Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on first Harley

Options
  • 28-07-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I've had a VFR800 for the past 14 years. It's time for a change so I am thinking of buying a Harley. My budget is a max of €10k. Use would be purely leisure and trips would be short so I don't need a big tourer. I was thinking of a Sportster 883 (maybe 2007 for around €5k) but I have no experience of Harleys. I have a few questions:

1. Am I likely to get bored with the Sportster after a short period so should aim for one of the bigger bikes?

2. Is the Sportster 1200 a better bet than the 883

3. How do Harley owners view the Sportster? Is it like "the poor man's porche" syndrome.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Your best bet is to get on to the Harley dealerships, as each person will have an individual opinion your better off getting the information from lads who have riden different types of harleys as most people once they get one rarelytrade up for a different model, on a personal note uve got me seething with jealousy:mad: lol always been a dream of mineto have a Harley so the very best of luck with your new purchase hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

BizAngel wrote: »
    I've had a VFR800 for the past 14 years. It's time for a change so I am thinking of buying a Harley. My budget is a max of €10k. Use would be purely leisure and trips would be short so I don't need a big tourer. I was thinking of a Sportster 883 (maybe 2007 for around €5k) but I have no experience of Harleys. I have a few questions:

1. Am I likely to get bored with the Sportster after a short period so should aim for one of the bigger bikes?

3. How do Harley owners view the Sportster? Is it like "the poor man's porche" syndrome.

Why worry about what Harley riders think when you're alienating your self from proper bikers ;-)

Harley 's are so customizable that even if you start with the cheapest you can personalise and spec it as good as you want.

Take a few for a test ride to see what suits you. Then buy what you like not somebody you don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »

Why worry about what Harley riders think when you're alienating your self from proper bikers ;-)

Harley 's are so customizable that even if you start with the cheapest you can personalise and spec it as good as you want.

Take a few for a test ride to see what suits you. Then buy what you like not somebody you don't know.

After many years on BMW's, from K to RT to GS to F, over 20 machines, I finally bought a Harley in 07....and I love it. Unlike the BeeEmm's ...I see no reason to change it, and have found it more fun, cheaper to run, and more reliable as well. I use it every day, hail, rain, sleet or snow, as my everyday transport.

As you're used to a good bike, a VFR, I think you should avoid the Sportster completely. They are agricultural, and slow. Suspension is crude too.

Get a Big Twin. Loads around, and much better.

I test rode 5 Harleys before buying, and couldn't tell one model from another, but I quickly came to the conclusion that it had to be a rubber mounted engine model. I loved the look of the Fatboy, but the Heritage Softail drove much nicer - the difference being that the Fatboy had tge solid mount. So a Road King Custom is what I ended up with- kinda Fatboy looks, but without all the frilly studs and tassels that I'm not a fan of.

I've added very little to it, bar a TomTom and quick release screen, which improved the bike no end.

I'd be really tempted to add a Glide to the collection, tbh.....cos the Harley thing has been such a good experience.

I don't know where you're based, but I'd be happy to show you mine if you want a good look at one without a salesman breathing down your neck.

Despite it's size, it's very easy to ride, great at low speed and in traffic- better than the BeeEmm's in fact.

Any questions, just ask.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Advice on buying a Hardly? Don't :)

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Advice on buying a Hardly? Don't :)

....don't knock it 'til you've tried it, otherwise you're just...... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Haven't tried a tractor either but I know I wouldn't want one :)

[reQuote=KamiKazi;79964045]Haven't tried a tractor either but I know I wouldn't want one :)[/Quote]

Having worked on Jap bikes for a living, and
    recently sold my Gixxer 750 and bought an SV650S, you don't see me slagging your choice of ride, so why do you feel the need to ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

OP, you're saying you're willing to spend €10,000 on a bike and leave it sitting in the garage the majority of the time? Personally, I think that is madness! If I was spending €10,000 on a bike, and I will be within the next 2 weeks on my new duke, I'd want to be out on it everyday letting it breath, and I will be within the next 2 weeks once I get my new duke.

If you're set on a harley, Lenny in HD Waterford is supposedly a fair man to deal with and has a good selection of bikes there and he's in the business years.

OP, you're saying you're willing to spend €10,000 on a bike and leave it sitting in the garage the majority of the time? Personally, I think that is madness! If I was spending €10,000 on a bike, and I will be within the next 2 weeks on my new duke, I'd want to be out on it everyday letting it breath, and I will be within the next 2 weeks once I get my new duke.

If you're set on a harley, Lenny in HD Waterford is supposedly a fair man to deal with and has a good selection of bikes there and he's in the business years.

If OP only uses it once in a blue moon us fine by me, its his choice. But try them and who knows, you might not even like them !

Hmmmm, Pixiebean, I'd love a KTM too, one zooms past my door most Sundays.....sounds fab......

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It seems a strange transition to go from possibly the smoothest V to one of those reputed to be one of the roughest and also, plastic to chrome?

I always fancied the look of Harleys but the one time I rode one I was utterly disappointed, the one time I rode a VFR750 I fell in love, if only I had the cash to follow through after the test ride.

Test ride loads of them, only you will know the right one, the joy of riding a bike is all in the feel and nobody can advise you on that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

galwaytt wrote: »
    If OP only uses it once in a blue moon us fine by me, its his choice. But try them and add-on you might not even like them !

Hmmmm, Pixiebean, I'd love a KTM too, one zooms past my door most Sundays.....sounds fab......

Ah sure I know, just wouldn't be for me to spend that amount of money and not drive it. I have a second bike that I only drive once in a blue moon and it was bought for €900 :P

Yep, can't wait. 4 months on crutches, that first ride will be heaven :D

Cedrus wrote: »
    It seems a strange transition to go from possibly the smoothest Vs to one of those reputed to be one of the roughest and also, plastic to chrome?

I always fancied the look of Harleys but the one time I rode one I was utterly disappointed, the one time I rode a VFR750 I fell in love, if only I had the cash to follow through after the test ride.

Test ride loads of them, only you will know the right one, the joy of riding a bike is all in the feel and nobody can advise you on that.

Tbh, the modern rubber-mounted Big Twins are remarkably smooth. Considering EACH Piston is the size of an entire VFR engine, they're quite good.......

Big Jap cruiser would be somewhere in between....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BizAngel

With 3 boys under 12 I'm lucky to get out on the bikes at all. Thanks for the recoimmendation...

war_child wrote: »
    Your best bet is to get on to the Harley dealerships, as each person will have an individual opinion your better off getting the information from lads who have riden different types of harleys as most people once they get one rarelytrade up for a different model, on a personal note uve got me seething with jealousy:mad: lol always been a dream of mineto have a Harley so the very best of luck with your new purchase hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it :)

As i stated above lad every person has an opinion ha ha ha i must be psychic or maybe its just the world we live in now.

In this regard i stand by my earlier statement , get info from the lads in the know , tell them your ridin style and the lad in HD Waterford is very reputable im sure he could help ya out. If ya do get one stick a pic up so we can all guffaaawww at it, regardless of Harley V sports tourer , there still a hell of a sweet lookin machine.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Haven't tried a tractor either but I know I wouldn't want one :)

Tractors are class I bet, ye can hold up traffic for miles and laugh maniacally as they go past

Just have your collie in the seat with ya so if anyone gets too close he can nip their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you do get a HARLEY just make sure you nod at the riff raff on EVERY OTHER BIKE and dont be stuck up.

With 3 boys under 12 I'm lucky to get out on the bikes at all. Thanks for the recoimmendation...

Well my 9 yr old started going out on the bike with me this year, so there's lots to look forward to. :)

Ode To The Motorist

I got a nod from a Harley rider yesterday woohoo me lol some nice bikes out on the road yesterday evening beautiful SV dusted me comin up the slieverue road lovely sounding machine, stopped off at the garage for some smokes and 2 lads full race colours ridin an R1 and a Blade pulled in beside me , got talking over a cup of garage tea they were just on there way back from New Ross shared a smoke and a chat , then we were on our merry way Sunday ridin if godmade anything sweeter he kept the sh1t for himself ...respect to all the lads i saw yeaterday evening , keep the shiny side up :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 V!PER

Harley bikes can be very nice TBH, haters gonna hate. I have seen some beautiful examples while on holidays in texas last year.

• Advertisement

@kamikazi.....thats just utterly brilliant . Harley left for dust had a good ole giggle at that cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That was my biggest fear in the Alps, some local kicking my @ss on a heap:D Seem some crazy overtakes by bikes and cars on some well dodgy corners
    V!PER wrote: »
    haters gonna hate.

A come on it's only a bit of fun, we're all bikers here.

Apart from them BM riders:p

Bah humbug at them BM riders , SoCo OMG crowd , Dawdys got a Beemer Fintan lmao :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 V!PER

Typical on here all the same, knobs bashing harleys and they never even owned one. Fair enough saying you dont like them....but slating them is just brain dead when they never even started one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

V!PER wrote: »
    Typical on here all the same, knobs bashing harleys and they never even owned one. Fair enough saying you dont like them....but slating them is just brain dead when they never even started one up!

tis only a bit of banter

reckon most of the slagging is to get a rise outta folk.. american biking scene slags the jap crotch rockets, and britain/ireland slag the massey fergusons

dont matter what ya ride, we're all mates really :hug:

cept the BM's, course

Its just friendly ribbin Viper , every person here has a different bike but thats the operative word BIKE, so fret not have a coke and a smile and go out and bash a Beemer rider ahhhh instant bliss .most lads here are sound and enjoy a good debate , but watch out for the war child fella hes a gob****e lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Definitely get in touch with Waterford HD and try out a few for size. Sportsters are good starter bikes if youre a biking noob but they are cramped and crude especially for riders over 6 foot. (My opinion. My GF had an 883 and loved it.)
    Look at the classifieds as well.Plenty of bargains to be had.
    Any Harley produced in the last 15 years that has been properly maintained is as reliable as any other manufacturer. Aim to get the lowest mileage,youngest bike you can afford and dont be swayed by bolt on chrome crap or eagle related accessories. Things like racks,luggage etc. are obviously a plus point but shouldnt be a reason to buy a sh1theap. Lots of those around too! A "cheap" bike will break you in the end.
    My recommendation for a first time Big Twin owner is a Dyna. The Street Bob is great value in a compact good handling package. €14.5k new so a two year old low mileage one for under €10k is what youre looking at.
    EDIT.2010 superglide on Done Deal for €9.5k. Great value.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3668283

....LOL, that's fab ! Which must mean, I'm elected: I've a PX125 in the garage as well !! :D:D
    Now, I'd love to ride that road, wherever it is.........and give it a thrash on my AA500...

That Dyna is good value alright.

And you're right about frilly chrome'n'stuff - I took stuff OFF mine, including the Screamin' Eagle pipes - noisey to the point of obnoxious, and the quality of so much after-market HD stuff is shoite. Fine, for Florida, but it rusts here just looking at it. It reminds me of 70's quality Jap chrome front mudgaurds............remember them ?

I got a set of std pipes, new, unused, for free, from a shop: no-one wants them. And the quality of OEM is much, much better.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement