Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a football club

Options
  • 28-07-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone just looking for a bit if help.
    I want to play football this season but I don't know what clubs in Waterford have a suitable team. Preferably I'd like the club to be in or close to the city. Mainly it's for fitness, I'm not looking to play Premier, ideally it would be third division. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Me too actually, had planned to join a team for the coming season, one of the many reasons I gave up the smokes, but have been carrying an injury for the last few weeks so am way behind on my fitness.

I'm not looking for anything serious (this is starting to sound like a personal ad, lol) just a bit of craic with others who don't take football too serious. I like to win, don't get me wrong, but too many people think they should be playing like Barcelona on pitches that may as well be bogs!

Likewise, if ye need someone else, I'd sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Me too actually, had planned to join a team for the coming season, one of the many reasons I gave up the smokes, but have been carrying an injury for the last few weeks so am way behind on my fitness.

I'm not looking for anything serious (this is starting to sound like a personal ad, lol) just a bit of craic with others who don't take football too serious. I like to win, don't get me wrong, but too many people think they should be playing like Barcelona on pitches that may as well be bogs!

Likewise, if ye need someone else, I'd sign up!

Ye same but it's pretty tough finding a club that has that kind of team whose squad isn't already full.

I was hoping some people in the know might tell me if there are any clubs about with a not too serious team with space in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

You shouldn't have any bother finding a team in either of the floodlight leagues. It would be as simple as contacting the league and asking are any of the teams looking for a player. It's not for everyone mind, there can be some late tackles and simply awful refereeing decisions but you would definitely get a team

ziedth wrote: »
    You shouldn't have any bother finding a team in either of the floodlight leagues. It would be as simple as contacting the league and asking are any of the teams looking for a player. It's not for everyone mind, there can be some late tackles and simply awful refereeing decisions but you would definitely get a team

Preferably I'd like a team that also trains every week but if that isn't possible then of be interested in the floodlight leagues. Where are they played and when does the season begin?

To be honest I wouldn't be 100% up on it anymore but the used to play one night per week mon-fri out by the hospital but they might have moved to king Fisher. I think the league starts in the coming weeks too.

If someone doesn't come on here giving ya more or better details ill pm you a email address of a guy who will fully bring you up to speed.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't be 100% up on it anymore but the used to play one night per week mon-fri out by the hospital but they might have moved to king Fisher. I think the league starts in the coming weeks too.

If someone doesn't come on here giving ya more or better details ill pm you a email address of a guy who will fully bring you up to speed.

Thanks mate, I would definitely be interested in the league at Kingfisher. The one in the new WIT ground might be a bit too far for me.

http://www.floodlitsoccer.com/

They are indeed playing in Kingfisher, If you email them the chaps name is Kevin (he's sound as a pound) just ask him and I'm sure he'll sort you out if he can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

We have entered a team in the div 2a down in bohs. We have a squad already but are on the lookout for one or two players who might be able to make a difference. If u think you can come down training with us on Monday night 7:30. We train on the pitch opposite Woodies DIY on the cork rd. we do take things serious but we also have fun doing it. Sure pop along and have a look to see if ur interested or up for it.

cococoady wrote: »
    We have entered a team in the div 2a down in bohs. We have a squad already but are on the lookout for one or two players who might be able to make a difference. If u think you can come down training with us on Monday night 7:30. We train on the pitch opposite Woodies DIY on the cork rd. we do take things serious but we also have fun doing it. Sure pop along and have a look to see if ur interested or up for it.

Ye mate that would be perfect, I'll be along Monday. Thanks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I am not much good but would love to train and possibly play with a division 3 team if there is one looking for a player.

• Advertisement

deisedave wrote: »
    I am not much good but would love to train and possibly play with a division 3 team if there is one looking for a player.

Really selling urself well there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

While the subject is raised I guess this is the best place to ask where is the best club to start my 6yr old off playing ? He loves playing ball and has kind of lost interest in hurling so I promised him id bring him to a club but I'm not sure which one I should choose , any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I am just looking for a team for a bit of fun, dont really car if I dont even get my game. Obviously I will give it 100% but I am not the best player in the world but I would not be a total noob ;)

deisedave wrote: »

I am just looking for a team for a bit of fun, dont really car if I dont even get my game. Obviously I will give it 100% but I am not the best player in the world but I would not be a total noob ;)
    There is a Facebook group "discussion group for local Waterford soccer scene" (well something like that). Post up on that and see.
    Or even if ya want to come down and train with us. If ur good enough ya might even get a game :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

jo06555 wrote: »
    While the subject is raised I guess this is the best place to ask where is the best club to start my 6yr old off playing ? He loves playing ball and has kind of lost interest in hurling so I promised him id bring him to a club but I'm not sure which one I should choose , any advice?

Villa Academy Saturday mornings Newtown ,Finished for the summer but will be starting back up end of August -Start of September could /would be a good place to start ,Kids teams/training range from 5 to 10 year olds ,

Advertisement