Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC v Magnet

• 28-07-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice, at the moment I've got UPC basic digital t.v, phone and 30mg broadband (even though it's only showing at around 18 on a speed test).
    I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of upc altogether, I've got freesat and saorview set up, so I dont need the t.v service and I could do without a land line, the only dilemma is the broadband.
    Magnet looks like the most comparable, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak, would magnets broadband be as good as UPC's? any input would be appriciated.

Thanks.

Comments

Hi Folks,

Looking for a bit of advice, at the moment I've got UPC basic digital t.v, phone and 30mg broadband (even though it's only showing at around 18 on a speed test).
    I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of upc altogether, I've got freesat and saorview set up, so I dont need the t.v service and I could do without a land line, the only dilemma is the broadband.
    Magnet looks like the most comparable, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak, would magnets broadband be as goog as UPC's? any input would be appriciated.

Thanks.
    It would most likely be slower than UPC's advertised speed; although Magnet advertise 24 meg you'd need to be very close to the exchange to get it.

Where I work, the company have Magnet ADSL2+ and it syncs at about 11-12 meg. However the service is rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bear in mind if you're losing speed through wifi now, it'll be similar with magnet too. At least if you're on a 120mb UPC line there's scope for increases, with magnet it'll be whatever they can get you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Magnet looks like the most comparable, but I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water so to speak, would magnets broadband be as good as UPC's? any input would be appriciated.

The short answer is no, DSL is distance dependant so you could get any speed really, depends on how close you are to the exchange.

You should look into why you are only getting 18Mbs, are you using wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

bealtine wrote: »

You should look into why you are only getting 18Mbs, are you using wifi?

yes, I am using wifi, I didn't realize that the speed was affected over wifi, it's obvious I suppose.

Thanks for your responce's, I'll have to think twice about replacing the upc broadband, there would be war if F.i.f.a on the X-Box was affected, it's just the surcharge that upc charge if I get rid of the other two services thats annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i wouldnt advise getting rid of upc. with magnet its highly unlikely youd get 18mb. would you not keep the phone and pay the 6 euro a month(i think) and not use it?, thus youll only have to pay to get rid of the tv.

You can get phone and broadband 30mb for 42 with upc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bob The Nero

Sunny!! wrote: »
    i wouldnt advise getting rid of upc. with magnet its highly unlikely youd get 18mb. would you not keep the phone and pay the 6 euro a month(i think) and not use it?, thus youll only have to pay to get rid of the tv.

You can get phone and broadband 30mb for 42 with upc.

Yea, I think thats what I'll do. cheers

Advertisement