Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hurt upper leg/elbow - what to do?

• 28-07-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

My dog hurt her leg last night. She is not in any pain. She hasn't an overly big limp but she seems to be minding it in a small way. She can walk and run OK.

She can jump up on to the couch but takes care coming back down (before she would jump off no problem.)

She has pain when I move her elbow.

I thought I would leave it till Monday, hoping that rest will heal it. If not I'll take her to the vets. What will they do? An injection for pain, maybe?

Is there a chance that she has a muscle/ligament problem? If so what happens then?

Just hope it is nothing long term.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Get her to the vet to be safe and restrict her in the meantime. Dogs are very good at hiding their pain - my guy walked out of the vets 5 hours after having surgery - a wedge of bone cut out and the bone ends held in place with pins and a plate and his tail wagging the whole time because I'd come to get him! :rolleyes:

EDIT and btw rest means complete rest in a crate if you have one and no jumping on and off the couch(!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks tk123 for that. I'll make sure she rests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Is this a back leg? If so could be the cruciate and they rarely show pain if it's ruptured so I'd advise a vet trip and keep them crated until you do.

Thanks andreac, it's the front right leg - seems to be around the elbow.

I will go to the vet on Monday.

I toke Kelly to the vet's this morning.

Seems she has strained the ligaments in her shoulder. The vet found some resistance when checking it out.

She got an injection for pain and anti-inflam's for the rest of the week.

I am keeping her in a crate/kennel to ensure she rests.

The vet compared it to damaging the ligaments in your ankle. (This actually happened to me years ago and it can't be operated on.)

I wonder if the rest/tablets don't work this week, what is the next option? (forgot to ask the vet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

paultf wrote: »
    I toke Kelly to the vet's this morning.

Seems she has strained the ligaments in her shoulder. The vet found some resistance when checking it out.

She got an injection for pain and anti-inflam's for the rest of the week.

I am keeping her in a crate/kennel to ensure she rests.

The vet compared it to damaging the ligaments in your ankle. (This actually happened to me years ago and it can't be operated on.)

I wonder if the rest/tablets don't work this week, what is the next option? (forgot to ask the vet)

Same thing happened to my parents' dog, she has been to vet 3 times since September with it, every time the vet gives anti-inflamms and rest. She is grand after it but then it reoccurs after a few months. If it happens again they are going to get her xrayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tbh I'd just concentrate on resting her and try not to worry about what might happen - which i know is easier said than done! You'd be surprised how much difference the rest and anti-inflams will make - my guy got hurt after his first op and his leg swelled up and he went lame - the vet took him in straight away for X-rays she was that worried thinking a pin had come loose but all he needed was rest. Just be careful she doesn't trick you into thinking she's grand when the medicine kicks in! ;)

Thanks all for the advice.

Hopefully the rest will do the trick. Kelly is 2 years old and is full of life. As a pup she hated the crate so I am surprised that she isn't kicking up more fuss. She is a lovely gentle dog but she doesn't know what is going on!

I bring her on the lead to the back garden to go the toilet. Yet she still catches me out as she is full of energy. There was a moment yesterday where she caught her bad leg and she was limping again. I suppose that is why I am thinking ahead - just in case. The vet told me to rest her for 5 days. I just hope it will mend quickly.

Advertisement