do it properly then he should have gotten a trusted mate to open an account for him in the mate's name. The eejit deserves to be caught after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

It was in a competition before the Olympics and the money was won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But I have full faith in Gombeen man Pat Hickey to sort it all out.

.....why is pat hickey a "gombeen man"?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Asset management

They bet on their own online account - paddy power etc. Possibly athletics or equestrian. The athlete must have known something as 12/1 odds are very long and 300 euro is a big bet for those odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

They bet on their own online account - paddy power etc. Possibly athletics or equestrian. The athlete must have known something as 12/1 odds are very long and 300 euro is a big bet for those odds
    Rte said that money was put down on a direct opponent, I took it to mean that it's one of the one on one sports boxing,fencing, judo

The independent said the person backed an opponent to win gold in an event in which they were directly competing themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Nodin wrote: »
    .....why is pat hickey a "gombeen man"?

The man seems far more concerned with his own interests than in the interests of the Irish Olympians.. Like when he resigned from that task force earlier this year, when a contract was not given to his son.

Olympic council chief quits 2012 group citing lack of progress
    OLYMPIC COUNCIL of Ireland president Pat Hickey has resigned from a task force established to help Ireland capitalise on the staging of the 2012 Olympics in London.Mr Hickey cited the lack of progress in providing the world-class facilities that would entice teams to train here before going on to London.

It emerged at the weekend that Tourism Ireland had rejected a pitch by Mr Hickey’s son, Stephen, to provide up to €300,000 in funding for a proposed “Irish house” in London during the games.

The independent said the person backed an opponent to win gold in an event in which they were directly competing themselves!

I bet it wasnt Denis Lynch backing Cian O'Connor to win gold.. :pac:

Just heard on the RTE news there..

An anonymous accusation about a unnamed person, in a unspecified sport...

Ambiguous much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Is it fair to speculate or mention peoples names?

After due process and proof I'd be all for naming and shaming but people's names and reputations aren't fair game until something is proven surely?

That's no fun.

I think its only right to name names and event now as I could be betting on that event myself.

• Advertisement

I think its only right to name names and event now as I could be betting on that event myself.

If you name names, you could be defending yourself in court against defamation proceedings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If I qualified for say the table tennis, and noticed that the bookies had a value price about some up and coming Indian competitor at 12/1 I'd have no problem backing it.

However if the draw then pitched me against that Indian I'd still be doing my damnedest to actually win the game, because progessing as far as possible is obviously much much better.

I'd suspect its something as innocent as that which has happened (in whatever preOlympic event is being talked about).

But obviously its still open to 'OMG, hes backing against himself' headlines and interpretations from officials who don't actually understand betting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

If I qualified for say the table tennis, and noticed that the bookies had a value price about some up and coming Indian competitor at 12/1 I'd have no problem backing it.

However if the draw then pitched me against that Indian I'd still be doing my damnedest to actually win the game, because progessing as far as possible is obviously much much better.

I'd suspect its something as innocent as that which has happened (in whatever preOlympic event is being talked about).

But obviously its still open to 'OMG, hes backing against himself' headlines and interpretations from officials who don't actually understand betting.

Only issue with that analysis was that the bets placed were on two 12/1 shots. One bet stood to win over €3k. That's a decent wager by most people's standards

You're spot on. Only thing is a 300 euro bet on 12/1 seems a bit fishy!

Only issue with that analysis was that the bets placed were on two 12/1 shots. One bet stood to win over €3k. That's a decent wager by most people's standards
    You're spot on. Only thing is a 300 euro bet on 12/1 seems a bit fishy!

€300 may or may not be a lot of money to the person in question.

But theres no doubt it looks bad, which is why most sports discourage it, even ban it.
    Even if its something as innocent as a Rochdale player backing Chelsea to win the Premier League, events can conspire to suddenly make it look potentially dodgy.

You might not have a problem betting against yourself, but almost all Sporting Regulators, including the IOC, do not allow it. You would be heavily sanctioned.

If these allegations are true then whoever placed the bets is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Just heard on the RTE news there..

An anonymous accusation about a unnamed person, in a unspecified sport...

Ambiguous much?

Especially coming from JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »
    You might not have a problem betting against yourself, but almost all Sporting Regulators, including the IOC, do not allow it. You would be heavily sanctioned.

I agree, as I just clarified in the post above you. :P

However the assumption thats its automatically corrupt and leads to 'betting scandal' headlines is imo unfair.

Because the people who are doing it for truly corrupt reasons will do it anyway but via 3rd parties.

But yeah, if they've broken the rules then they've broken the rules.

I agree, as I just clarified in the post above you. :P

However the assumption thats its automatically corrupt and leads to 'betting scandal' headlines is imo unfair.

Because the people who are doing it for truly corrupt reasons will do it anyway but via 3rd parties.

But yeah, if they've broken the rules then they've broken the rules.

