Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Visa

Options
  • 28-07-2012 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I had this problem years ago when I sponsored a tourist visa.
    The Irish tourist visa states that the visitor can stay 3 months .
    A flight is booked the return flight is 2 months after arrival.
    On arrival in the airport the immigration can stamp the visa that the stay is only a week. This leaves the visitor with the option to book a one way flight or overstay. There is still no exit stamp on the passport .
    Anyone had this problem ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

happened to my husband when he came to Ireland on a business visa. He was originally granted a 90 day visa, but the immigration officer decided that 45 days was plenty. He was here for a number of conventions, spread out over the 60 days mths, so ended up going into Burgh Quay and requesting the full 90 days, which he got.

They do tell you that even being granted a visa is not guarantee - the final decision lies with the immigration officer at the boarder on the day. If he/she feels there is any issue, they may well give a 1 week visa. I imagine this is usually because they cannot (or will not) fully investigate your case there and then. So by giving you 1 week, if you really want to stay you can head into Burgh Quay and queue and then its not their problem.

You can book one way but I would not recommend it - you have more chance of getting your visa granted in the first place and extended if need be if you have a return flight. Also, you need to make sure you have funds to cover you from arrival to departure - if immigration feels you only have enough money for 1 week, then you will only be allowed to stay one week.

I would never recommend overstaying. At the end of the day, it is up to immigration how long you can stay for - if you don't like the decision, go to Burgh Quay, and see if you can get an extension. If you can't then leave. Otherwise you might never get another visa. There is no entitlement to be allowed to stay as long as you like, its the immigrations decision as to how long you can stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 manic12

Thanks for the reply.
    Seems this happens on a regular basis.I know of one person who got a week stamped on the passport.This person sought asylum to remain here !

I guess I need to ask INIS is there any uniform time given to remain on a tourist visa , not just the whim of a busy immigration officer .
    The cosy of changing the return flight date is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

manic12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Seems this happens on a regular basis.I know of one person who got a week stamped on the passport.This person sought asylum to remain here !

I guess I need to ask INIS is there any uniform time given to remain on a tourist visa , not just the whim of a busy immigration officer .
    The cosy of changing the return flight date is expensive.

I can tell you now that there is no uniform time given - there is a maximum limit of 90 days but no minimum. It is ultimately down to the immigration officer on the day.

If you are only given 1 week, don't argue the case in the airport - just head straight for burgh quay. Have proof of your return flight with you, make sure you have proof of accommodation, money to support yourself (bank statement/credit card etc) and health/travel insurance.

Advertisement