Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Unaccounted for on New ASUS x54c Laptop

• 28-07-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi All,

I recently bought a new Laptop. Its an ASUS X54C. To be honest its a decent model at a great price. It has everything I need.

However, on the C Drive there is 80GB unaccounted for. It simply says this amount of memory is used up. I have searched through all the drives and am unable to see what this would relate to. I havent backed anything up yet so I dont believe this would be the reason either. Would anybody have a clue how I could recover this 80GB????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Check the system restore if is configured correctly.
    If this is the case ,just remove system restore points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

nate19841 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I recently bought a new Laptop. Its an ASUS X54C. To be honest its a decent model at a great price. It has everything I need.

However, on the C Drive there is 80GB unaccounted for. It simply says this amount of memory is used up. I have searched through all the drives and am unable to see what this would relate to. I havent backed anything up yet so I dont believe this would be the reason either. Would anybody have a clue how I could recover this 80GB????

If it's new, it could be partially a recovery partition. On my old laptop, the recovery partition was visible and took up half the hard drive, on my new one, it is hidden but only takes up 20GB...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

google, download and run the utility windirstat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

nate19841 wrote: »
    Hi All,

What size is the drive?
    These two quotes (copied from the web) may go to explaining some of it, the rest is probably your recovery partition which could be 20GB.
    Hard drive manufacturers specify capacity in power of 10^3 bytes (1000), rather than 2^10 bytes (1024).

This means you get a large gap between the GB specified by the HDD manufacturers & the actual capacity.

The higher you go, the larger the difference ....

1MB=4.5% less
    1GB =9% less
    1TB =13% less
    And this
    I always figure .93% of the drive manufacturers rated capacity is what you'll have after formating the drive
    because advertising a drives larger size is just a marketing gimmick. Which one would you think the average
    non technical informed Joe schmoe would be more interested in buying, a drive advertised as 1TB or the same
    drive advertised as 930GB remember advertised size sells the bigger the better.

120GB x .93% = 111GB
    250GB x .93% = 232GB
    300GB x .93% = 279GB
    500GB x .93% = 465GB
    750GB x .93% = 697GB
    1000GB or 1 TB x .93% = 930GB

Advertisement