But if its true then it is a betting scandal. It is against the rules to do it and on the eve of the huge event that is the London Olympics, one of our athletes breaks the rules like this? Of course it is a betting scandal.

• Advertisement

But if its true then it is a betting scandal. It is against the rules to do it and on the eve of the huge event that is the London Olympics, one of our athletes breaks the rules like this? Of course it is a betting scandal.

I guess thats where we disagree then, I reserve the word 'scandal' for serious things that are actually scandalous, and consider this a minor thing.
    But I understand the non-gambling majority will see it different.

I guess thats where we disagree then, I reserve the word 'scandal' for serious things that are actually scandalous, and consider this a minor thing.

I am a gambler. I agree we arent talking about Watergate. But if you watch sport and get the ethos behind any sporting competition, then you'll understand why it is 100% wrong to bet against yourself on the eve of competition. Think of all the hell athletes put themselves through to get to this point. Think of our gymnast Behan and his heroic struggles. Then think of an athlete betting on himself/herself not to win. Scandalous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

.[/QUOTE]

But I understand the non-gambling majority will see it different.[/Quote]

Of course it's a scandal. He or she knew exactly what they were at and foolishly placed the bet themselves. They knew it was not allowed.
    You reckon that non gambling folk will be calling it a scandal, I reckon that you are not or ever were much of a sportsman if you are not calling it a scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If it emerges that he/she faced the person in a 1 on 1 match, it would indeed be scandalous. So far however, we've no idea of the discipline involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mickey1979

some prick in a betting company is the source. Olympic spirit a joke give poxy grants and then expect the skint athlete not to try make a few quid so he can survive and make the Olympics.

mickey1979 wrote: »
    some prick in a betting company is the source. Olympic spirit a joke give poxy grants and then expect the skint athlete not to try make a few quid so he can survive and make the Olympics.

Why is he a prick??? He saw something that was not right and exposed it ffs.
    If he wanted to make the bet he could have asked his dad/ mate however he did it himself. What a fool .. He's caught out now .. He'll be making less money from his profession as a result of his stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

hawkelady wrote: »
    If he wanted to make the bet he could have asked his dad/ mate however he did it himself. What a fool .. He's caught out now .. He'll be making less money from his profession as a result of his stupidity

A clever person would of said nothing and lumped on.

Sounds like somebody in their IT department with too much time on their hands. He might be worried if a complaint is made to the Data Protection Commissioner about his employers.

Sounds like somebody in their IT department with too much time on their hands. He might be worried if a complaint is made to the Data Protection Commissioner about his employers.

True that , never thought of that.. Are we 100% that the story came about through those channels??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Sail away sail away sail awaaaay

Its the hurdler Derval O'Rourkes fella

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bet-claims-made-out-of-vengeance-olympian-3182659.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Sailing is not a real sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Show Time wrote: »
    Sailing is not a real sport.

but still a sport none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

What a load of crap! it is the silly season alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't know if its been mention already but as regards these bets that making all a fuss suddenly now:
    The Sunday Times understands the alleged bets were made four years ago prior to the Beijing Olympics but only came to light last week following an anonymous tip-off to the OCI.
    LINK

I suspect something more fishy is going on here.
    Someone has it in for someone else for some reason?
    Gary O’Toole, who represented Ireland at the Seoul and Barcelona games, said the OCI should not have followed up on the anonymous allegation at the start of the most important event in the lives of Ireland’s elite athletes.

“You have to be suspicious of anonymous emails that are sent on the eve of the biggest competition,” he said. “It’s just someone who is trying to stir up trouble for whomever it’s aimed at and I think that’s unfortunate. It seems like a terrible waste of time and effort and an emotional drain on the person or people involved.”

Never trusted that O'Leary fella. Maybe this is the excuse Derval needs to drop his ass!

Never trusted that O'Leary fella. Maybe this is the excuse Derval needs to drop his ass!

Its embarrassing for her isn't it.

Someone must really have a chip on their shoulder or a out to get a person involved, if they have to dig up an over four year old bet hours just before the games started.
    They could have been harbouring their pettiness for all that time. If so, they are very sad people!

Biggins wrote: »
    Someone must really have a chip on their shoulder or a out to get a person involved, if they have to dig up an over four year old bet hours just before the games started.
    They could have been harbouring their pettiness for all that time. If so, they are very sad people!

someone could have just put 2 and 2 together also - its all very strange, i wonder if it was the person who worked in Boylesports and spotted it and went to the OIC, or a third party...

can't say i feel much pity for him - very stupid thing to do

Biggins wrote: »

It sold a few extra papers anyway!

Pantsface wrote: »
    someone could have just put 2 and 2 together also - its all very strange, i wonder if it was the person who worked in Boylesports and spotted it and went to the OIC, or a third party...

can't say i feel much pity for him - very stupid thing to do

I'd say the owner(s) of Boylesports are not too impressed either that someone is leaking their data!
    Wouldn't surprise me if we were to hear later that they are holding their own internal inquiry.

A four year old bet.. So weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement