Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraud query...

Options
  • 28-07-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Just wondering if i can get some feedback from others who may have gone through something similar. basically i recently found out that my credit card was compromised. I noticed somebody had paid for a flight online for €500 and the next day for €300 so i rang up the card company. They have cancelled the card and are sending it to the fraud department,all fine and dandy. Im sure i will get sorted and wont have to pay this.

I was just wondering though, how did these assholes get my details. It hasnt come out of my wallet for years, i use it very very rarely and when i do its for flights online. The only time it came out of my pocket was to hand it over to a hotel clerk to pay for our rooms two months ago. Could she have scanned it or something?

I highly doubt my personal pc is hacked as im well up to date with spyware etc.. so i just cant think of how it got compromised. I did hear that some company that deals with the payments for visa got hacked earliar this year and they got hold of card details...maybe it was there? id love to know how i got caught and by who, do the fraud department inform you of this or do they just go and do there own thing and dont bother keeping the victim of the crime up to speed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How long is a piece of string? Unfortunately it's a case of you might never know where or how. Sometimes people are fortunate enough to be able to pain it down due toa card only being used for specific things or times etc, but otherwise it can be practically impossible to figure out.

Advertisement